Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: website goes online

That's true - I don't really get that. I'm Irish but British-born (dual citizenship) but because of my place of birth, I fall under the British rules when it comes to getting into the US. And it's way harder than going through Irish rules. Weird.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Do the US not deal out some sort of hypocritical citizenship test that would probably result in the deportation of 3/4 of the United States if they actually gave it to their own people?

If I were allowed to make the rules for citizenship in the U.S.A., there would be a requirement that even native-born American citizens must be able to tell the difference in meaning between ''believe'' and ''know''.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Unless you're british - for some reason the floodgates are wide open for everywhere else in the world, but if you're british the barriers to entry are much higher.

Oh, and welcome to the site ayeonich - do I detect a fellow Charger fan?
    I do know why that is. The gov. want people with no credentials to fill all the 'lowly' jobs and save all the high paying ones for citizens. Which I would suspect is the same reason it is really hard for an American like me to move to the UK. To move to the UK I would have to prove a way to sustain a livable income and whoever was willing to hire me would have to give a reason as to why they can not fill the position with a UK citizen. Too bad too, I would love to spend some time over there.

And thanks for the warm welcome. And a Charger fan I am (sounds funny that, that rhymes.) We had a great run this year. I hope they stay the San Diego Chargers though, it would be a shame them leaving the stadium. I have lived next to the stadium my entire life and the Padres moved downtown a couple of years ago and I would hate to see the Chargers go too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Do the US not deal out some sort of hypocritical citizenship test that would probably result in the deportation of 3/4 of the United States if they actually gave it to their own people?
    You have got that absolutely correct. I know that most Americans don't know the answers to the questions on the test (even how simple they are.) I actually have to drive my girlfriends brother downtown to take the test in a month or so.
    Last edited by ayeonich; 8th February 2008 at 11:50 PM.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

What was the topic of this thread again?

This thread has gone waaaaaaaaaaay off topic so in a pretty much crap attempt to bring it back...... why have'nt they made one standard of english which everyone follows?

off topic// When is the HD site going to be fully functional?

Anyone see what i did there? lol

Who is this ''they'' that is going to make everyone use exactly the same wordset?

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

I meant whoever has the authority to control the standards of the English language, if such a thing does exist.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Control the English language? Impossible, every day new words and phrases pop up(usually in gaming circles and on forums), I bet before 1995 almost none of you would have shouted "OWNED!" when someone fell over or off something. Take the word Google for example it was a noun and is also now a verb, e.g. "I'm gonna google cloverfeild and see what the hell its all about." It isn't a modern thing either, "I'm going to hoover the carpet" Hoover is a make of vacuum cleaner, It's all to do with the laziness of the tounge, "I'm going to google..." is easier to say than "I'm going to go on google and search for..." although they mean the same things. The invention of new words and phrases is what makes languages as diverse as they are today, If new words were never invented we would stuck with saying things like: "He was killed by a person paid to commit the act" (we can thank Shakespeare for the word assassinated) If new words were never created we would be trapped by an inability to express ourselves fully and quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    I meant whoever has the authority to control the standards of the English language, if such a thing does exist.
    It obviously doesn't.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

'Tis a shame there was never an Academie Anglaise.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Quote Originally Posted by omega329 View Post
    (we can thank Shakespeare for the word assassinated) If new words were never created we would be trapped by an inability to express ourselves fully and quickly.
    Speaking of new words, we can also 'shank' Mr. Shakespeare for making some of our GCSE & A level English exams so friggin enfuriating. *i'm making this post while taking a break from revision.

{notes a certain disrespect for one of the greatest writers ever.} tsk.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    Speaking of new words, we can also 'shank' Mr. Shakespeare for making some of our GCSE & A level English exams so friggin enfuriating. *i'm making this post while taking a break from revision.
    he's one of the greatest writers of all time, give him a break! You've probably studied "of mice and men" or "to kill a mocking bird" as well, personally, i found "of mice and men" an astounding book when i decided to read it earlier this year, I thought: "hey, I might be doing it when I start my GCSEs next year lets give it a go." and read it, brilliant book. Thats why their studied, because their so damn good and intellectual, they also aren't a niche genre, I've read some incredible sci-fi and teen books in my time, ("shade's children" garth nix, incredible; "a darkling plain" Phillip reeve, the way the ending makes you feel is indescribable) which won't be studied in a million years due to their content.
    BTW this thread is going waay off topic, probably caused by me and that stupid scrabble joke.

Yes, I'm afraid I contributed to the offtopicness, since I saw an injustice being done. Just because one doesn't want at some phase of one's life to study something rightly admired for its greatness doesn't mean that the creator of it should be blamed for one's own lack of desire. If it's desired to continue this branch of the off topic, it should be taken to PM or the ''Offtopic'' section of the forums.

Back on topic, please. That means you, Lance

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

Sorry people.

Realistically, when can i expect to see the site running?

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

congratulations, you just killed the thread...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Assimilator69

bah no new news on this game is scaring me first it was dec now its may comon guys give us a one track playable demo at least or even a video preview in the store something we can realy drool at

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Are you surprised at the lack of announcements? Wipeout always seems to be done like this, time to change your tune Sony I don't think the lack of announcements did Pulse any good, no release date till a week before it came out then a 'stealth' if you like release with no advertising at all? I'd really like to know how well or not this game did.

HD will likely have the arse delayed off it, how soon do you think they will release it after they just launched Pulse in the US? Despite the fact HD is for entirely different system you have to try and guess what Sony is thinking.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Sites live!! NOW!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!