Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Pure and fantastic firmware 3.11

PSN ID
    xdirex

I find it hard to 'stay true' to a company (Sony) that that does so many things to disrespect it's loyal customers.

Plus, there are so many advantages to running a custom firmware on your PSP. You havnen't lived until you've played Wipeout Pure in 333Mhz mode, the speed that the PSP was always intended to run at. The difference in framerate is amazing (not that Pure was bad to begin with, but 333 makes it REALLY good).

Also, the ability to jump back and forth between different firmwares is great for getting around the issues that we're talking about here.

Other advantages:
    - Run at 4th brightness setting regardless of whether the power is plugged in.
    - POPS emulator allows you to play all of the PS1 games that you already own (I beleive in fair use of things you've already paid for).
    - Run your games from the memory stick, resulting in much quicker load times and less battery drain.
    - Plus many others (high-res movies, recovery mode, customisations, homebrew applications, etc).

I appreciate that some of these features do open the doors for piracy. I would never dream of pirating a Wipeout game, because I love what the developers do with the games, and want them to keep doing it, and get rewarded for their amazing work.

As responsible users, why not enjoy some great extra features that the PSP should have been capable of in the first place? Sony seems to ignore us a lot of the time, so I'm glad that some other programmers have taken it upon themselves to unleash what the system is truly capable of.

Ditto.

I used to love Sony.

Damn' near everything I bought had ''SONY'' on it.
    Not anymore.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Well that is interesting, it's like they just keep stacking up the **** they won't officially sort any problems their updates create and seem to want to make sure you can't find an unofficial way to sort them yourself.

I am thinking that when Firmware 4xxx comes around it will be at the stage where is causes Pure to be erased off the UMD

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

LOL! fw 4.X is the latest version of the sony virus

I have have heard so many great things about custom firmware, when worms2 for PSP comes I think I just might upgrade to one of the OE's.

Bad Sony, BAD!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by xdirex View Post
    As responsible users, why not enjoy some great extra features that the PSP should have been capable of in the first place? Sony seems to ignore us a lot of the time, so I'm glad that some other programmers have taken it upon themselves to unleash what the system is truly capable of.
    You're right, but then I understand Sony has to prevent less responsible users from being... less responsible than others.
    Also, they seem to have learned from firmware issues as you can install any OS on a PS3. That's something Microsoft doesn't offer. I like to give it to Sony that they first had to learn about how to deal with the then new option of regular updates for gaming systems.

Ben

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I take it theres no news from the Sony camp/studio Liverpool regarding the issues then, just going to have to live with it till Pulse gets here?

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

maybe mid summer will be more prosperous

PSN ID
    damonhill0

I can certainly recommend updating to homebrew. I run Pure from an ISO (all legal) at 333mz. It runs like a charm.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    borell

According to rumours, v3.50 is coming in the end of the month together with v1.80 for the PS3. [pspupdates.qj.net]

PSN ID
    infoxicated

It's in the second note at the bottom of the press release about PS3 FW 1.8:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Cont...2&NewsAreaID=2

So it should come in the next week.

Not sure it'll solve any problems with Pure, though.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

isn't 3.5 the unhackable one??

PSN ID
    infoxicated

AFAIK you cant downgrade the current one anyway.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Not that I needed custom firmware, but I was wondering what exactely Sony means by unhackable, anyway. Latest firmwares couldn't be hackend, you had to downgrade first (using an exploit, of course) . So, is it that you can't exploit that upcoming "save" FW or what exactely is the difference? On another note: It should be possible to hack ANY OS/FW, no?

Ben

What sony means by unhackable is "Stop messing around with our Firmware!" Yea it wont be unhackable sony is just getting tired of updating thier system to prevent custom firmwares and all the other good things the psp can do. if they leave the psp alone it can be the best thing around. It will just take time for the hackers to hack sonys lastest FW anyways. When will sony learn?

PSN ID
    damonhill0

Never, probably.

Moving to custom firmware was the best thing (PSP-wise) I ever did. I'm currently running Gran Turismo on it. Brilliant!

PSN ID
    o_fluff

Ive had my psp sitting on 3.01 for a long while now, in all fairness I've not used it in a long, long time. Ive not found any games that have been yelling "buy me!" since lanuch, meaning I only have Pure and Katamari to play. (also is the fact i'd rather not spend £40 on something I can buy cheaper for the ps2) I would use other features, but I lack a large [memory] stick, so once i eventually shell out for one i have vidoe player.

One question... Does 3.40 OE-A play pure without glitches and...does anyone actually know someone with an unpatched GTA game, no-one i know seems to have one, yet they all managed to downgrade. Strange...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

I'd rather "upgrade" to 3.03OE or 3.10OE (if you want to play pure under 333mhz and want higher psx emulation compatability). There's no (good) current game that needs firmware higher than 3.03 (MGSO included), and since you don't even own any you're fine without 3.4 or 3.5.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

But there is. Ratchet & Clank (needs 3.30, if I remember correctly) turned out great! Only thing is: You can't play it with your PSP at 333 MHz.

PSN ID
    damonhill0

3.40 oe plays pure at 333mz with no issues. It also plays it at 222mz if you're that way inclined.....

I have GTA unpatched if anyone wants to borrow it.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl View Post
    But there is. Ratchet & Clank (needs 3.30, if I remember correctly) turned out great! Only thing is: You can't play it with your PSP at 333 MHz.
    3.11 min cos I just got that game for my son since tuesday!

stevie