Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulse interviews.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    that sort of cpu assist does not belong in a wipeout game(this was in xl multiplayer one on one and really sucked) Please do not allow the "LEADER WEAPON" to return.
    Agree Al on your 2 points here : i am pretty sure they won't make again that cpu assistance since we didn't seen it after 2097/XL.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

what is this cpu assist I keep hearing about? I have never (to my knowledge) encountered this whilst playing XL - then again I have never played multi on xl either.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

ok Ben, this is uniquely when you are racing 2097/XL with ilink cable and when it's a time trial 1VS1 game , the one who is leading got a speed limited to 360 kph ( 2097 ) and the one behind's got extra speed more than 420/450 : Hopefully SR i-link ( meaning with all the AI ships + your mate ) is working as a Pure bliss

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Okay, then yeah - I can see why Al is so upset (passionate )

Interesting idea to keep the ships close but not practical

Unhappy

I always get worried about that cpu assist #$$#$#. It always seems to work it's way back into good games. hydro thunder, episode one racer. xl, 64. I really don't get it how programmers do that. Don't they realize that when people play their games for hours then days(real fans), they don't freakin want some noob be able to keep up because it wouldn't be fair to allow skill to win.

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    Pulse levels also have less polys than Pure levels
    I know polys aren't everything but should we be preparing ourselves for a bit of a pull-back on graphics in Pulse to give us a more consistant frame rate? The teaser graphics did seem simpler (or more streamlined) than Pure but, if I remember correctly, early WO shots generally have looked a lot more basic than the final product.

Does this mean there's a chance Pulse will run as smooth as Ridge Racers?

No chance of Sony letting you guys run it at 333Hz (or whatever it is) to get beyond-Pure graphics at a good framerate?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It might have less polys, but it looks better than Pure. Part of that is the change in art style, and mostly it's just improvements all round.

Although it looked good at the time, Pure was a launch title on a new platform and things have moved on since then. If you compare the default Pure levels to the download pack levels you can see that the artists were able to get more from their budget later on.

With Pulse, the code base has been optimised, the artists are more familiar with the boundaries they have to work within, and the time constraints haven't been as severe as they were for Pure. So you end up with a better looking game and a more consistent framerate.

That's the theory, anyway - I haven't played it in a little while, so I cant be sure!

Well that all sounds great. I still think Pure is one of the best looking PSP games around but you're spot-on with the leaps in the download packs. If that goes further for Pulse, with a new art style and consistent frame raes, well, we're all in for a bit if a treat I reckon.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    SpaceboyG

Found the article via PSP fanboy.

For the first time in a long time can I say that I am truly looking forward to to a game. After reading the article I just couldn't wait for the game. The Q & A hit all the right notes for me.

Especially Disruption Bolt. It's been a main stay of the franchise, but in Pure it totally pissed me off. Nothing wrong with it at all, I just want to be less frustrated. I'd love to read Foxy's in game spin on leaving it out for the new racing league. Like some sort of competition committee ruling.

Infrastructure! I don't own a game that has it. Hoping that Pulse will be the first. Besides, I bought the PSP on the notion that I can play any one anywhere. Now I'll get my chance, with a Wipeout game! Not sure how you can get a LAN working, I'm as clueless about it as trying to get Pure running via KAI.

Team loyalty! Last time I was playing Pure a few weeks ago I was thinking how I wished the new games in the series would reward you for it. Looks like I was somehwhat on the same wavelength as the developers There are two things most of you veterans know I'm loyal to. FEISAR and Pascale Rouser

One thing I cannot shake off is the Fusion aspects of the game. I guess there were some design points that really stuck. Especially the damage. The more I hear the designers talk, the less worried I get. They all want to make it fit with the Wipeout universe and that is something I respect!

Finally, the ability to take pictures. The board will be jumping with shutterbugs now

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Asayyeah View Post
    when you are racing 2097/XL with ilink cable and when it's a time trial 1VS1 game , the one who is leading got a speed limited to 360 kph ( 2097 ) and the one behind's got extra speed more than 420/450
    I've never played 2097 against another human apart form very very briefly at the convention so I didn't realize such a feature existed till now. I agree with Al as well lets not have any of that.

Imagine playing online and have that happen, how are you supposed to lap new players and kill em in the process? shocking

PSN ID
    xdirex

While I completely agree with you all regardiing cpu assist when it comes to serious competition, sometimes it does have it's uses. Ever played a multiplayer game where you've completely destroyed/lapped/humiliated your less skilled oponent, and then they don't want to play anymore? Which means you no longer have someone to play multiplayer against at all?

Sometimes cpu assist can be nice in that they still have some kind of a chance, plus they'll be nearer to you so you can continue to hammer them with weapons, rather than them being lapped and at the opposite end of the course. As long as it is an OPTION and it's defaulted to off, I don't have a huge problem with it - it just makes it a little more accessible to beginners...

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I remember the first version of Need for Speed Underground gave the option to turn off elastic AI, which I thought was a game design decision to be applauded.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Actually, I remember a few games giving the option to turn "catch up" off back then. Seems like at one point the designers guild as a whole decided against that... ;)

Ben

Catch up between human players in mulitplayer is something I dont think we have ever really considered. I find it odd so many people hope its not in when it wasnt in Pure
    IF (and thats a big if) IF it makes its way in it will be optional and transparent (ie not hidden from the players) - as Rob and others have pointed out it can have its advantages - but currently its not planned and it would never be done to the detriment of the game as a whole.

I liked the disruption bolt, but if I am honest it never developed in practice into what was planned for it in theory, and in the end rather than struggle forward with it we axed it. Its something I think could work, but it needs improving and thinking through more, until then its gone. And yes reverse controls was a fcuk up to include them - personally I like the fun they can bring to multiplayer games, in hindsight - big mistake 99% people dont like them ! Lesson learnt.

Retuning weapons, the cannon replaces the disruption bolt in the sense that there were ten 'pick-ups', we removed one and replaced it
    There are 3 others, currently planned to be elimination only, one is the leach beam (functionality similar to WO3, visually its AWESOME !!) and two new ones that are cool, but secret (cant give everything away yet)

Visually, yes the poly count for the levels is slightly lower BUT hand on heart the game looks absolutely stunning. I will defy anyone to not be blown away by the first level, it is the best looking thing on the PSP (the others are all ace too btw not just the first)

The team loyalty thing is shaping up pretty nice as a reward structure (I know that sounds woolly, its 4.30am) and the progression system is an improvement on the monotony of Pure which we recognised was flawed and so we spent a lot of time considering options (the blame for Pure's repeat ABC style approach lies squarely with me, SCEI and F-zero )

The handling and physics are refined from Pure, the acceleration is universally improved and it feels instantly more fun because of it. All the ships have been tweaked and refined and hopefully there is more of a collective balance and whilst differences exist across ships each ship should now be more of a competitor.
    I've always been more in favour of a balanced field and let the best player win, rather than Ship X is the fastest pick that and you have a much better chance. Its getting there. Balance whilst retaining difference is tricky but viable.

time for bed

Timezone
    GMT + 9

All these new developments sound absolutely amazing. As a big fan of Music Games (That have huge amounts of unlockable / songs,charts, game modes.) I have to admit I was always a bit disappointed in Pure's 'unlock system'. I'm really excited to see Pulse now .

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    Retuning weapons, the cannon replaces the disruption bolt in the sense that there were ten 'pick-ups', we removed one and replaced it
    There are 3 others, currently planned to be elimination only, one is the leach beam (functionality similar to WO3, visually its AWESOME !!) and two new ones that are cool, but secret (cant give everything away yet)

Visually, yes the poly count for the levels is slightly lower BUT hand on heart the game looks absolutely stunning. I will defy anyone to not be blown away by the first level, it is the best looking thing on the PSP (the others are all ace too btw not just the first)
    Cool, proton cannon is back...and energy dra-I mean leach beam

As for low poly counts, minimalist is my middle name (I know, what were my parents thinking)

Timezone
    GMT + 1

It's just all good! Especially the infrastructure mode. Wipers Unite! Thanks for the info and nice avatar BTW!!!

PSN ID
    xdirex

There's a new issue of the online magazine 'GamerZines' that has a feature on Wipeout Pulse. There are some pretty tasty tidbits in there, especially a comment to the effect of "the weight distribution of the ships has also been altered slightly to make some [ships] rear heavy and some nose heavy".

NICE - This is what I like to hear!

They also talk about engine optimisations, new weapons, and mention that there are "some exacting fans out there".

Who, us?

Check it out here: http://www.gamerzines.com/hgzine/

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just wanted to post that. But you were faster.

The article gives a few short, new informations. They even talk about how the environment will change compared to Pure

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    It's just all good! Especially the infrastructure mode. Wipers Unite! Thanks for the info and nice avatar BTW!!!
    you can thank Mr Foxx for my avatar

nothing to do with me, just his twisted mind

(I suspect in some obtuse way, he is taking the piss out of me.. as he does daily )