Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ship physics for Pulse - Analysing the past

Mark Of Insanity is offline Pilot's License Suspended Rapier Pilot

If you have a thruster on each side of a racecraft, that would give it the ability to shift sideways.

sideshift should only be used for dodging, not helping with turns, It looks completely unrealistic and feels terrible compared to the older braking technique, so a suggestion to either disallow on turns or slow you down some so it wouldn't benefit on the turns compared to just using the brake properly, Or slow you down on turns if you use it while you are turning.

Timezone
    GMT -3

Quote Originally Posted by Rapier Racer View Post
    I would prefer not returning to classic handling simply because I hate the old style air brakes if you can even call them brakes, hold them for a fraction of a second to long and it pulls your ship into the wall. Thats just what I want my break to do not actually slow me down any just pull me sideways
    But thats the fun, tha chalenge... thats why I prefer the classic handling

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Am I the only one to say i am loving the 2 ways of airbrakes ?
    Classic ones were a beauty with a perfect neggie set up, also had a trick to get you faster wich was more secret than it is with sideshift on the new Pure airbrakes but still existing ( extremely quickly alternate airbrakes on a straight line and you get it faster, same on a boost pad in a much more impressive way)
    And now new airbrakes on Pure , i had few difficulties to adapt myself on them but i really love them especially sideshift techniques ( on boost pads or getting out quickly from a curve), this is tricky to use perfectly but very rewarded. In my opinion, this is the best compromise we can obtain on the psp format without a negcon.

Spot on correct, in my opinion, Arnaud. You`re not the only one.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Yup! Amen to that!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Too bad. Because the more people like the sideways shift the better the chances it is going to stay in the series! ;-)
    Seriously, though, I love Wipeout for being very simple yet very challenging and both the new airbrake function as well as the barrel roll only complicate the flow of the game. For me, anyways. The same was true for the speed boost after scraping a wall, but we certainly won't see that anymore.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

Agreed with the above post on the barrel rolls complicating the flow of WipEout. Don't know how exactly Studio Liverpool will implement this...don't get me wrong...I don't mind the barrel rolls being there for pilots who need it. It's just that defaulting barrel rolls to pressing left right left or vice versa whilst in the air kind threw me off a few times.

There were many instances where'd I'd get some air and would have to correct myself in the air for a better landing...this correction often saw me pressing left right and sometimes another left...this resulted in me barrel rolling just as i landed and would inadvertently stuff up my landing rather than correct it...hmmm. I dunno, I don't see a need for barrel rolls...personally.

And...sideways shift...never used it...never saw a use for it...WipEout to me like in the old school wipEouts was all about finding the right line...out in out cornering...and this could be done 2 ways, precision tap brake turn into corner accelerate, or slam airbrake, slide into corner form the outside to inside (apex of turn), them slam on the accelerator...

It's all about speed speed speed...too many complications like sideways shifts and rolls kinda complicates matters. I understand SL's attempts to mix things and change things up a bit. But...sometimes, why fix perfection when it wasn't broken...
    Last edited by cybrpnk; 5th May 2007 at 09:07 PM.

I've never been too fond of the barrell roll. I say get rid of barrel rolls and bring back hyperthrust. And I prefer the old airbrake but I dont think they would work too well with the L & R buttons like it did with L2 & R2 on the playstation.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    cybrpnk

YEAH!!! Hyperthrust...that was pretty cool...kinda like NOS for anti-gravity...

For the PSP I was using a 1 button airbrake scheme for awhile thinking L and R airbrake wouldn't be practical for a PSP...but I wasn't doing too well...

So I switched back to the old 2 button airbrake scheme and I use the analogue stick to steer...kinda works better...
    Last edited by Lance; 6th May 2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: removed redundant quote

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I disagree with bringing back hyperthrust, with the barrel roll system you actually have to do something to earn your little speed boost hyperthrust on the other hand is an easy, lazy and simple push of a button for instant speed, you can't possibly do it wrong and pay a price for unskillfulness can you? Then theres the system itself, currently I believe, assuming no energy is absorbed a Triakis could pull off more barrel rolls then lets say an Icaras due to shield strength however there are only limited tracks where a Triakis/Tigron could really exploit this system. Assuming it was implemented the same way hyperthrust would give a huge unfair advantage to ships with the highest strength shields since they could boost for much longer around the track and just like that you have the issue of superships and an unbalanced game again

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

But...wouldn't it take more thrust/boost to move a heavier ship(triakis) and less thrust/boost to move a lighter one(Icarus)..?
    Last edited by q_dmc12; 7th May 2007 at 10:28 PM. Reason: was typing in Engvish :P

It was very strategic I thought. But you would have to bring back the pits to keep the balance. That way, you wouldnt have people h thrust, absorb, h thrust, etc.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by q_dmc12 View Post
    But...wouldn't it take more thrust/boost to move a heavier ship(triakis) and less thrust/boost to move a lighter one(Icarus)..?
    Theoretically yes but I don't recall seeing such a system in the past, maybe I overlooked it I've not had a good shot at WO3 for ages

The barrel roll has stupid implementation. Gee lets destroy the analog stick or dpad as quickly as possible. left brake, right brake left brake would be better. Using hyperthrust was not skilless, it was a fine balance between thrust and energy. Barrel roll isn't much different except it destroys the controller. How fast you go shouldn't be decided by if you are good at street fighter.
    What I really want is a good floaty feel with smooth cornering, not freaking fzero. Just have the sideshift slow you down on turns more than real airbraking, that should satify people since you could still dodge weapons the same(that is what it is for). I think most agree that brake tapping for speed boost is absolutely retarded, as well as wall scraping, even though we all do it for faster speed. I don't want those bugs back either.
    Last edited by JABBERJAW; 8th May 2007 at 02:05 AM.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I have to agree about the Barrel Rolls - they're **** and I wish they'd never ended up in the game. I've intended to compete in virtually all of Arnaud's challenges, but opted out of those that require stupid amounts of barrel rolls per lap... end result is that I've hardly taken part in any of the challenges due to them.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

On PS3 there should be a special button for barrel rolls (if they return again), cause the PS3 controller offers two more buttons and so there is no chance of making a barrel roll without the intention to do so.

That will at least solve the left-right-left/right-left-right problem, won't it?

PSN ID
    madwiperII

Im not sure i liked the idea of barrel rolls - they were too 'not wipeout' if you know what i mean, With pure i felt i anst playing wipeout, but rather something not as good. I prefer the pit lane, and the hyperthrust.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn View Post
    On PS3 there should be a special button for barrel rolls (if they return again)
    Ahh, so they are doing away with them..

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Well they need to find another way of giving extra speed off jumps and possibly other LIMITED areas of the track, maybe hold a button that charges a boost up when you start falling off the jump, being able to boot anywhere at any time is in my opinion is nonsense and as far as I can tell won't be making a return for Pulse, good.