Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: WipEout Pulse Reviewed

Timezone
    GMT -6

Halo 3 had similar handling to Halo 2 and Halo. You still see it sucking up terrific reveiws.

But even if Pulse handles like Pure, the way that Pulse incorporates that handling, with new track designs, ship stats, and weapons, might make it better than Pure. It's not the handling, it's the way you use it.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    "Sure, it’s another great instalment of Wipeout, but under the gloss it’s little more."
    Edge actually said THAT in their review

Sheesh.

Timezone
    GMT -6

That was extremely pompous of them.

Timezone
    GMT -5

I don't understand why a game /has/ to be groundbreaking to get a good review.

I, for one, couldn't give a toss about groundbreaking new technology, or even genre, if the games don't appeal to me.

If a great game has a great sequel, I would laud it as a massive success, as following up to something with a solid reputation is a mind numbingly tough job.

In my opinion, you boys from SL shouldn't give a f*** about what these idiots give you in numbers, as long as you got high marks on your core values!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I wonder how these morons will rate GTA IV.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Does it really matter, though?

The original Halo got marks like 10/10 and I thought it was a pile of cock. Driver 3 got 9/10's and I had returned the piece of crap within 24 hours for a refund that the staff of GAME handed over with guilty looking faces for taking cash off of me for it in the first place.

Meanwhile, I've had plenty of enjoyment out of IndyCar Series 2005 and I'd be the first to admit it'd be lucky to scrape through the most balanced review with anything more than a 5/10.

Review scores are all fine and dandy, but they seldom relate to the experience of the individual.

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    Anyway-- IMO the "real" reviews will be those done by folks at IGN and Gamespot, and even more importantly, by the folks here
    Frankly, I couldn't give a toss as to what either IGN or Gamespot say.

I hate all reviews on anything done by anyone other than folks I know and trust personally. i.e Forum members, friends, and family. Even those, I will gauge by how I view the individual in their preferences and bias.

At the end of the day, the only thing that interests me in an anonymous review is fact and features, i.e. the talk about the content.

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

If it's not too much work, do you mind just giving us the general gist of the review for us non dutch speaking users?

PSN ID
    MarcoM1972

Well actually there no info in the review that you can't find on this board. Just a very positive summing up of all the features.

The reviewer did not had the change to try the online play or the paint your ship application.

But at least the reviewer is a fan of the series.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

Alright thanks mate

Timezone
    GMT -6

That's a really positive review from Insidegamer. Great!

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

A finnish review http://pelaajalehti.com/arvostelut/p...wipeout-pulse/. Needs registration for full version, sorry. Gotta pick up paper copy tomorrow to check it out.

Mediocre score, but the free summary on that site I found particularly interesting:

"What is use for good handling and fierce speeds without fine and challenging tracks?"

To give some (odd) perspective on this review: I've seen that particular reviewer (Puha) quite many times on television and at least three times he was wearing a wip3out-T-shirt: One of them being an F-Zero GX review where he commented GX being 'best futuristic racing game since wip3out'. Later Pure was Game of the Week in the show (half of the review was fusion bashing ). So I assume it's pretty safe to bet there's at least one hardcore ag-racer feeling game's too easy.
    Last edited by supersocks; 31st October 2007 at 05:47 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Did someone show him where the Phantom button was yes?

Timezone
    GMT -6

That was strange review.... Did they go into detail of why they didn't like the circuits? By looking on the website, the circuits look to be the best since XL IMHO. If they're blathering idiots like EDGE, shame on them.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

F-Zero GX had very diverse and challenging tracks (ducks incoming tomato fire). So that point is valid.

But I would have to play the game before making a fair assessment on how challenging/unique/fun/or not the circuits are...

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

That's more what I'd like to hear!!! Very happy!!

Timezone
    GMT -6

Still, the track design can't be that terrible. I mean, we've seen how the circuits look, right? They can't be so terrible that the entire game is ruined.

I guess how they look and how they play are two different things but, in general, the layout in Pure was great so I can't imagine Pulse being any different.

7 in GamesTM too.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I was gonna make some point about how the score was irrelevant to most people here because we're all gonna buy it anyway...

but then I realised that the problem is that taken as a whole: people are lazy.
    which is why there's a number at the end of reviews, so they can skip to the end and see in a couple of digits what would otherwise be 2 pages of reading.

This is why low scores for pulse wind us up... because people with no prior exposure to wipeout will see a racing game with an average score and not bother to buy it, hurting chances for full sequels that will keep us happy.

I will say that some in this thread, though, are getting more wound up than they should. A 7 is a passing grade in game reviews... and that's the lowest we've seen

and who knows? maybe those reviewers are as big a fans of F-Zero as we are of wipeout?