Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Controllers

PSN ID
    HK-50 / XBL: WipeoutJunkie

Default Controllers

Hey guys, ive just started a proper play through of Wipeout 3 for the first time since playing it a little when I was in my early teens and im having a great deal of fun with it but im using one of the Mad Catz wireless controllers and its a bit too small to be as precise as I need it to be on Phantom and it has an occasional problem with the right directional button on the d-pad so I wanna invest in a new controller that has a confortable d-pad and works well with the Wipeout games.

I was gonna get another Sony one but ive been through so many of the things that I thought it may be worth looking into some third party ones. Any controllers out there that the Wipeout community recommends for its PS1 games?

Thanks

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Negcon. Get a Negcon. Oh, and if that doesn't work: You should definitely use a Negcon playing Wipeout on PS1!

Seriously, if you can get one on Ebay, do so. You twist the left against the right part of the controller - which may sound weird, but works just so intuitively and perfectly well for racing games. Most guys here who worked their way up into the top of the record tables are flying on a neggie. By all chance, you'll certainly improve your lap times by a second or two once you got used to it.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Forget about any controller you've ever used before and find yourself a neGcon. You will not look back from there. Unfortunately they can be hard to find, if you get one DON'T misplace it!! Have fun.

PSN ID

Heh seems like thats the way to go then, theres a few on eBay atm that are around £12 buy it now so i'll pick one up. The button design seems a little crazy and the controller itself looks pretty distictive, how long do you think it would take to adjust?

Thanks the for the quick responses!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Renegäde View Post
    Thanks the for the quick responses!
    That's because when it comes to neggies, everyone who owns one is a missionary.

Don't know about the others, but the negcon felt instantly natural to me. You might have to play around with sensitivity a little, but other than that, there shouldn't be much to get accustomed to.

Ben

The neGcon felt right to me in just a few minutes; in a few hours I was beating my hard-worked-on old record times.

And best of all, flying your ship just feels so much more real.

PSN ID

Talking

Well it arrived this morning! Had a couple of hours playtime with it since I got in from work and its a pretty crazy sensation, feels waay ahead of its time. I can just about win on Rapier and the first couple of tracks on Phantom after tampering with the sensivity a little so a bit more time on it as it should all be sweet. Your right though, it does feel alot more natural and gives a better flying sensation. Cant believe ive been missing out on this! The only little problem im having at the mo is when I get hit by a weapon near a corner or brake into a corner too late, I find it alot harder to recover and get my line going again.

Ah well a bit more practice will prolly do alot of good, thanks alot for the recommendation chaps.

Default every silver lining..

you poor sap!! negcon is a mixed blessing, its the best controller in the world for wipeout but its been written off by Sony, you are probably going to be heartbroken when you dont have a neggy for future wipeout games! will there be some kind of support group for pilots who arent able to enjoy the new games cos of this? can we get a patch or some gum to help us cope? can someone wipe my memory so as the negcon ever existed? ignorance would have been bliss! damn you "progress"

PSN ID
    damonhill0

I've just bought one off ebay. 14 quid all in all. Is it okay if use this thread to keep people updated how i'm doing with it?

I should say, i'm fairly poor at Wipeout 3. I can just about win on Venom! If I don't improve you might find me swinging from the ceiling!

PSN ID

Cool nice to see someone in the same boat as me! Let me know how you get on with it. I havent been able to spend much time on mine yet but should be able to get a few hours on it tomorrow.

Its a pretty harsh adjustment after playing Pure for so long though and trying to get to grips with a new controller doesnt make it any easier but as with most things practice makes perfect.

(Heh just noticed we joined in the same month/year)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Since my memory cards (and VCR remote) somehow got lost when I moved I finally dismissed my plan playing FFXII this summer and decided on playing WO3 instead again yesterday. Of course using my beloved neGcon. Seeing that for the last half a year I only used Pure to fulfill my WO needs, you can imagine how I felt picking up my neGcon for WO3 again : Although the PS1 frame rate is something to get used to again (didn't remember the old WOs being that jerky and stuttering ^^), I really like the looks of it with enabled smooth textures.
    Anyway, with my mem cards lost my config is so too obviously and I can't remember my twist settings. I do remember them for 2097 though (30/5), but know for sure I had a different one for WO3, what with there being no Piranha super ship. Default setting (80/6) is definitely unplayable in higher classes Rapier and Phantom and puts too much stress on the controller's mechanics, and my wrists for that matter . Any advice is welcome. For the time being I'll continue playing 50/5, which is comfortable but doesn't feel like the old days

Oh and I constantly find myself double tapping that negcon's shoulder buttons trying to sideshift to correct my line in corners

Timezone
    GMT + 2
    PSN ID
    supersox

I too got Neggie a while ago but I'm still not completely comfortable with it, especially when it comes to vertical movements. But then again I played 8 years with d-pad...

This switching between pure and neggie-w'o"s gives me a headache. Breaking my neggie when attempting barrel rolls with it (Why doesn't it have unlimited 360 degree twist? Barrel rolls would be much easier. ). I'm scared if I twist my PSP half also.

I've never actually used a negcon in all my WO years (and that's a lot of years). Does it use the same steer/airbrake system?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    I've never actually used a negcon in all my WO years (and that's a lot of years). Does it use the same steer/airbrake system?
    Except that fact that twisting both sides against each other replaces the x axis of the left analog stick, yes, it works exactely the same. Altitude control is on the d-pad, which works fine, since your thumb rest on the pad all time and doesn't do steering any more.
    After all those years, I still find it difficult to controll both axes with one stick, so Negcon still is the best choice for me when it comes to racing games.

Ben

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    will there be some kind of support group for pilots who arent able to enjoy the new games cos of this?
    I'm definitely up for that. Negcon Addicts Anonymous.

<wipeout - negcon> is just another futuristic racing game. An extremely fast, stylish, futuristic racing game. Okay, damn good, but it's still not right.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Played it for the first time today. I feel much improved already! The main thing is amount of control you have. You can place the ship exactly where you want to!

I need it for Pulse now!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rageagainstgeorge View Post
    Played it for the first time today. I feel much improved already! The main thing is amount of control you have. You can place the ship exactly where you want to!

I need it for Pulse now!!!!!
    i had to get rid of pulse cos i found it so infuriating without a neggy

Mark Of Insanity is offline Pilot's License Suspended Rapier Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by djb View Post
    i had to get rid of pulse cos i found it so infuriating without a neggy
    Sure you don't mean pure?

I'm thinking of getting a Neggie (in black) to improve my times. A bit confused as to how it can work with Pure/Pulse though.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

It can't.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

PHP Code:
    a Neggie (in black
    In black! The holy grail of WipEout controllers - nothing is so hard to find as a black one. Good luck! (I spent 80 dollars on mine last year)
    Last edited by Medusa; 21st July 2007 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I am mixing up currencies oops!!!