Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exostra Run - Advanced Tips Needed

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Default Exostra Run - Advanced Tips Needed

I need some strategy advice for Exostra Run (Phantom), particularly from you sub-19 second folks.

I suppose the main part of the track I'd like to get a technical feel from everyone is the first downhill right-hander. Do you carry inertia from a boost across the start/finish line and barrell roll down the hill, or do you use the boost pads instead? My own strategy has me barrell rolling down the hill and again inside the tunnel.

How about the final right hander that leads to the straightaway? Do you boost after hitting the speed pad?

Right now I'm at 18.93. Wouldn't mind some help closing the gap to Arnaud's top time.

Thanks,

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 24th July 2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Corrected personal time. Can't forget the extra second.

PSN ID
    alteregorr

Hi Flash, hi All.

I'm not so fast, but this is my line for the best lap:

After a void turn i reserve a turbo boost.
    fire it after the last BP of the turn and before the start, but not so close to fly on the downhill (i prefer catch the double bp after the start)
    the line if you pass on the double bp and the third bp are better for a first BR in the start of the tunnel.
    If i make a br I do not pass over the bp in the tunnel and on the left bend pass over the bp and after it use the turbo.
    pass over the bp before the second tunnel and on the double bp in the tunnel from this point it's only a question of bp and line in the last chicane.
    usually i pass over the right bp after the chicane in TT, but in SR i prefer pass over the left one.
    Last bp on the right bend and straight to the arrive.
    that's all for me....

Read You Soon
    CdRom

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Hah, I have been playing Exostra Run a bit lately as well.

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see what folks have to say

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Hi Flashback Jack,

I try and see what I can do by giving some tips on this floathy track. The reason why I say floathy is because you have to try to keep as low as possible. Use pitch down a lot!!! With the boost from the previous lap to BR down the hill, keep low, after the ascension BR again, but pitch down. Triakis has the unfortunate manner to loose speed when it is not perfectly stable on the track. The most speed you can loose after the second BR in the tunnel, keep your line as straight as possible before you get into the left turn. This turn has to be taken very sharp on the inside. The next zig-zag or chicane turn downwards into the second tunnel is the most important place to keep your speed optimal. Try to take this turn down, in as many ways as you can to try and feel this turn, because there is only one way to hang into this turn to keep your speed optimal, I can not describe the exact line, but you will know it by doing it yourself. You will see the Triakis move so smoothly without it coming up or down in this tricky turn. Then of course hit every BP and use the boost after the last BP.

Good luck Flashback Jack to try and close the gap to Arnaud's top time, as long as you'll leave my top time for what it is right now.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Excellent topic. I wish there were strategies discussed for any of pure's tracks.
    I nailed my first sub 19-time a few minutes ago thanks to mad-ice \o/ Just by taking the sweeper on the inside and it wasn't even a PL %)
    Athough it sounds trivial, taking turns as tight as possible is more time saving than getting all your BRs right. I achieved my time with only one BR on the decline, using the BP uphill and the right one in the tunnel, setting me up to take the following sweeper perfectly with the use of only two sideshifts- meeting both BP. Stupid me missed the first of the 3 BPs after the corkscrew bend (don't quite have the feeling for that corner yet, approach it differently every lap) and the one before the finish line which doesn't atter though, just used the Turbo earlier. I don't wanna think about the "ifs" and the resulting time, had I managed to pull of a second BR and met the additional BP *sigh*

What I find extremely hard to do in Pure though is working with your ship's nose. Since the PSP's d-pad doesn't allow directional input, basically you can only pitch your nose when going straight ahead which requires a perfectly balanced Triakis, hard on Exostra Run, at least for me

I'm off to my PSP again

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

New Record: 18.54

I believe this is the new fastest known Phantom time for Exostra. Correct me if I'm wrong. Used the usual equipment -- Triakis in the Phantom class.

Here's the skinny.

Blaze into your record-setting lap with an ultra last second boost past the start/finish line. Hug the right wall as closely as humanly possible (the right side of your craft should nearly be touching the billboards).

Barrel roll into the decline. DO NOT hit the speed pad at the bottom of the hill, as this will launch you too high in the tunnel as to cost you too much time. Barrel roll at the top of the hill. Having avoided the speedpad back at the bottom of the hill, you should have exactly the required height for the barrel roll and no more.

If you can manage to squeeze between the speedpads in the tunnel, by all means do so, but it isn't ultimately necessary. Before plowing into the left hander that follows, quickly set yourself up by briefly maneuvering somewhat to the right side of the tunnel.

Power into the left-hander, barely shaving the apex (wall). Hit the speedpad and IMMEDIATELY fire your boost. Make contact with the speed pad before the chicane. It is imperative that you find the smoothest line through the chicane, but the boost should otherwise make the slowest part of the track even faster than before. You'll find that the momentum from the boost makes for a rather fierce attack on the chicane, so you might have to let off on the throttle, but ONLY FOR A SPLIT SECOND.

From there, make sure you hit every speed pad that follows. Carve a nice round circle around the final hairpin. Sideshift for this, but do not let off the throttle. Coast to the finish line, holding forward on the direction pad for optimal aerodynamics.

Welcome to the world of Matrix-busting laptimes on Exostra Run.

P.S. It took me literally thousands of laps to set my record. I kid you not. I estimate I put in at least 3000 laps, perhaps more. Toward the end there, I was damn near seeing things in code, that's how zoned out I was.

However, I must say I've had a direct taste of the phenomenon that are the dedicated Wipeout players of this board. You folks are superhuman, man. I REALLY had to dig deep for this.

Ghost to be uploaded to Defaulted later.

- F
    Last edited by Flashback Jack; 25th July 2007 at 01:39 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Wow, great results Mike!
    That kind of extreme track experience will do wonders for you in a tournament. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I believe this is the new fastest known Phantom time for Exostra.
    Isn't Madi-ice's record somewhere in the 18"20s?

Took me ~150 laps to get sub 19. I estimate another ~300 to come near 18"50

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Actually yeah. Suppose I should check the "time trial" aspect of the record database here. Radio button was still on Single Race.

Back to the grind then. Heh.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Coast to the finish line, holding forward on the direction pad for optimal aerodynamics.
    Since you use your Turbo between the tunnels, make sure to sideshift (maybe even two can be squeezed in?) after the final BP before the finish line, could shave off another tenth of your time!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Most interesting. Sideshifts increase forward momentum? Well I'll be damned.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

At least mine do ^^
    No, seriously, watch your speedometer as you do the sideshifts. It increases by at least 20kph. That's how heavy ships can gain momentum in long, sweeping corners.
    I guess this is intentional, explaining the "cool down" of about .75 to a full second sideshifts suffer from, as you may have noticed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Down to 18.42 ("perfect" lap), a mere 0.02 seconds up on Arnaud, however I'd love to know where the hell you (Mad-Ice) found the extra 20 milliseconds in your run. Heh.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

perfect line, perfect line, perfect line
    There's even a song in Pure

And perfect use of the nose. Most crucial point, as I understand it, is the corkscrew bend in the tunnel. Lots of ways to take the turn but only a few won't cost you too much speed.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Well, considering only 17 milliseconds separates the three fastest Phantom times, it's safe to say we've all found the optimal line save for an inch or two in the case of myself and Arnaud. Though it's a fast track, it's a tricky one that absolutely must be run with surgical precision if one is to achieve anything lower than 15.60.

So where you at? Last mention you were in the late 18s. Make any progress since?

- F

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Airrider1

Crud, I forget my best time.

My strategy:

I just hit the Boost pads and concentrate on keeping a fast line without fishtailing or too much wobbling and such.

When racing with opponents, I think about the Exostra Run as if I were Kobato Hanato: Heal, heal, heal, heal the heart of your AG racer. Sacrifice every Disruption Bolt, ONLY fire Bombs or Mines if you're, say, 3rd or higher. I feel I use Rockets and Missiles sparingly: while it is true that you'll shove targets out of your way with a shot, with a track this short, space runs out between ships really fast. This means, if you're gonna fire off a Rocket...you'll either miss around a bend or connect at a distance so short that you'll ram your nose up your target's tailpipe. I use Missiles more often: they're long-range, have a homing capability, and you can set up a pass before your hit connects.
    Plasma: probably better absorbed. Quake: fire with extreme prejudice.
    Autopilot? Up to you, but it's a gamble to me.

Only barrel-roll over that hilltop if you've got the shield for it. That's why I absorb so many items and weapons.

I think Time Trial is just all about racing as clean as possible, so I use my Airbrakes sparingly and watch my Shield gauge often.

Finally, I prefer machines with muscle to them, like Auricom or Piranha. I've once used Triakis on the Run with good results.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Jack View Post
    Well, considering only 17 milliseconds separates the three fastest Phantom times..
    you got me for a sec but I guess you ment 100s of a sec!
    and yes that's a pretty tight competition - just the way I like it!!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

New personal best is 18.29. Hit a wall exiting the final bend leading to the finish line.

Only a matter of time.

- F

Timezone
    GMT -5

bleh! alright, enough epeen boasting without me. I'm gonna start practicing for pulse, as well as to get myself back in my old shape for WO.

Congrats Mike, now I'm gonna try and get in shape to give you a proper run for your money next time we meet up

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Congratulate me when I take out the top dog's time, though I must say it's becoming a rather monumental challenge at this point. I've just about milked the Triakis for all it has. If someone manages to set the record lower than what it's at now, I'm confident it won't be beaten for a long, long time to come.

- F