Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ship physics for Pulse - Analysing the past

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated View Post
    I have to agree about the Barrel Rolls - they're **** and I wish they'd never ended up in the game. I've intended to compete in virtually all of Arnaud's challenges, but opted out of those that require stupid amounts of barrel rolls per lap... end result is that I've hardly taken part in any of the challenges due to them.
    This is exactly the same for my mate Anthony , he can't stand barrel rolls, moreover he adds that without them, he could be really better in term of highscores.
    You know my point on them : i like that technique that adds a new dimension to the game on the jumps, especially when you do that with internal view.

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    The barrel roll has stupid implementation. Gee lets destroy the analog stick or dpad.
    agree with nub but not with Dpad since i adopt a new way of doing the BR, sorry i don't have the words to describe that and i let Stin explaining it ( if he reminds that ! )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Just a simple question:
    Is there a difference in playability between the original black and then the colored versions of the PSP? Cause the black PSP's buttons are deeper and do not stick out that much compared to the other models.
    I have that feeling that your fingers glide away easier with the black PSP, therefore you don't have that much grip on the buttons which makes the game a bit more complicated (especially on barrel rolling).

That's just a thought that went trough my mind.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Just a thought... what about a boost whenever you get a perfect landing, i.e. no hard bumps or flying so long it costs you a lot of speed? I'm not sure this is a sound idea, but it would take the annyoing left-right-left thing away.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by JABBERJAW View Post
    How fast you go shouldn't be decided by if you are good at street fighter.

Do you mean in terms of how fast you are with smashing buttons?!

Isn't that what Wipeout is all about: being fast in smashing buttons at the right time. Not thinking about NeGcon here!!!

I personally really like the idea of barrel rolling. I think it is a skill too that certainly is futuristic! You really have to study the tracks so good in understanding where you can BR and with what kind of speed.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

you can actually br anywhere. I have tried some unlikely places to attempt it and if you are good enough you can pull it off - namely arnaud ....most of the time. (lately he has been slacking off )

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Héhé Ben you right, multi BRs everywhere have its own risk: but if there isn't any difficulties , where's the pleasure?

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    Just a simple question:
    Is there a difference in playability between the original black and then the colored versions of the PSP? Cause the black PSP's buttons are deeper and do not stick out that much compared to the other models.
    between my pink & black , i got no differences at all , the buttons looks the same in term of size and 'touch feeling' , same with the DPads. Possibly other models are differents but not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Do you mean in terms of how fast you are with smashing buttons?!

Isn't that what Wipeout is all about: being fast in smashing buttons at the right time. Not thinking about NeGcon here!!!

I personally really like the idea of barrel rolling. I think it is a skill too that certainly is futuristic! You really have to study the tracks so good in understanding where you can BR and with what kind of speed.
    we don't smashed buttons actually Al, just put your big thumb on the dpad and do like you could do if you wanted to clean quickly dapd with your thumb, this is not smashing cause your thumb is still ON the dpad.
    This is nearly the same i am using my thumb on the Neggie with nose up & nose down.
    I also agree with your last part Matthijs, 20 months i got that game, and i still can find new location to get turbos or BR , this game is CRAZY but i LIKE it

I didn't say anything about smashing buttons. I just don't like the street fighter move that's required for the barrel roll. I know how to do them, just don't like the manuouever.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

yeah the barrel roll is not my favorite of all turbo methods, I prefer hyperthrust - you have to pay with energy that cant be replaced until the pit lane, and has a cool white effect on the thrust exhaust!

BR was unrealistic, and not wipeout imo

I second username. Also, I saw wipeout as quite a serious game and when you see stuff spinning, it doesn't quite look possible.

Mark Of Insanity is offline Pilot's License Suspended Rapier Pilot

I think that barrel rolls make no sense physically. Why would a barrel roll give thrust, at least without a complex system that could easily be replaced with a simple, non-rolling system from previous games.

I would like to see perhaps mild acrobatics but with some more realistic purpose, such as making it through a complex turn.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Do what you want with barrel rolls, but please leave the side-shift feature in. Pure had many, many S-curve complexes and that feature was usually the difference between a PL or three bounces off the wall.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

i.e. Karbonis, Citta, Manor Top...

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

^ Don't forget Chenghou Project, Blue Ridge, Sinucit...

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Chenghou is one of my favorites, the hairpin is well placed - Blue Ridge and sinucit? Oops, forgot those.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Where abouts on Sinucit is it necessary to use side shift?

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

On the split loop:

Code:
      /¯¯¯¯\
     |      \
    O >----  >--------
     |      /
      \____/

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh, its not really you know

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

I personally think you'd need it in the last section before the jump/finish line. There's a long left hairpin, then a right, and then a really quick left-right before you hit the jump.

PSN ID
    narren

I had no idea that the barrel roll was so unpopular (judging from this thread anyways).

I personally love being able to link a couple of turbos together cleanly and quickly through a tight circuit.

One thing I would change is that the boost starts are really easy in pure, I would probably want something along the lines of the PSone versions starting boost.

so would I but the psp hasnt got a rumble to tell you when you're at boost start revs.