Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who's a bit dissapointed?

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Default Who's a bit dissapointed?

I don't own a PSP so it's been a while since I've seen a new wipeout game... and from the footage I've seen of HD, this is a completely different game to what I know as the wipeout series. I can't really explain it, but to me it feels like i'm watching the new mario kart rather than the wipeout i've always loved.

What I'm asking is does anyone else feel the slightest bit dissapointed that this probably means wipeout will never go back to whatever it was in the original ps1 titles.

Don't get me wrong, HD is what has convinced me I'm going to choose a PS3 over 360 when the time comes, but I can't help but feel a bit let down.

Sorry for the vagueness of this message, perhaps I'll elaborate later when I'm less tired and give examples of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by lochiebrad View Post
    ...perhaps I'll elaborate later when I'm less tired...
    ... or, when the game comes out and you have more to go on than a few videos.

PSN ID
    Alex_Se

I think Wipeout HD is going to be great to be honest, excluding some small things like:
    -Low number of tracks/Teams
    -The hud.

It's much more realistic and flexible.

i know what egg is saying about pre-judgement, but personally, with wipeout 3, fusion, pure, pulse, i have seem lots of media/demo's pre release and judged the games before playing them on that material. Video's tell you a hell of a lot about the look of a game, the way it plays, the features it has (kANDANG's video's on youtube drew me into buying a psp and pure!). Each time my pre-judgement hasn't been wrong or far off. i don't like the 'look' of HD, it was the same with pulse, but as a big fan of the series i gave it a shot. Pulse is on the very edge, i played it, but disliked quite a lot about it, HD seems to be following in it's footsteps, and you can hate me for saying it but i hate the HUD, did anyone have issues with the one from the early previews? besides it not been bright enough.

i agree that the series has moved away from classic wipeout and for that i am very dissapointed, but i guess we gotta deal with it.

i've given HD some grief because it's not what i want (i'm entitled to be annoyed as i haven't had a good console game of wipeout since wipeout 3: special edition!) but for fans of pulse it's looking good, and the guys working on it, clearly have this direction and design in mind, so hell they've done wonders in that respect, nice graphics, ships that look awesome, even if one in particular is missing. and console versions of the psp tracks so many love.

you can't please them all and they haven't

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

while it may not be what 3SE fans would like, I think it will certainly please the 2097 fans, and of course the pure and pulse fans. As you said, you can't please them all, but the only real issue is the HUD imo. While it probably won't be exactly what everyone wanted, I think that with online multiplayer and superslick 60fps it will definitely be the closest thing to really flying those things.
    And it certainly won't be anywhere near the misstep that was Fusion. Actually, I think this could be the game that makes wipEout really popular, which is a good thing.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

well, at the beginning (from the first videos i saw) hd seem to me just a reissue of pure/pulse mixed up and shaked with next gen graphics. The hud, which you can like or dislike, reminded me of ps1 wipeouts (it's so '90) and all the game has imho that atmosphere, which i really like. so it may be not as fresh air in the series (but it doesn't want to) but it's a wipeout game at 100%..
    just my point of view..

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

ya , dont get me wrong, i like the old wipeouts as well as the new ones, but 3 and xl... i just cant see those game mechanics really carrying over into a next gen console, wipEout is going next gen, as it should be, the classics are great but you just gotta accept the new wave, true fans of the whole series will appreciate HD for what it is. and yes i also believe that it will make wipEout more popular, which is great. Also if a full on WipEout ps3 comes out sometime in the future, more people will buy it due to HD

Timezone
    GMT + 1

I can see why SL wanted to take the series in a new direction eventually. You can't just do the same game over and over again.

I'm just glad they took a step back with Pure after Fusion. Though Pulse and HD might seem like a step in the wrong direction again, one can always hope that the next game will be even more "Pure" than Pure.

I definitely believe that (after this many years) there is a market for it. I'm sorry but I really can't see why the physics wouldn't suit the today's consoles.

The newer games however are great to... just not with as great physics as the first three. Tough SL really have brought some great innovations like; absorbing weapons, downloadable content and Zone, in my opinion they also brought some bad innovations.

I really would like to see a game where the crafts doesn't vertically align with the track at all times and don't have magstrips or barrel rolls. It would truly be nice if SL would take a step back and try to take the series in another diraction.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

the only thing that will dissapoint me is if the game is un-controlable like fusion was on the ps2.

I sold my ps2 not long after the fusion dissapointment

if HD is not as fun to control and play as 2097 and wip3out with a negcon on the ps1 then I will be very angry and start send studio liverpool emails to fix it.

As for the look of the game it looks stunning and I think it will be a fine installment as this series has always taken every sony console to the max visualy, need less to say i'm drooling.

P.S. to thoes that don't like the hud, get over it!!!!!!!! you should be watch the road anyway who's got time to look at the hud at break neck speed anyway.
    Last edited by Assimilator; 12th April 2008 at 11:46 PM.

hard to avoid it when it consumes so much of the screen, looks like it's from the eighties and shakes/blurs when anything happens! ha ha

with regards to the control though, i think they've learn't from fusion how not to do it, pure and pulse handelled pretty well.

Timezone
    GMT + 10

Well, I've had some sleep now and can think more clearly.

What I don't like about what I've seen of HD are small things like when you run over a boost pad the whole camera jolts back as if you used the boost powerup, and the ships look like they're hugging the track a lot, especially with the magstrip stuff, so there's bound to be less pitch control than in the original games.

I don't know why, but watching the new footage of mario kart wii, and then looking at HD videos (in 3rd person), the games actually look kinda similar in the way the craft moves... which kills me.

However, the game looks gorgeous and will sell like crazy if they get the price right, so I welcome all new wipers with open arms. You can be assured I will be right there with them online when I buy my PS3, and won't be bitter. I just think that we should all know that the style original wipeout games is now more than likely lost to time, and we should all try to keep the legend alive in our memories.

Anyone know what I'm trying to say?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

memories my ass,, i've still got my ps1 hooked up with 2097 in the cd tray and negcon connected ready to go for when i feel like a twist. (can't say spin cause they don't have wheels)

Timezone
    GMT + 10

haha same here! What I mean is, most of us (including me) will move on to the future wipeouts because of online and the pretty graphics. Lest we forget where the legend was born, though.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by lochiebrad View Post
    What I don't like about what I've seen of HD are small things like when you run over a boost pad the whole camera jolts back as if you used the boost powerup.
    That.

It's pissed me off for months, that has - I hate the camera being ****ed with unless it's really subtle, and that effect is about as far from subtle as it gets.

I asked why a ship in a near frictionless environment would accelerate then decelerate in that manner, too, but there wasn't an answer. Somebody stuck it in at some point, people got used to it and it stayed in.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

Yes, the thing mentioned above is the biggest turn off for me. It's not pretty, it doesn't look like it enhances gameplay nor does it give you a bigger sense of speed. Even though it seems most videos were played in Venom or Flash class, I doubt it'll be any less in higher speed classes.

All in all, it does look pretty, huh? The design of this game is still top notch. Most buyers won't care about anything else, except for the dedicated fanbase. I'm not buying this though, let me just stay that. I'll just watch the pretty videos and enjoy that.
    Last edited by TearsToShreds; 13th April 2008 at 11:19 AM.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Well we have been seeing the old vids. So here is to hoping that SL have taken our criticism and done something about it.

HUD and mario kart speed booster are the two the irks me. Funny enough, I didn;' mind it in Mario Kart. But it doesn't sit well for me in Wipeout.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

I dont like it at all. That is a bigger problem than the HUD judging from the videos. But I hope its not as bad when actually playing the game. Because Im guessing they will keep it in.

PSN ID
    TearsToShreds

The HUD doesn't look that bad at all, in my opinion. It's just functional, and isn't noticable enough to bother me. I've already accepted the fact that the DR aren't contributing to the series anymore, so an unspectacular HUD isn't too much of a problem.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    TheFrostE

i highly doubt they will/have fixed the HUD OR the speed boost effect since those videos. im sure they are more focused on the track re-creation, ship design, balanced play, and the online portion. why spend the time on a couple extra features that really arent that bad in the first place, do you play the game to look at the pretty HUD while your racing in phantom? unless your new to WO you really have no need to watch your HUD constantly while racing, whats the point of checking speed? whats the point of checking laps? and if you absorb enough, you should have no problem with shield. my HUD is basically all in my head. so would you rather have them focus more on these silly details and possibly have a poorer online/ overall poor core game? not me!

PS- unfortunately, in the grand scheme of things its about the money for the company, just like everything else out there. they will do what they will to save money and make more money, and its not free to just go back and say "alright all of our fans said to redo this stuff so lets dump more unecassary money into the project and do it their way". they want to make more money, and for people that will be playing wipeout for the first time when HD drops, they arent going to notice any difference between the 90s WO and this one, cuz they havent played them. liverpool will make their money regardless of the die hard fan feedback
    Last edited by TheFrostE; 13th April 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

TheFrostE: Thats why I think the boosteffect is more important than the HUD. Its affecting the actual racingexperience more than some information on the screen. But like someone said in another thread It may not be as obvious in Phantom, and when you play yourself, so maybe its not that bad after all.. or maybe it is. We will see I guess hehe.
    Last edited by Skvall; 13th April 2008 at 04:52 PM.