Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WipEout HD's Handling

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

//Mag Strip reply
    I've recently played 2097, if the floatyness and the way the ship slides on the track walls is back on HD that would be superb! Just dreaming...
    Last edited by Nadia Elenova; 23rd April 2008 at 10:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

"Just dreaming..."

Aren't we all... ^^

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

Quote Originally Posted by Skvall View Post
    The sensitive buttons worked great even in MGS2 with Dualshock 2, so I wouldnt worry about it.
    They worked horribly in Wipeout Fusion. You had to keep the Accelerate button jammed down as hard as possible for the entire race - relax your thumb even a little and your ship would start slowing down. If I wanted to slow down I'd use the airbrakes!

I ended up plugging in a Dualshock 1 to correct this flaw in the game.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Or If you set your accelerate button to one of the shoulder buttons that fixed the problem too
    Anyway I hope HD's hadnling has a similar feel to wip3out SE mmm mmm mmm

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Quote Originally Posted by G-Hob View Post
    They worked horribly in Wipeout Fusion. You had to keep the Accelerate button jammed down as hard as possible for the entire race - relax your thumb even a little and your ship would start slowing down. If I wanted to slow down I'd use the airbrakes!

I ended up plugging in a Dualshock 1 to correct this flaw in the game.
    I totally agree with you. Pressure sensitivity is lame. I even prefer playing with the digital D-pad instead of analogue, and I feel like I have enough control over the craft.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Dream Cloud <mmmm wireless neggie>

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

If I am correct some games use the Pressure sensitive buttons (Like GT5 Prologue) of the SIXAXIS/Dualshock 3 really well so you do not have to press down very hard to get 100% pressure. In fact I think it is rather impossible to get 50% pressure, but 100% pressure is really easy, just press the button like you normally would on a controller (No need of an elephant to sit on it . Of course that may depend on the game, but I wouldn't worry about it too much, the only place where you would actually need to release the X button a little in WipEout HD being the left right angle turn after the starting line on Chengou Project (And then you don't really need to, just slam the left airbrake really hard and it should pass).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

Ahhh so many of you have brought up great points. My favorite WipEout was WipEout XL, so I wish they would kind of take a step in that direction again... Super floaty physics, wall-scraping, ultra-fast gameplay and handling... ah yes. I definately will give the SIXAXIS motion sensing a try, but I will probably end up playing seriously on the D-PAD (oh yes, I do perfer the D-pad over the analogue stick!!)

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia Elenova View Post
    The only wipeout I've played with sensitive buttons is Wipeout Fusion...
    Wait... You've played with a neGcon right?

Timezone
    GMT -6

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/199557.html has a movie (which I'm sure many have seen) with a really nice segment on the sixaxis tilt features.

It seems like it would be nice for matching your pitch to the incline/decline of the track, and since the control is so fluid it might even be better for steering outright. I sure hope so, because with completely fluid lines new track records could be absolutely insane... theoretically anyway. Someone a few posts back made a good point about locks on subtle shifts of the controller. Let's hope that's the case.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_VII View Post
    Wait... You've played with a neGcon right?
    er... no, I've never had a neGcon.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Wip3ou7pure

I've never used the negCon either... /cry

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Heh. I used it, for ten minutes

PSN ID
    madwiperII

I ask those who have played HD, is the handling similar to pulse, and pures where you slide, and bottom out alot, or is it similar to the traditional wipeout 2097 with the floaty and nifty feel?

I am in debate wether to get a ps3 or not. If its too similar to pulses handling ill forget it, but if its like 2097s handling then i must get it!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

You can't really put it strictly on either side of the spectrum. I think it plays a lot different than Pulse (and nothing like Pure), but that might just have to do with the fact that you can play it on an actual controller with good analog sticks. Wallscraping is definitely back to some extend (judging from preview build), so that brings it closer to 2097 I guess, but don't expect the same handling like the old games, these weren't based on an actual physics engine like nowadays.
    As to the question should you get a PS3 for wipEoutHD? HELL YES!

PSN ID
    CurlyPutz

Cheers for the info eLhabib, can't wait to get my hands on this badboy!