Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WipEout HD's Handling

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Default Barrel Roll Idea

Would it work to actually flip the controller to perform the barrel roll?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Quote Originally Posted by The Gracer View Post
    haha, sparked a massive interest?! talk to nearly any forum regular about a neggie and their eyes will light up, suddenly making strange twisting motions in midair, talking very loudly and quickly, before breaking into a cold sweat.

The neGcon was a brilliant controller, no doubt, but frankly i dont see them reviving it. The original controllers were seen by the general public as gimmicky, much like the later jogcon, and to the average consumer, the SIXAXIS controller would appear to be far superior. The only Namco controller that sold well were the lightguns, because you needed them to play games like time crisis and point blank.

Id love to see it, but it wont happen. Its just too 1995.
    "nearl any forum regular" eah i like thoes odds time for the petition.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    Would it work to actually flip the controller to perform the barrel roll?
    If this is Wipeout HD and to seem more realistic, I don't mean to be negative, but I for myself could do without the barrel role, it just doesn't make much sense... I'd much rather have a turbo-boost-energy-drain type thing that was in Wipeout 3 and 3 Special Editon...

PSN ID
    madwiperII

I agree, the barrel role adds a crash cart feel to the game, we should abolish the barrel role, and use hyperthrust again.

As for the handling of the game i hope to see it somewhat close to wipeout 2097, or wipeouts handling engine. If its too close to pures i might not bother getting the HD version :S
    Last edited by infoxicated; 17th January 2008 at 02:43 PM. Reason: quote removed - read the rules!

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

I don't know, I'm ready to believe that using the sixaxis will work nicely. Which is shocking, really, considering how much I love the NegCon... but sometimes, you just have to accept that some things you love belong in the past, I guess. *sniff*

<offtopic>I used to have this joystick which I used for years on all my c64 and amiga games. It looks weird but felt so right, in the end I just couldn't use the typical 'flightstick' controller. Eventually no amount of superglue would repair it... but by then I was using my SNES more anyway.</offtopic>

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I agree, the barrel role adds a crash cart feel to the game, we should abolish the barrel role, and use hyperthrust again.

As for the handling of the game i hope to see it somewhat close to wipeout 2097, or wipeouts handling engine. If its too close to pures i might not bother getting the HD version :S
    I agree that the barrel roll was aesthetically detractive, but knowing when to do that kept you on your tows; and nailing successive barrel rolls, or salvaging a flyoff in pure was just plain exhilirating. Maybe what they could do is add a setting as they did with weapons: being able to set it on or off for multiplayer. I hope the sound of the following boost is improved; less "toylike". And maybe vary the pitch of it. More base for heavier craft, and higher pitch for lighter craft. I think the sound effects of XL were more immersive, with their echoing. And the ingame announcer was more tacit, gritty, and fit the electronic motif and primal, viceral combat. Pulse definitely add the explosive sounds. Also, I think XL had the best implementation of the plasma bolt, graphically and soundwise. They can tone down the damage a bit for the sake of multiplayer.
    I also preferred the light trails of the crafts and the lighting effects of the rockets and missles in XL. So I hope they exaggerate the lighting effects in HD, as they are perfectly capable of doing that with the ps3 hardware.

But I agree, XL had the best feel. And I think due notice to that was taken, as pulse does feel "XL'ish" at times. And at times, it does excel over XL in terms of sensation of speed, particularly around winding curves and corners.
    Last edited by ima_gin_e; 2nd March 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

Quote Originally Posted by element42 View Post
    I don't know, I'm ready to believe that using the sixaxis will work nicely. Which is shocking, really, considering how much I love the NegCon... but sometimes, you just have to accept that some things you love belong in the past, I guess. *sniff*

<offtopic>I used to have this joystick which I used for years on all my c64 and amiga games. It looks weird but felt so right, in the end I just couldn't use the typical 'flightstick' controller. Eventually no amount of superglue would repair it... but by then I was using my SNES more anyway.</offtopic>
    Heh I know what you mean I had this awsom arcade stick for my c64 it was only 1 button and it sat in the palm of your left hand the button was undernieth on the right side. I also used it on my amiga and even on my sega master system and megadrive for sonic.

I played 2097 the other day on my LCD scren but I don't recomend it the LCD made it look blockier than I remember it being so I hooked it up to the old panasonic 68cm tube and the blocks were gone

So just remember if you keep the things from the past in working order you can always re live thoes moments.

long live the neggie

PSN ID
    Curufinwe5503

They really, really, REALLY need to bring back the wall scraping from 2097 for Wipeout HD.

Getting just close enough to the walls to see that shower of sparks from scraping without slowing down is something the developers of Wipeout never should have gone away from.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    ColdRemS

Totally agree with you G-Hob!

PSN ID
    Axellink

Quote Originally Posted by G-Hob View Post
    They really, really, REALLY need to bring back the wall scraping from 2097 for Wipeout HD.

Getting just close enough to the walls to see that shower of sparks from scraping without slowing down is something the developers of Wipeout never should have gone away from.
    This to be honest and also the floatyness. If they do this, then the PS3 is getting purchased. I just can;t get a PS3 for MGS4, I need something that will keep me playing.

Unhappy mini-rant

I'm sure HD already has its handling finished so there's probably not much we can say that will influence anything.

However, I have a few comments about momentum and "bounce".

It was mentioned in the past that the bounciness of the wipeout games was toned down for QA purposes. Personally I couldn't care less if it's possible for some people to spend hours using a game's physics to accelerate themselves right out of the level. I don't care if glitching is possible if it means my game has sweet/ fun /exhilerating momentum.

Play N+. Jump on a big trampoline. Dive off a diving board.

Magnetic strips that hold you to the track are s##t. There I said it. Put them in if you have to for a loop or whatever but in pulse they are used to eliminate bounce to stop players bouncing off the track or bottoming out and personally I think the QA process has eaten into the wipEout fun more than it should.

I want to feel my craft rocking along on the edge of control, barely staying within the confines of the tracks, I want the high jumps to feel like a rush and I dont want my ship to stick low to the surface or bottom out with tiny jumps. Fusion had no vertical dynamic movement as you flowed around. Pure and Pulse brought a bit of the dynamic feel back. But it could be better. Fair enough the PSP can't calculate environments like a home console can and so QA might be freaking out with regard to popup/ tearing textures / and obscured camera view which is what happens when the bounciness is more fluid and people can hop themselves off a curve and bounce out of a level using real momentum. But the physics and the anti-gravity "feeling" mean more to me than torn graphics.

So there.

I'm sure some will scream that using momentum to break out of a level would be a nightmare for online gaming and they're probably right but I still think the game would be more fun / more of a rush.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

As much as I feel that the real floating is never coming back, I totally agree with you. Unfortunately, in this day and age, a quality game can't afford to have obvious glitches like back in the day when glitches were to be expected. So unless they find a better way to keep the crafts from floating off track, I guess we won't get that good old wipEout feel back...

PSN ID
    Axellink

The floatyness is the main reason why I fell in love with the series. It felt exactly how a anti gravity craft should feel. Now with HD I see they have made an effort but it still seems not enough. Sorry but it's true.

Oh and mag strips are good for loops but lets keep them there please. I just hope they adjust for the next Wipeout game. Also get rid of BR's

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greif

Enough of floatiness, I need a spin in 2097 now.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    jklasdf

well, as it turns out there are barrel rolls in HD that give speed boosts.
    i just saw it in the gameplay videos.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

To the people who had the chance to play the preview:

As the X-button is now pressure sensitive, I want to ask if it really makes a difference in gameplay.
    I imagine it's hard to change pressure on one of the round buttons because they are so thin and - at least for me - there's only press button or not.
    I came to the idea to use the R2/L1 button for acceleration (because airbrakes do not have any pressure differences and are probably better on L1 and L2 anyway).
    Does it make any difference? Can you take hard corners better if you do not accelerate 100%? I imagine the ship going faster back to topspeed if you just have 50% pressure (compared to total 0% pressure) for a short slow down.
    And is playing enjoyable with four fingers always on the L/R-buttons (cause I usually just have two fingers there)?

Or is it better to slow down with pitch?

I think WOHD really offers significant changes in gaming mechanics because of those possibilities. On PSP it's almost impossible to use pitch really efficient if you're staring at the same moment. That changes for WOHD - especially because of the SIXAXIS control.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I find the pressure sensitive x-button extremely helpful! It takes some getting used to the sensitivity, but you can control the speed very precisely. It even shows you a percentage of how hard you are pressing next to the speed bar, helps a lot with finding the right amount of pressure.
    However, there was only one single turn in the 4 track preview (vinetak, anulpha pass, chenghou project, moa therma) where I really needed it, and that's the hairpin after the first long right on chenghou. It's impossible to take at full speed in phantom, and if you let go of the x-button completely, it slows you down too much. Releasing the pressure to about 70% for a second gives you the perfect speed to take it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Squallie

The sensitive buttons worked great even in MGS2 with Dualshock 2, so I wouldnt worry about it.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I think as far as configurations go I'm going to go with a variation of my neGcon setup:

R2 - thrust
    L2 - weapon
    L1 - absorb
    R1 - look back
    triangle - air brake left
    circle - air brake right

I think it would work well with tilt enabled or even with the analog stick/d pad.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Nadia_Elenova

The only wipeout I've played with sensitive buttons is Wipeout Fusion...