Thread: Fusion, five+ years later

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Default Fusion, five+ years later

Hard to believe over five years ago I was overjoyed beyond compare when Wipeout Fusion was released in the United States. At 12, I proclaimed myself the biggest Wipeout fan in the state, having played Wipeout 64 and Wipeout 3 with great enjoyment over the years. Even though I wasn't that great at it...^_^'

I didn't have the internet when the PS2 launched, so I would feverishly look through newsstands reading everything I could on every game. Especially when I saw my first preview of Wipeout Fusion in a December 2000 issue of a magazine whose name has been lost in time. I read that article over and over, so many times, since no one else even bothered to post a single screenshot in the day. The enthusiasm was sidetracked upon the release of Gran Turismo 3, but eventually, Wipeout Fusion would work my way back into my subconsiousness.

At the time I thought it was awesome. Now, I look back, and the overwhelming thoughts of many members are "this is the worst game in the series." So I play it again from time to time, a badly damaged disk (product of my poor maintenance of game disks back then) and then it all comes to me why.

The biggest flaw was the handling, it's the most widely accepted reason why this was a bad game. The previews all talked about a revamped handling mechanic that was supposed to be more accessible to new gamers. In 2000-2001, no one knew exactly what this would be. But what it ended up being was a joke. The floaty feeling, the sensation of flying at certain times, and most importantly - the sensation of speed were all crippled. Lightweight ships like FEISAR and Piranha handled like slot cars, and Heavyweights like Auricom turned like barges. (Speaking of Auricom, don't even get me started on how much of a piece of **** their craft looked like.)

Sure, you could make the speedometer say 4000+ kph, but it only really felt like 200. When I play the other installments, especially Wipeout XL at higher speed classes - the sensation of speed just jumps out at me. I feel like I'm going faster than then 470 kph the Qirex can achieve with a turbo at Phantom class.

But this re-tooling ended up almost killing the series. At least Zone mode feels great with the downforcey handling. But that's Zone mode. In a Single Race, you really question sometimes whether or not you're playing a Wipeout game at all. Pitching down and up means nothing since the "Fusion" of the craft to the track makes it irrelevant. No more turbo-speed flying, no more taking sharp curves by merely pitching the craft down and turning.

And then you could go on. And on. The weapon list almost doubled, and brought back super weapons per team like in Wipeout 64. Only they were mostly crap and didn't fit the team philosophy most of the time. (Except for EG-R's Power Snare, which is still the bee's knees.) So were some of the standard weapons - the mines were all messed up, the proton cannon was weak, and the gravity bomb was an uninspired attempt to bring back XL's thunder bomb. I'm sure there are others.

The ship upgrading system was kind of a bandwagoning idea - Gran Turismo became a worldwide phenomenon because of the customisation of real cars. But it shouldn't happen in Wipeout, because the two series are completely different. And I won't even discuss the performance imbalance it causes. Sure I'm rather young to be considered an 11th year veteran of the series, but it's true - I'd gotten so used to Vector, Venom, Rapier, Phantom - then this? On the sheer basis of tradition it's a shame.

Then there was the teams. Good Technology should NEVER have convinced Fusion Team to replace AG Systems, who in the last installment perhaps vaulted to #1 most popular team simply because of "Let's Be Friends," to be replaced by a team named after themselves. It was self-serving, low, and oh yeah, that was the worst ship in Wipeout Fusion. Qirex was gone too, but Tigron had it's own special charm, which may be what allowed it to stay for another installment. EG-R and Xios were great, even if the team concepts seemed a little boring, they were great ships to pilot, and it's great to see that EG-X will carry on their spirit in Wipeout Pulse and HD. As for "Of Over" Racing Developments...meh.

But Fusion wasn't a total failure. The consistent gold standard of Wipeout games is the music, and it's no different here. I was sold on this the first time I heard the instrumental for "Sick" by Utah Saints, or the exclusive remix of "Papua New Guinea" by FSOL. Fusion gave us the Zone mode, which opened the door for more mind-blowing feats - Oggob's Zone 151 is an example.

Even if terrain sections and various track layouts didn't sell, the venues themselves were really cool, and the loops, spirals and gravity flip sections were a welcome addition (blah blah not in tradtion with the series, I know.) And it brought back the individual pilots, missing since Wipeout 1, and I always feel that they could return in a future installment, I sure hope they will. Because it does feel nice to know there's a person in the cockpit, am I right?

In the end, many of the things Fusion Team wanted to do seemed like really great ideas in development. But now they're deemed "mistakes" simply because they were poorly executed. Odds are, given another chance to re-make this game via time travel, they could have made the handling floaty, while still being more accessible to newcomers. They could have made new weapons, but made sure they were sensible. But we must accept that a lot of us have either sold Fusion, never bought it, or currently watch it collect dust, and move forward.

And this has been your daily two cents. Too bad you can't buy a stick of gum with it.
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 26th August 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5

My first post... Hi guys.

I just got Fusion this past week and I've own every other game besides this one (64 withstanding).

At first I thought it was 'weak sauce' but it has grown on me. A special place in my heart. I'm glad they did the things they did. The experimentation with this one. While I don't like customizing my craft, pilots, off road portions of tracks, and having so many racers at once (there are too many cluster F--k moments with having that many racers. I've lost too many races because of all the chaos), and all the CRAZY glitches, something about this game is still fun.

I guess the same fun genes run in every Wipeout game. I'm really glad I picked it up for $5 complete. The soundtrack is my second favorite to Pure (Pure is the only game with songs that aren't straight track rips that go beyond the length of a race). The weapons, though crazy as hell and numerous, are still darn cool (LOVE grenades) and the one-on-one challenges are pretty neat.

I haven't unlocked Zone mode yet but I will soon. Overall I would have to say that this game was a necessary turning point in the series. If it weren't for all of the risk taking we wouldn't have gotten Pure.

Five+ years for you... and 5+ days for me.

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

By far the best weapons in Fusion;

- Feisar - super missiles
    - Piranha - penetrator
    - Van Uber - seismic wave
    - EG.R - power swarm

needless to say.................. bring these weapons back!

Quote Originally Posted by FurryKing View Post
    My first post... Hi guys.

I just got Fusion this past week and I've own every other game besides this one (64 withstanding).

At first I thought it was 'weak sauce' but it has grown on me. A special place in my heart. I'm glad they did the things they did. The experimentation with this one. While I don't like customizing my craft, pilots, off road portions of tracks, and having so many racers at once (there are too many cluster F--k moments with having that many racers. I've lost too many races because of all the chaos), and all the CRAZY glitches, something about this game is still fun.

I guess the same fun genes run in every Wipeout game. I'm really glad I picked it up for $5 complete. The soundtrack is my second favorite to Pure (Pure is the only game with songs that aren't straight track rips that go beyond the length of a race). The weapons, though crazy as hell and numerous, are still darn cool (LOVE grenades) and the one-on-one challenges are pretty neat.

I haven't unlocked Zone mode yet but I will soon. Overall I would have to say that this game was a necessary turning point in the series. If it weren't for all of the risk taking we wouldn't have gotten Pure.

Five+ years for you... and 5+ days for me.
    Personally I like the Off Road sections, they open up a whole new world of tactics for me. Plus it feels great watching the Quake Disruptor roll through the open section.
    The Grenades are great fun though, if a little buggy on slopes and loops, but that can be useful sometimes.

My favourite thing about Fusion is that your opponents actually seem to attack each other now, rather than just focussing on you when you pass them.

Quote Originally Posted by swift killer View Post
    By far the best weapons in Fusion;

- Feisar - super missiles
    - Piranha - penetrator
    - Van Uber - seismic wave
    - EG.R - power swarm

needless to say.................. bring these weapons back!
    The Van-Uber Whirling Ball of Death, nobody will play me now because the first time we MP'd I kept shouting "Soniiic BOOM!".

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I liked the element of the game that made weather effect depending on what weapons were used along with the hard base songs and heavy wide tracks and crafts...

This game may not take as much flying skills, or not control as cool, but it does give off a very powerful feeling when you have a large screen and large good sound-system... It just would've been better with a futuristic war game or something... Like with huge iron transformers or something...

PSN ID
    madwiperII

I dont like super missiles, there too boaring lol, seizmic field was amazibng, the way it pulls people close to it, penetrator is ok, but could have done more damage, and for some reason it goes all weird and spinny if you are in the middle of a large jump lol. Power swarm is pure brilliance, the way there is almost no escaping it!, But another special i also liked was nitro missile, this was good because it multiplied all damage you get by 10!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Power Swarm was an awful weapon. The Seismic Field could rip the arse off a ship but you had to aim it yourself with the possibility of it missing, much like the Plasma Bolt (not pulse ray Alterego ) A weapon of such ridiculous power like the Power Swarm should not be so easy to use theres a 99& chance it will hit the ship you lock onto with maximum impact, a guaranteed death sentence and not just for Van Uber.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ O'Connell View Post
    The consistent gold standard of Wipeout games is the music, and it's no different here. I was sold on this the first time I heard the instrumental for "Sick" by Utah Saints, or the exclusive remix of "Papua New Guinea" by FSOL. Fusion gave us the Zone mode, which opened the door for more mind-blowing feats - Oggob's Zone 151 is an example.
    I would say the music has gotten worse since Wipeout 3. Wipeout Fusion had a few memorable tracks, but for me nothing will beat the soundtrack to Wipeout 2097 or Wipeout 3.

I would personally say that the soundtrack to Pure is... forgettable.

Timezone
    GMT + 9
    PSN ID
    HISHO-JP-

Default A "lost" title in Japan

Do not forget us.

We are still waiting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    IwannaTinkle

I can't believe you guys didn't get it still... Does it say something about a future release in that page?

Fusion had its great moment. Open areas were cool. Sound was awesome.

But the main prob apart from handling is that strangely it was too smooth. It felt more like a graphic demo, and coz it ran at 60fps it often looked very bland, certainly inside cubiss float. Also some awful areas of simply falling through scenery ruined the feeling.

However some superb circuits, vohl square, cubiss, alca, mandrashee, florion. Loved them all.

Vohl Square 2 was one of my favourites, however I hated that last section of track, more often than not it sent me flying out of the level rather than being a simple jump down to the finishing straight.
    It was a nice view if I turned around though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Vohl Square 2 was ace!
    I liked the shortcut a lot - so many speed pads The jump bug was a bit annoying though; normally I don't brake before a jump.

If I remember correclty the reverse track was used for Pure. Shame, because it never beat the original forward track.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    VagabondArts

Vohl Square, Florion Heights, and Mandrashee are still awesome to TT on to this day.
    (for me anyway) I think the diversity in the tracks is really well done.

That being said, losing the designers republic and replacing them with the other guys was the second biggest problem with this game after the handling change.

Still, I love it and enjoy it for what it is.
    The weakest wipeout game is still fun to play and miles ahead of every other futuristic racer thats tried to take wipeout's crown.

XtremeG, I'm looking at you.

Timezone
    GMT -5

It's still a decent game that I play to this day...was my very first PS2 game back in '02, actually. I never cared much for Zone though...probably because I suck at it. LOL

Florion Height 3 is my favorite...I love flying off the ramp at the end!

Katmoda 12 was...interesting, to say the least. Although I found a couple of the gravity pads somewhat annoying...

As far as music goes, IMO, Wip3out > Fusion! It had a couple of decent tracks, but 3's just feel more sublime and classic...

But yea, certain features and things aside, Fusion wasn't that bad in my book...
    Last edited by Albino Ace; 14th March 2008 at 11:49 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 2

Fusion was great, until i found wipeoutzone and read all the critique on fusion.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Okay, I spent a few hours playing Fusion again (bought a used copy for just $4 and Kinetica for only $5 the other day, great score RJ!).

The track designs are some of the best I've seen in the series. It's enhanced by the diversity of the environments - the snowy mountains of Cubiss Float, the smog-filled urban corridors of Vohl Square, and the lush, dark jungles of Alca Vexus. The free-form sections...they don't really affect performance as much as Quantum Redshift, and are pretty pointless - yet again, an example of fun things to try in the next-gen debut that failed.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

i have to say that fusion had it's great moments, as time trial all day on vohl square (amazing track) and the final jump in the third section of florion height,.
    music was also cool..