Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

Default The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

We're often asked questions about the Psygnosis game development and publishing company, the original publisher of Wipeout, and what happened to it. This thread is here for you to ask those questions and have them answered.

There used to be a good history of Psygnosis online; if it's still there, I'll post a link to it in this post when I find it.

In the meantime, here is a link to a list of all Psygnosis' games:
    http://www.psygnosis.org/games/

And of course this is the homepage of that site:
    http://www.psygnosis.org/

I can tell you this from my remembrance of the old history site: Sony bought a large but still incomplete portion of the outstanding stock in Psygnosis in 1993, before WipEout ever appeared. In 1998, Sony acquired the rest of the stock so that they owned Psygnosis completely. All rights owned by Psygnosis were then owned by Sony.

Here's a link to another history from one person's point of view:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/danmcphar...s-history.html

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

could just wikipedia it

One could, but when I see such things as this in the Wiki article: ''The company worked closely with Sony, producing many of its games on their console, the PlayStation..'', one has to wonder about the quality of the article. About two years before the Playstation was available for purchase, Sony owned controlling interest in Psygnosis. Psygnosis didn't ''work closely'' with Sony, they were part of the Sony empire and did Sony's bidding. In a sense, they already wEre Sony, and Sony bought them precisely to ensure that there would be good games for the launch of the console.

The wiki is pretty decent overall, but as you'd expect, the material seems to have all been drawn from more original and more deeply informed sources which I already read before I even saw the wiki. I'd rather see material closer to the original than what I see in wikis, though wikis are often a valuable resource and I love 'em and use 'em a lot. I like multiple sources, not just a summation found in one spot. The sites I linked to contain material written by people who worked for Psygnosis. I'd like to find more of those. At their best wikis are a good starting point and a place to find links to more detail.

[For those of you who are new here, we are lucky enough to have the guys who created Wipeout [and developed the first two versions] as members of the WipeoutZone, so we've gotten the story of the game's beginnings as directly as you can get it.]

So, given that Sony had a controlling interest, just what is the history of WO64? I was in Psygnosis just after its release (well before W3O) and nobody seemed to want to talk about WO64, like it was some dirty secret.

I saw a mention once that it was not Psyggy that did the port, but another company. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that info.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I remember reading Midway on the start-up screen. Or was that just the publisher?

It was supposedly them that did the port, IIRC.
    Unfortunately, I've also seen a claim that Psygnosis definitely did it themselves, which is why I ain't vouchin' fer nuthin' about it.

Maybe it was just that they were being quiet about it because Nintendo didn't want anyone to know yet.

Well I had no contact ever with any of the Wipeout teams and was in for something totally unrelated and I brought it up after getting to have a go on the 2097 arcade game they had sitting out in a corridor at the time. The impression I got was that WO64 was made on the premises but, like I say, I could get very little out of anyone.

That was exactly around the time that one of the main guys was leaving (was it Hethrington or something? I'm terrible with names) and there was an air of paranoia and rumour among the people I spoke to, unsure of just what was going on in general. I can't imagine WO64 was directly related to any of that but it's one of the reasons people were sketchy about everything at the time.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

The German wiki entry on WipEout mentions Studio Liverpool as developer of WO64 and Midway who owns the publishing rights for USA and Europe (it's Konami in Japan I think).

IGN wrote this "some" years ago: Midway Snatches Wipeout 64 Still: As it stands it was Psygnosis who developed it. On another German game site (planet-nintendo.de) I read that it wasn't a mere port, but a completely new game.

Hardly completely new, but there would have had to be a big rewrite of the program code.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Is SL still based in the old Wavertree Technology Park, or wherever they were back in 1995 when the first WO was released?

Fairfield (between San Francisco and Sacramento), California, USA
    Timezone
    GMT -8

Psygnosis is pronounced "sig-no-sis" ...Correct? I just thought maybe some people might call it

"si-g-no-sis"
    ^^(i=eye)
    Last edited by KevInCal; 22nd September 2007 at 08:26 AM.

Nick Burcombe, co-creator of the original Wipeout, has used the nickname 'psyggy' for it, so I'm thinking that sig no sis is the way it was done, even though the proper way would probably be sy no sis.

Fairfield (between San Francisco and Sacramento), California, USA
    Timezone
    GMT -8

mhmm... Interesting indeed.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    taqili

Colony Wars was fantastic.

Timezone
    GMT -6

I believe that Rollcage 2 was also published in the by Midway... at least in the US.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Correct. I have the RCII CD right next to me and Midway is on the label.

Interesting story the one of Psygnosis.
    SL brought back WipEout with PurE after Psygnosis was terminated, I'm just hoping they bring back RC as well. How awesome would that be with W'O" HD's game engine!?
    That's probably too much to ask if it's a small studio though.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

SL is Psygnosis I believe it wasn't 'terminated' as such.

Psygnosis basically ceased to exist when Sony acquired the last of its stock in 1998. Psygnosis was an organisation of administrative personnel who controlled more than one studio; once Sony owned them entirely and made all the decisions, Sony was the organisation. No more Psyggy. Studio Liverpool was one of the studios Psygnosis controlled, it was not Psygnosis itself.

Anyway, that's the way I parse the logic.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Darkdrium777

Yeah that's the way I'm thinking too. Obviously a bit of Psygnosis is still alive in Liverpool, or we wouldn't be talking about WipEout here. But the name Psygnosis does not exist anymore.