Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WipEout Fusion - PS3 compatibility

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Default WipEout Fusion - PS3 compatibility

So a friend of mine bought himself a PS3 in march on the European launch (when I sat in the train on the way to Amsterdam on the same day).

One or two weeks later I lend him my copy of Fusion cause he never played the game before and got interested in the WipEout series.
    I've no PS2 here anyway (and no PS3 either) so I don't need the game at the moment.
    He began playing trough the first few leagues and went further in the game. The game had a few graphical glitches and crashed sometimes. Not very often and thanks to the auto-save you didn't lose too much of your progress when it happens. So the game had two squares of three on Sony's official PS3-downward-compatible-website and "Should play on PLAYSTATION®3 with some minor issues" what it actually did. No (big) problems at all.

And then there was this new update for the PS3. And guess what? The game doesn't even start. Nor it's listed on the site anymore. Is this the new way Sony wants to go with their updates?

Even non-homebrew users should keep away from Sony's updates it seems.
    Good job, Sony!

I haven't tried Fusion on my PS3 yet. Well, looks like I might as well not bother.

Fortunately I still have my PS2.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    oggob

WipEout Fusion was one game of a few others that fail to work in the 1.70 update only... Metal Gear Solid 3 you will find is another that won't work in 1.70 also, but fine in 1.60...

Quote Originally Posted by http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc
    * This website is for information purposes only and subject to change. If your game is not listed here, emulation is not yet supported on PLAYSTATION®3. Please check back when future PS3 system software updates are released. We reserve the right to modify the Status of any game or remove it from the list.
    As the disclaimer says, it's possible for the list to change from Update to Update, that's what Emulation can lead to, but you will find that there will always be efforts to restore past games in further updates...

It works fine at 1.6 and they force you to update. swearwords deleted

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Cool

shame that.none of the rachet games work (exept gladiator there is HUGE errors) lukily fighting force 2 [ps1]and bombastic [ps2] work,so i'm happy.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

Looks like the ps3 firmware updates will be comparibly bad to the psp ones, (but at least the psp updates didnt deminish gameplay!) and im guessing like the psp, there is no way to backdate it to an earlier version officially?

I would reccomend to your friend that he preforms no more updates and waits for someone to create a backdate - but it can be risky, so just for liability reasons;

**I DO NOT ENCOURAGE THE ABOVE ACTION**

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

most games don't work because the "emotion chip" that would be in a playstation2 is absent in the playstation3 system. Therefore,less compatibility.this demonstrates why when you want to play a ps2 game, you have to press the PS button.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

[quote=username;63143](but at least the psp updates didnt deminish gameplay!)

Oh no? lol

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3774

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Fusion works again under 1.8

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

because the "emotion chip" that would be in a playstation2 is absent in the playstation3 system
    Which I can totally understand. No more navigation chips for terrorists' cruise missiles!

PSN ID
    mdhay_wz

Question

I think the firmware could be made by a sony hater: Curse you mario,curse you! Got any more cruise missles?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    Fusion works again under 1.8 :)
    And it doesn't work with 1.81. Graphical glitches (random texture rubble) all over the screen. :|

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Sorry for giving such an old thread a bump, but has any of you played a couple of longer sessions (-> important!) of Fusion on PS3 recently? Does it work? After a while I still get graphical glitches, which make the game unplayable and won't go away.

Now, if that was a compatibility issue, I wouldn't worry as much, but since my PS3 Blu-ray drive keeps having problems with reading disks (such as: 1: Shadow of the Colossus will just stop for a few seconds before the game can stream the data needed for the area where I'm going/riding to and then run fine again and 2: PS3 would sometimes tell me there is no disk even though there is) The point being, I wonder if my Fusion problem is actually a disk drive problem. Which would mean I had to call customer support... I'd be most grateful if some of you could help me clear this up.

Thanks,
    Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Graphical glitches and freezing are a part of the experience called backwards compatibility.
    Last edited by Sausehuhn; 11th January 2008 at 02:46 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

They are not, actually. All other games I tried (a lot) run perfectly fine, Fusion however is unplayable. Or is it only because of my disk drive? That's what I need to know.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

A friend of mine had graphical glitches as well. And the freezing. So I guess it's because of the backwards compatibility
    But: aside from the freezing, the graphical glitches weren't that dramatically that you couldn't play the game. It's just annoying when the game freezes during a league and it's only saved when all races are done (thanks Pulse you changed that - PSP froze several times during a tournament. That's odd, of course. But at least you don't have to do it all again after the restart of the PSP).

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl View Post
    Fusion however is unplayable. Or is it only because of my disk drive? That's what I need to know.
    Well, some people would say that Fusion was unplayable even on the console it was made for! 8 D
    Seriously though, I've had a lot of luck dealing with "my disc won't read". There was a laser height adjustment you could make in your PS2 and there was a guide for doing it and adjusting it to the point where it could read all sorts of disks. That didn't fix my problem.
    The issue I was having way back when was that all the _blue_ discs wouldn't read at all. So all the games I really wanted to play, really. The solution I found was bat-crazy and actually worked: I applied some tape to disc on the inside next to the hole.
    So you're talking PS3, which is a totally different machine, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same kinds of solutions might still apply. If you ever get that "can't read the disc" error, and the disc is clean, then you know it's a hardware problem. Look for a hardware solution.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Since I'm not much of a hardware fiddler, I'd rather have Sony's supposedly great customer support to do that for me. But thanks for the insight, Task! And you as well, Max. Even though I don't get freezes - instead, the glitches are so severe I can't see anything as soon as they appear. Strange effect really, as if all the polygons are suddenly pieces of a puzzle that are getting shuffled over my TV.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

(The thought of having to do a puzzle at 1500km/h frightens me.)

Timezone
    GMT -5

Hi guys,
    i just did an update to 2.10.
    I bought Fusion off ebay and was keen to get cracking with it since i had never played it.
    There are still issues with it.
    I get the random polygons all over the place and the lock ups. It definitely renders the game unplayable.
    Compared to the previous WO games i would have to say they went off at a bit of a tangent but it seems ok the little bit i have played. Hopefully Sony will get their act together and sort the problem out. Is there anyone we can email and complain. If we did it en masse we might get some action.
    Next on the list is WO3 SE, looking forward to that. Fortunately I was lucky enough to find a chipped PSX on ebay too, just waiting for the game to arrive from the UK.