Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

PSN ID
    ummagumma88 /feel free to add me

rollcage -the only good opponent for wipeout- was also made by psygnosys! i would like to see a third game from that series, maybe on psp..
    but also one of the worst game ever, "attack of the saucerman", is by psygnosys.. Just good that it was "hidden in the closet"..

Let's stay on topic, please; this thread is for questions about Psygnosis history as an organisation, not about the games they've made, nor as a discussion thread for those games. If you wish to discuss Rollcage, please find or start a thread for it in the ''Offtopic'' section of the forums.

PSN ID

psygnosys-as-a-company- has it's story, and its story is made of game and releases: rollcage is one of them..
    anyway, how many of the original psygnosys developers are still in SL?
    Could be interesting to know if it would be possible to see sequels to historic series, but maybe all depends now on sony's market strategies..

The history of Psygnosis is made of the people and when they did what they did, and what changes occurred to the organisation. Discussion of the merits of games and wishlists for what new game releases you would like to see belongs elsewhere.

Some of the members of the development teams are still there. Most are not.

Production of sequels to old Psygnosis series is a decision of Sony's SCEE administrative body and is not in the hands of the studios.

PSN ID

ok, just sorry if I'd been arrogant..
    Last edited by blixabargeld; 21st April 2008 at 07:59 PM.

PSN ID
    humangoogle -OFW-

hmm... sony says that psygnosis is actually SL here:
    http://www.development.scee.net/profile_liverpool.html
    frow what I'm interpreting, it appears to be outdated and refuses to mention the existence of wipeout 3 and SE for some reason (http://www.development.scee.net/soft...liverpool.html), not very good for an official site

It is a bit odd that they would refuse to acknowledge that Psygnosis was not just one studio, but a larger organisation. Refusal [if that's what it is] to mention the games done by the Leeds studio is interesting matter for speculation if one is so inclined. Why ignore a studio that was clearly part of Psygnosis, especially when SCEE marketed those games and still uses intellectual property from them? Wait a bit.. Hm... or maybe Leeds was nOt part of Psyggy when Psyggy was independent of Sony. Ah, well, I really don't care; it's just my detective instincts kicking in.

PSN ID

studio leeds is the team that made fusion?

Studio Leeds had already ceased to exist when Fusion was made, and the Psygnosis name had likewise ceased to be used by Sony.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Studio Leeds were responsible for Wipeout 3 and Wipeout 3SE, which turned out to be their final project. Fusion was the first game in the series done by Studio Liverpool once all had been acquired by Sony.

... aww bugger, too quick Lance

PSN ID

all right, everything clear now..
    thanks, guys

Default Psygnosis

I've read this thread and I thought I'd chip in... :O)

OK, if memory serves (and apologies if my brain is stewed!);

Wipeout 64 was coded up by Andrew (Andy) Yelland in house based on the existing codebase. He has since moved on and done many things, including help create MUSIC 2000 with me some years back. He was in the U.S. for a while but is back in the U.K. as far as I'm aware... still weaving his crazy coding magic!

Psygnosis is pronouced SIG-NO-SYS, also lovingly called Psyggie or Pigs Noses. ;OP

The company Psygnosis Limited is still running as far as I'm aware - you could check on http://www.companieshouse.org.uk/WebCHeck/fastrack/ and I'm fairly sure that most people who work at SCEE Wavetree still work for Psygnosis Ltd. and have a Psygnosis pension (as I do - even thought I left ages ago - these things follow you for life!).

I often wonder what happened to the OWL logo that used to be at the top of the building? Rumour is that it's still in the building in, stored in the rafters.

Psygnosis started in the docks in Liverpool, and got it's really big break when Sony invested HEAVILY in them... that's when I joined full time, but before that I'd done a few years as a freelance musician, from the time when there were about 12 employees.

There is SO much that could be said about those days between '89 and '94... maybe I'll write a book one day (but I'd have to go into hiding for fear of any fatwa!)

Hehehehe. ;OP

C.S.

I would love to see that book!

Thanks for the info, Tim.

Damn, access to companieshouse is closed, I got there too late. Have to wait till Monday. ThAt'll teach me to not fall asleep in the afternoon.

If Psyggie still exists in some form, I wonder what they do. Or if they're just a name that Sony owns but chooses not to use for branding. ?

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    Haywire_Guy

Greatest apologies if the question is mundane or unnecessary, but i wish to ask: How did you come up with owl as the company logo?
    Last edited by Haywire_Guy; 9th September 2009 at 11:10 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

I am also sorry about the thread revival, but yesterday I jumped in some Original wipEout and on the load screen, Namco was there. Is this the same Namco (Bandai)? Just curious and thanks.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yeah, they're there because of the famous neGcon controller compatibility with WipeOut.

PSN ID
    Whizzer-The-Hawk

Default Rollcage

I used to love this game years ago. Due to the fact that everything was destructable and you could go up walls and technically no total your car...thingy...Rollcage.

Did you have a question about Psygnosis?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    BulletWraith

Quote Originally Posted by abukii View Post
    I am also sorry about the thread revival, but yesterday I jumped in some Original wipEout and on the load screen, Namco was there. Is this the same Namco (Bandai)? Just curious and thanks.
    thats right Abukii, the same Namco but different
    Bandi bought Namco in 2005(still feels like yesterday)

-zershen

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    abukii

Thank you. It does make sense that they'd have their name on the menu because of the NeGcon.