Thread: The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I remember reading Midway on the start-up screen. Or was that just the publisher?

It was supposedly them that did the port, IIRC.
    Unfortunately, I've also seen a claim that Psygnosis definitely did it themselves, which is why I ain't vouchin' fer nuthin' about it.

Maybe it was just that they were being quiet about it because Nintendo didn't want anyone to know yet.

Well I had no contact ever with any of the Wipeout teams and was in for something totally unrelated and I brought it up after getting to have a go on the 2097 arcade game they had sitting out in a corridor at the time. The impression I got was that WO64 was made on the premises but, like I say, I could get very little out of anyone.

That was exactly around the time that one of the main guys was leaving (was it Hethrington or something? I'm terrible with names) and there was an air of paranoia and rumour among the people I spoke to, unsure of just what was going on in general. I can't imagine WO64 was directly related to any of that but it's one of the reasons people were sketchy about everything at the time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

The German wiki entry on WipEout mentions Studio Liverpool as developer of WO64 and Midway who owns the publishing rights for USA and Europe (it's Konami in Japan I think).

IGN wrote this "some" years ago: Midway Snatches Wipeout 64 Still: As it stands it was Psygnosis who developed it. On another German game site (planet-nintendo.de) I read that it wasn't a mere port, but a completely new game.

Hardly completely new, but there would have had to be a big rewrite of the program code.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Is SL still based in the old Wavertree Technology Park, or wherever they were back in 1995 when the first WO was released?

Fairfield (between San Francisco and Sacramento), California, USA
    Timezone
    GMT -8

Psygnosis is pronounced "sig-no-sis" ...Correct? I just thought maybe some people might call it

"si-g-no-sis"
    ^^(i=eye)
    Last edited by KevInCal; 22nd September 2007 at 08:26 AM.

Nick Burcombe, co-creator of the original Wipeout, has used the nickname 'psyggy' for it, so I'm thinking that sig no sis is the way it was done, even though the proper way would probably be sy no sis.

Fairfield (between San Francisco and Sacramento), California, USA
    Timezone
    GMT -8

mhmm... Interesting indeed.