Thread: The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The History of Psygnosis - Questions asked and answered.

We're often asked questions about the Psygnosis game development and publishing company, the original publisher of Wipeout, and what happened to it. This thread is here for you to ask those questions and have them answered.

There used to be a good history of Psygnosis online; if it's still there, I'll post a link to it in this post when I find it.

In the meantime, here is a link to a list of all Psygnosis' games:
    http://www.psygnosis.org/games/

And of course this is the homepage of that site:
    http://www.psygnosis.org/

I can tell you this from my remembrance of the old history site: Sony bought a large but still incomplete portion of the outstanding stock in Psygnosis in 1993, before WipEout ever appeared. In 1998, Sony acquired the rest of the stock so that they owned Psygnosis completely. All rights owned by Psygnosis were then owned by Sony.

Here's a link to another history from one person's point of view:
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/danmcphar...s-history.html

PSN ID
    NFNiTM

could just wikipedia it

One could, but when I see such things as this in the Wiki article: ''The company worked closely with Sony, producing many of its games on their console, the PlayStation..'', one has to wonder about the quality of the article. About two years before the Playstation was available for purchase, Sony owned controlling interest in Psygnosis. Psygnosis didn't ''work closely'' with Sony, they were part of the Sony empire and did Sony's bidding. In a sense, they already wEre Sony, and Sony bought them precisely to ensure that there would be good games for the launch of the console.

The wiki is pretty decent overall, but as you'd expect, the material seems to have all been drawn from more original and more deeply informed sources which I already read before I even saw the wiki. I'd rather see material closer to the original than what I see in wikis, though wikis are often a valuable resource and I love 'em and use 'em a lot. I like multiple sources, not just a summation found in one spot. The sites I linked to contain material written by people who worked for Psygnosis. I'd like to find more of those. At their best wikis are a good starting point and a place to find links to more detail.

[For those of you who are new here, we are lucky enough to have the guys who created Wipeout [and developed the first two versions] as members of the WipeoutZone, so we've gotten the story of the game's beginnings as directly as you can get it.]

So, given that Sony had a controlling interest, just what is the history of WO64? I was in Psygnosis just after its release (well before W3O) and nobody seemed to want to talk about WO64, like it was some dirty secret.

I saw a mention once that it was not Psyggy that did the port, but another company. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that info.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I remember reading Midway on the start-up screen. Or was that just the publisher?