Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulse Concerns

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Default Pulse Concerns

Hey guys. It's been a long time since I posted. But I'm psyched to hear about Pulse.

I do have one concern, though. With these "Magnetic Sections" to have loops and such, I'm worried we'll get back into some situation like we had in Fusion.

I have a ton of faith in the development team, though. So I'm sure it'll be great.

It was just a small worry, you know?

I think many people share your concerns. I really thought Fusion was a mis-step and it was the first thing I thought of when I saw reverse tracks and magnetic sections mentioned for Pulse.

However, as you know, Colin reads these boards a lot and has posted the team's intentions and he seems very aware of Fusion elements that people didn't react well to. I don't think there will be much to worry about in that regard. The old classics are very dear to people (esp 2097 and WO3) and Fusion isn't. Pure was very well received. Though I obviously can't speak for them, I think the team is likely very aware of this and will be looking as much as possible to recapture what was great about the classics while moving on from Pure rather than looking to the one black sheep of the series.

Bring back the bounce.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

yes, it always seemed like fusion ships were locked onto the track after a jump

Timezone
    GMT + 12

having recently getting hold of a fusion disk (again) and then promptly returning it (again) i would hate to see Pulse share the (in my opinion) 'downforcey' feel of fusion. it felt like flying an f1. no thanks.

Having said that, i dont think they would throw it like that. only time will tell.

PSN ID
    Silverstream001

Default Concerns

I really liked WipEout Fusion actually, but I must admit the 'trackless' sections were little more than an annoyance and I hope Pulse doesn't go the same way.

I hope Zone mode has more interesting tracks in Pulse as opposed to the colourful but unexciting ones we had in Pure.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    ...when I saw reverse tracks...
    not every track will be the same when played reverse because of different track layouts

That wouldn't help my issue with reverse tracks. Wipeout, unlike almost any other racing game I've played, is best for me when played on instinct. It's one of the reasons the amount of tracks found in the first couple of gmes was perfect for me. I could play them over and over until, eventually, I didn't have to think about what was coming next. My fingers just went in the right directions.

Fusion revealed to me how this was happening - the visual clues. When Fusion introduced reverse tracks and multiple routes, I couldn't learn the tracks to an instinctual level because I was seeing the same visual clues, yet getting conflicting messages from whatever part of my brain plays Wipeout. My instinctual playing simply couldn't happen in Fusion.

If we have reverse tracks in Pulse and I'm getting the same visual clues yet needing totally different reactions whether played forward or reverse, it will mean I'll never get totally comfortable with the tracks.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Which I would agree with if you were running the same part of the track in the same direction, but you're not.

True, but you're getting the same visual input. Some objects are going to look very different as you're going to see the back of them but many track areas are going to look much the same - same walls, same textures, same background constructions.

Imagine Phenetia Park backwards. The texures alone in that high-walled section give my brain enough info to recall the movement and the order. Going backwards, I'd get the same visual input and I'd plough into the wall.

I'm not saying this happens to everyone (or even anyone else), but it happened to me in Fusion. Never once did I get familiar with a track layout. When the Classic versions appeared in Pure, the Fusion layouts meant nothing to me yet the others were instantly familiar.

As far as concerns go, it's a big one for me. The reasons some things don't work or cause problems aren't always as obvious as they seem. The fact that people didn't react well to Fusion would have me personally nervous about revisiting those elements because it assumes I understand exactly what caused the problem. I may well not.

But, as I said in the second post, these concerns were just my initial gut reaction. Pure has earned the team my trust and trust them I do. Yeah, there are concerns but Colin is clearly aware of the differences in reception between Fusion and Pure (and, of course, the classics). Pure was gaming gold and I have no doubt that Pulse will be excellent. I couldn't look forward to it more than I already am!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

As far as I can remember Clarko said something about the backwards tracks which sounded like this: "You can race the tracks backwards in Pulse, but they'll be totally different tracks than when racing them forwards. It'll be different from the way this was done in Fusion." Correct me if I've misunderstood something there, guys, but I think that's what was announced by Clarko.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Well I don't have a problem with backwards tracks. I can't say I found myself suffering from what Dogg describes, to me the tracks felt so different in reverse that I learned them as a new track layout entirely so bring the backwards tracks on I say!

If you have a problem with reverse tracks, just don't play them(except to beat the game). The reverse tracks in fusion played much different, and actually a cool part of the game, and actually would be even better with good physics.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

I have to agree, it made the tracks more interesting even after playing them over and over - gave the tracks a little variety; enhanced the replayablility.

Wipeout Fusion was a pretty bad game

I doubt you'll find anyone in Studio Liverpool who will argue it was anything other than the worst in the series and flawed in many many ways.

However, that does not mean that everything about Fusion was bad.
    For example, Zone Mode came from Fusion, and personally, I think Zone Mode is ace.

The reverse tracks feature is not something we have taken 'from Fusion', as it is something that has appeared in numerous racing games throughout the years, we set out from the start saying we would not simply do 'cheap' reverse tracks, we would put as much effort into both directions from a design and art perspective and that is what we have done. I was and I am acutely aware of not breaking things and not adding or changing or removing things just for the hell of it. I completely appreciate peoples concerns that the game doesnt turn out like some sort of Pure / Fusion Hybrid - It wont.
    I can also understand Dogg Thangs problem with reverse tracks in general, that I have to say though is something I cant really address

Remember, the reverse tracks in Fusion were not all bad some played far better than the forward version ! And without the Fusion reverse tracks, I would never have worked on Fusion (as my initial job that I was hired for was sorting them out for camera and pads etc) meaning there would never have been a Wipeout Pure !
    Sort of.
    Last edited by Colin Berry; 4th April 2007 at 08:51 AM.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    radiumx

I still think Fusion wasn't that bad IMO. I quite enjoy playing it still. It had an ace soundtrack!

Only a few flaws:
    Ships sucked to the ground
    So many weapons that it would be impossible to complete the race without pitting every lap (unless Florion Height Course 1)

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

oh don't get me wrong, when it came out I though it was the best one yet. However, upon comparing it to the "classics" I too began to notice some caveats (caviots?)......quirks - some quirks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

That's how Clarko explained the reverse track designs to me. That isn't the case for all tracks, but at least for a few.
    So not every track reverse will be the same as forward just with another direction.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Oooh!

Check out Max and his elite Photoshop skillz!

Exclamation

I assume where there is a huge drop there will be tunnels or something when playing in reverse, unlike fusion where you had these stupid fans which pushed you up.
    It would be cool if it was done this way, and would ease my worries a bit, but you still have loops and areas where you become stuck to the track ala fusion.
    But after all the complaints and bitching which were done about Fusion, i'm confident that LS have learnt from that experience and won't go in that direction for Pulse and definitely (hopefully) not for PS3 wipeout.

The image suise posted is also a good way of doing it, as long as there are no fans! PLEASE!
    Last edited by Angryman; 4th April 2007 at 02:09 PM.