Thread: How will Pulse handle latency?

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Default How will Pulse handle latency?

In online play, Mario Kart DS toned down vehicle interactions and certain weapon functions because of the existence of lag-- it was impossible for software to know where exactly everybody was all of the time.

Consequently, the gameplay of single player mode and local wireless multiplayer was from a mechanical perspective quite distinct from that of the true online play mode.

Just curious-- are y'all expecting something like this for Pulse? Will SL tweak the game mechanics to limit potential gameplay problems with lag?

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Eh! taking certain weapons out of the online mode would be a seriously **** idea, it's not something I even considered them doing and anyway, a PSP is more powerful than a DS soo...

I'd say we'd probably have heard by now if things were going to be stripped down.

Though, having said that, I really didn't notice any problems playing Mario Kart DS online.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

There weren't "problems" associated with Mario Kart DS-- rather, the game mechanic was tweaked to prevent problems. Specifically, Nintendo really toned down the kart collision mechanic. If you play single player or local multiplayer, you'll notice that the big karts REALLY smack around the small karts. But the dynamics of this were determined by actually kart-to-kart interactions, and since in online play it's not possible for the game to know EXACTLY where everybody is, they had to change this aspect of the game. They also made it so that you couldn't tow a banana or a green shell behind your kart during online play for similar reasons-- the game couldn't know exactly where your opponents were at all times, so how could it decide whether you had touched the banana or not?

These issues to my understanding weren't related to hardware limitations but rather catering to the lowest common demoninator for online connection speeds. It's not clear to me that the PSP will be in any better position to deal with these potential problems than the DS.

I actually think Mario Kart DS worked fantastically online, and have no complaints with what they did to the game. My point is, are there aspects of Wipeout that might have to be tweaked to facilitate online play because of problems with latency?
    Last edited by Frances_Penfold; 27th June 2007 at 02:38 PM.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Frances_Penfold View Post
    so how could it decide whether you had touched the banana or not?
    For a moment there, I thought you were going waaaaaaay off topic!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Damn Rob this is exhilarating quote and answer , Stinie & I can't stop laughing at it

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

You know, when I wrote that, I thought... I hope these guys have played Mario Kart before, otherwise this is going to sound something awful

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

shh, that quote might summon Handbanana - one of the weirdest ATHF episodes I have ever seen

Back on topic (rob started it), i noticed some latency 'problems' wilst playing on kai - more so when playing across the pond.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

I would guess that there will be far less APPARENT lag in official online gameplay of Pulse vs. Kai online play of Pure simply because Pulse will be programmed to account for latency.

Pure probably had very little accounting for latency because it was never intended to be played wirelessly except in ad-hoc mode (i.e., in the same room). Part of making Pulse more amenable to online play may mean tweaking the gameplay (collision effects, weapons, etc.) in order to make lag have less of an effect.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

OMG, if there's one more comparison to MarioKart and the banana weapon in these forums I think I may have to put a gag on my mouth before reading! ROFL!!! Latency problems!!!LOL!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Dear Isa, it's always with a large smile expanding on my face that i am reading you

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

There you go again, mind in the gutter - look, if you have too, go into a corner and laugh for 5 mins then come back when you mind is clear of those thoughts! Some people, some people *shakes head*- I have to work with people like you too...god!

we're all adults here...

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Frances_Penfold --ofw--

Hah.

Ok, I apologize for the Mario Kart comparisons-- just a frame of reference for me-- but the issue stands. There's going to be lag in Pulse. It'll be interesting to see what steps SL takes to minimize its effects on gameplay

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

PHP Code:
     I apologize for the Mario Kart comparisons 
    That's okay Frances, you know once upon a time I also referred to the banana peel...MarioKart is sort of the "everyone has played it fun crazy game", and a good reference point I would think.

As for lag I don't think any will care much if the game is as great as we hope...

I have never played MarioKart.

Just the fact. I'm not commenting on it or bananas or gutters. Or anything.