Thread: WipEout HD's Handling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 12

Exclamation WipEout HD's Handling

This, my friends, will define the game. Forget all that next-gen graphics hoo-hah, the handling engine of this game will make it, or break it.

Now that we (or, some of us) have Pulse in our hot little hands we have an insight as to what HD may contain, in the way of ships, tracks, design features and what-not. All the tracks ive piloted so far have perfect flow, they fly incredibly well, and the new Mag-Strip sections add that extra bit of flair that Pure's tracks missed somewhat. This, matched with Pulse's handling engine, has quite possibly given us the best series of circuits ever featured in the series.

However, im unsure that Pure's tracks would suit this new handling, leaving us (well, SL) with a bit of a dilemma.

Should they have written a new engine from the ground up? Using what they have learnt from each handling engine, a brand new engine would come to light. This would change the feel of the old tracks, as well as the new tracks, which would be very disappointing.

Or would they have been better off simply modifying the existing engine for use with the PS3? There is a risk that the engine might not work perfectly on the older tracks - but we would keep the gorgeous feel of Pulse.

As the elite pilots of the world (well, i like to think we are) what is our collective opinion? What do we want to see? We are the ones that are going to enjoy this game the most, so tell us how you think it should be!

Also, i wish we had Pulse long ago, so i could have created this thread at a time where answers could have changed the game.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

HDs handling is great, feels nice and floaty, the Pure track available at the time felt better than it did in Pure, a better sense of control I felt. HD is gonna rule supreme

PSN ID
    stin_wz

I gotta admit HD is actually an excellent game, even handling too but the handling wise are totally different because, we are using joystick instead of PSP. I wish I can explain to you better.

stevie

Stevie did you get to try out using the 6-axis motion control? Or just analog stick?

I think the 'handling engine' will be exactly like pure and pulse, so there is nothing to worry about

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

It was just the standard controls we had access to at the time. But I agree, the Pure tracks we played felt just like they should, no issues at all

PSN ID
    jacenat

Quote Originally Posted by RingoSpoon View Post
    I think the 'handling engine' will be exactly like pure and pulse, so there is nothing to worry about
    pure and pulse handle quite differntly, and i can't imagine what impact pulse's handling would have on my laptimes on the pure tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Charlie : maybe a little faster will be better

Seriously from what we saw on pulse preview / review / final game, handling is changing for a great result on the final one.
    So for what we tested on HD on that 'early' dev version we all got an impressive feeling : this game will be truly fantastic when finished

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

//Mag Strip reply
    I've recently played 2097, if the floatyness and the way the ship slides on the track walls is back on HD that would be superb! Just dreaming...
    Last edited by Nadia Elenova; 23rd April 2008 at 10:07 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

"Just dreaming..."

Aren't we all... ^^