Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulse Concerns

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by insertcoin View Post
    So many weapons that it would be impossible to complete the race without pitting every lap (unless Florion Height Course 1)
    Tigron

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    The reverse tracks feature is not something we have taken 'from Fusion', as it is something that has appeared in numerous racing games throughout the years
    It certainly has lets not forget Wipeout 3 SE has a track mirror option

And the original Ridge Racer of um... 1995?
    And possibly others way before that.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry View Post
    The reverse tracks feature is not something we have taken 'from Fusion', as it is something that has appeared in numerous racing games throughout the years, we set out from the start saying we would not simply do 'cheap' reverse tracks, we would put as much effort into both directions from a design and art perspective and that is what we have done.
    I'm reminded of POD, that massively underrated '97 steampunk/space opera/Mad Max racing game. Some of its tracks (especially the later downloadable ones) were radically different in reverse mode, with whole sections being added or removed. I've never seen any other game go that far ever since.

Regardless of how much tarmac is different, if key sections are unchanged and the 'style' of the track remains the same, often one version of the track will end up 'better' and the others will be ignored. Need for Speed, I'm looking at you.

Off-topic: Wipeout 1 & 2097 had some fresh new settings, but every game after that recycled the same old 'Ridge Racer setting', this vaguely futuristic city. That or the generic dystopian setting of '64 and Fusion with some dumb bits of humour thrown in.

Is there a(n identity) reason why no other settings have been chosen, like deep future (racing on Delta Centauri) or cyberpunk? Maybe it's just me, but if I wanted to see glass skyscrapers, I'd take the train to Brussels. Early Wipeout has partly been about looks ('more colours, more speed, more noise'), whereas 3 and Pure no longer seem to care much and just scatter designer billboards around Ridge City.

Magnetic sections are okay if they enhance the track. Fatal Racing/Whiplash had this one track which featured a half loop followed by a corkscrew jump that flipped you right way up. The whole thing was magnetic (complete with big magnet signs) and you had to try and land wheels down on a track running upside down 'above' you. That was neat.

Generic loops and corkscrews are not.

As for the 'rollercoaster defence', I don't think rollercoasters do negative Gs all that often. You'd fly out of your seat. If you need a magnetic track to stay on the ground, maybe the descent is too steep in the first place...?

Yes, I'm thinking of the irritatingly fake Extreme-G tracks, which tended to feature very long straights going up and down and upside down pulling about -100 G at each kink, whereas all the player had to do was put a brick on the accelerator...

Mirrored tracks are entirely different. And of course other racing games have it. Many racing games have many other features too but Fusion is my only frame of reference for how it applies to Wipeout.

Can I just point out that this came from the second post in this thread in which I was advising Vagrant Logic to have faith in the team? It's only because my reverse track concern was commented on (in a way that would not have affected that concern) that I needed to go into more detail. I did not initially intend to. Nor is it a big issue. Can we go back and read my second post again?

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Laz View Post
    I'm reminded of POD, that massively underrated '97 steampunk/space opera/Mad Max racing game.
    WOW! I didn't think anyone played that game but me - I do a google search and I get some band
    Weren't you able to play that online as well? - back to the topic, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    ...Colin reads these boards a lot and has posted the team's intentions and he seems very aware of Fusion elements that people didn't react well to. I don't think there will be much to worry about in that regard. The old classics are very dear to people (esp 2097 and WO3) and Fusion isn't. Pure was very well received. Though I obviously can't speak for them, I think the team is likely very aware of this and will be looking as much as possible to recapture what was great about the classics while moving on from Pure rather than looking to the one black sheep of the series.

Back to the topi.... uh, wait a second. hm... a steampunk Mad Max Headroom racing game. Twenty minutes sideways into a parallel universe. Oh yeah! I could enjoy that.

oh... *coff, ahem* back to the topic.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Is this region free version?

Just being curious.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Anyone notice the colour of the chevrons in the teaser trailer? ORANGE?

I may be far too traditionalist for my own good, Where's the pretty blue?

Looks like some beautiful graphics we're in for

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by stin View Post
    Is this region free version?
    I assume you're asking to find out if folk with disks from different regions will be able to play each other?

If so, the answer is yes.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

Great news, Rob! Finally I will be able to play against Mr. Smith and Mr. Lee.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Great news indeed, Rob.
    Thanks for that info

At long last, the right way.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Silverstream View Post
    I hope Zone mode has more interesting tracks in Pulse as opposed to the colourful but unexciting ones we had in Pure.
    Good god! I absolutely love the design of Pure's Zone tracks! I wish had had some downloadable Zone content for Pure, but maybe there's going to be more tracks in Pulse...

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Nice to see you here again, Ben

In terms of the new Zone mode: are we allowed to talk about the infos we got in Amsterdam?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

ermmm Max
    infos from Amsterdam, ahhh you mean when you were drunk and hear some voices from outerspace

Rob & Colin are the bosses

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

OOOH! You guys got an exclusive!! - rat 84573rds

Though it servers me right for not being there

Any chance you missed some of the info when editing the videos?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    84573rds
    yeah! finally the lessons you teached me last year about leet have paid !!
    i guess it's the famous Stin's word when i kick his arse on Kai

about video I have to auto-censured me : due to ESRB Content rating

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I think you missed at least one small info in the videos. Nothing big though.
    And I also could be wrong about that.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

When Pulse comes along, then download packs and will it be free? or will we have to pay download packs?

stevie

Cool ??

I dont know if this has been posted yet. apologies if it has.

New Interview with one of the designers of the game.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=75937

sounding better and better.
    Last edited by Angryman; 7th May 2007 at 02:01 PM.