Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WipEoutZone Folding@Home Team

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Chrono11

Btw, why does India seem to have it's own system of lights? Everything in folding looks consistent but India.

I also noticed, what I determined were US soldiers in Afghanistan.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Or friendly terrorists?

One light I saw was in the middle of nowhere - a boat, maybe?

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

I found looking at japan rather funny...

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

How? Lack of lights?

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

yeah... I thought I would have been technicolour city over there, all I saw was a few lights

There always seems to be some geezer in orkney running folding as well. If you look carefully there are also some tiny islands in the middle of the pacific and indian oceans. Pretty interesting

Yeah, and I`m starting to feel a little bit competitive about folding now. I think maybe I might take competition too far sometimes.

But I`m wondering what`s the best ethical choice here. Do you create more good with your small contribution to the folding programme than the harm you cause by leaving your PS3 on and using more energy resources?

I think I read somewhere that with the new updates (it's on the folding site iirc) your PS3 uses 115W. I presume that is per hour.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Couple of weekends back it was my Uncle Peter's 60th birthday and while he was round I had F@H running as something to do whilst I recharged controllers. Uncle Peter is a scientist with a seriously strong background in biology. I asked him to explain what was going on with the proteins and his explanation was awesome!

Apparently he'd tried to go the teaching route at some point in his career, but it didn't fit with him so well, which I find amazing considering how well he explained it to me. I cant remember all of it, admittedly, but by way of example he explained the difference between biological and non-biological detergent by what they were doing at the molecular level.

Bit of a mind job, but fascinating - especially having it explained by someone with so much enthusiasm for the subject.

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    Yeah, and I`m starting to feel a little bit competitive about folding now. I think maybe I might take competition too far sometimes.

But I`m wondering what`s the best ethical choice here. Do you create more good with your small contribution to the folding programme than the harm you cause by leaving your PS3 on and using more energy resources?
    Oh, the Irony.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I don't let my PS3 fold anymore, I know it's a good cause and all but eh, I want my PS3 to last as long as possible considering I payed launch day prices for it and I don't think leaving it on folding is the best way to go about that.

Then theres the power it'll use.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Greif

Joined the cause. The name is Fuchikoma (my PS3's network name) since it does all the work, not me.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Not in the team but I did contribute

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

join'd!

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I've not done any folding in ages - if my PS3 is on, then I'm playing it!

Otherwise, now that it's in the bedroom with me, it'd be too noisy to have on through the night - would probably make the room quite hot, too.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Got an nvidia 8 series and above graphics card?
    Folding @home now runs on Nvidia GFX hardware, delivering performance probably faster than the PS3. I can complete a 25000000 frame project in around 2 and a half hours

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    motorsagmannen

made a team before i joined WZ its called "wipeout_cancer" and has a small array of zoners in it, i will suggest a merge with this team among its contributors

Timezone
    GMT + 8
    PSN ID
    diddymal

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    Then theres the power it'll use.
    A standard PS3 uses somewhere in the region of 200W of power, so it's like leaving a few lights on in your house. Not really that much when you think about it. I'm currently folding for GTAforums, I've got about 76K points, if I'm not playing on my ps3 I'm folding. My crappy laptop folds 24/7. I'd say it would take my laptop a week to do what my PS3 does in a day.

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    NightArh

I thought a little and decided to install screensaver clients on all office computers at my work. The only their function now is heating the air

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    bjoern92

Current prices is sky high in Sweden right now, but I'm going to join and fold some for the WipEoutZone team.. hope it still exist!?

More people should contribute to Folding@Home. I imagine it could make a change. The app is pretty great too