Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Venom Karbonis TT Challenge!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Hmm, I just noticed that the 3 of us are responsible for all the recent updates. Almost all of it Karbonis updates. In the past 6 hours.

Way to take the home page! 8 )

Obviously we're all having a great time with this little competition.

You're working the FEISAR time closer and closer to the Kween and I there Lance. A 2:20 is more than I thought was possible for the Euros. If you ever get to a state that you don't call "totally inactive" I might get worried about that FEISAR in my rear-view.

Feisar can do better than 2:20 and faster than 46.2; I just haven't got there yet; I made substantial mistakes during all my times. One time I was on track for a 2:18+, but screwed up badly on the last lap.

This is definitely a fun competition.

I hadn't touched the controller for many days, and when I did those times last night, I had a cold; had to hit reset so many times because I kept sneezing during the start. But I bet I would not have done as well if I'd been healthy. This racing thing is an odd thing. So often my best piloting is done when I'm drunk or very tired or otherwise not in top form mentally.

Maybe it even helps that I'm getting so old. That would be odd, indeed.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I had coffee with the turbo fairy today. It was great. I turboed my brains out for two hours, beat Task's time with a 2:16:1 and managed to tie the lap time and thought, what the!! I can do better than this, I know it! I just had coffee with the turbo fairy!!

So here it is. Session 5? Times:

43:8 - 46:6 - 44:6 - 2:15:0

I am now positioning my dented crown atop my head. Queen again. For now.

"This racing thing is an odd thing. So often my best piloting is done when I'm drunk or very tired or otherwise not in top form mentally."

I don't think I could ever claim to be in top form mentally, lol! Not now! After all not everyone believes in the turbo fairy. I used to read intelligent books - now I just play video games like an uneducated delinquent. Of course that was sarcasm.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Wow. 43.8 lap time.
    I knew it was there and that you'd do it first, but you could obviously take at least another 2 seconds off that. So a 2:13 can be beaten!

Theoretically.

Well, probably not by me anytime too soon, but I'll see what I can do. 8 )

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yeah, I'm pretty well convinced a 2:13 time would be the limit on this track. The way the turbo use works out, at absolute perfection I think someone could (theoretically ) get a 43:8 at the first, then a 45 in the middle to save last 2 turbos for a 44 end lap. Which would be 2:12:8. Yikes. That is a very scary thought.

I wonder if my Qirex skills [if I still have them, since that was 2.5 years ago] from the lower speed classes of XL would be transferrable to the original; are the tracks too different from XL to allow Qirex to do as well as more manoeuverable beasties? I'm thinking that Karbonis V would be a nightmare for Qirex pilots.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I'm pretty sure the Qirex could hold its own on a few of the straighter courses, especially Altima. It has the worst thrust and turning ability of all the 3600 craft, yet the highest speed. I don't dare try it on Karbonis as there are too many jumps and turns. But hey, you don't know until you try!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

I've tried, I might be able to tell you.

The WO Qirex is the strangest to drive of all craft in all WO's. Except perhaps the Assegai. But they're on completely opposite ends of the "strange" spectrum.

The inertia is massive, so you have to turn your craft way before the actual turn and as long as you're on Venom you'll likely actually make the turn. But you lose a lot of speed doing this, since most of your thrust is busy fighting your momentum.

There are two ways to drive it.
    One is via "oversteer": Turn more than you need to, use your thrust to stop you from sliding into the wall, and then turn back when you've passed the apex.
    The other way is all airbrake. I think this way is better, but it's a tough craft to fly, so I have trouble making a good qualitative analysis.

Like the lady says, it's amazing on the straight tracks, but killer on the curves. Great top-end speed, and I've tried it on Karbonis, but I can't keep the speed up. Perfect laps I can do, but they're slower than an AG Sys.

I'll have to try it sometime. So far, I don't save any of my times but those made with Feisar, no spare memory cards. I'm missing one and haven't found it yet. It's probably full anyway. What little experience I have with the AG-Sys on 'Original' tells me I could beat my Feisar times with it. I've not used Auricom at all, and tried Qirex only once for a few minutes on Altima, when I crashed repeatedly. :eyeroll, second level:

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I don't know if Task has also found this, but ALL of my WipEout original data saves on to one block of my memory card. Nice, especially when Wo3 takes about seven blocks! So hopefully you wouldn't have to make too much room anyways.

P.S. Anybody seen the WO PAL records for Karbonis? We're all (all 3 of us!) many seconds ahead of the euro team!

NAWTY! - North American WipEout Team - Yikes!

My what a little competition can do.
    Last edited by Medusa; 31st January 2007 at 06:13 PM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

8 D
    <singing>
    We're NAWTY, but we're nice!
    On Silverstream, made of ice!
    </singing>

Yeah, WO only takes a single block, it's pretty sweet that way.
    As long as you've got another block, you can make another save file!
    One file for FEISAR is a good idea, because you can take that file and copy it into another one for AG Sys. And see if you can beat the times. Then copy it again for Auricom. Lastly for Qirex. Auricom is ridiculously similar to Qirex, it's more "Qirex-lite" than anything. Not quite as fast, not quite as ponderous, it's only purpose is for Qirex training. Start FEISAR, move to AG Sys when you've got that handled, move to Auricom when you need more speed, and as soon as you've got Auricom handled move to Qirex and abandon the Auricom forever.

Interesting idea.

My memory cards are full. I would have to remove something. Always a difficult project, choosing what I need least.

----------

Tried both Qirex and Auricom on Karbonis last night. My goodness, the tails do slide wide. Couldn't even approach my Feisar and AG-S times. Will need much more practice, but I suspect they will never hold the best record on this course.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

First Attempt:

NTSC A - John Dekka - AG Systems - Dual Shock

Lap 1: 0:45.0
    Lap 2: 0:46.2
    Lap 3: 0:45.3

Total: 2:16.5
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 7th February 2007 at 01:11 AM.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Thumbs up Here comes a new challenger!

Welcome onboard Rory, that's a fantastic first attempt.

I notice that I've dropped considerably in many places on the record tables due to both you and Isadora. Nice times, the both of you!

I managed to get some more flight time in, but I've lost what earlier grip I thought I'd gained on that highly elusive (pipsquack!) turbostart. Fortunately though, I've gained some frighteningly good 2nd and 3rd lap abilities. I can almost do constant 45 second laps. Now all I have to do is combine that with a 44 second turbostart 1st lap and I've got it made!

Yeah, that'll happen any moment now. Wait for it... 8 P

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Yes nice start Rory! More contenders means oh so much more stress...

Awesome SR lap time on Karbonis, Task! Very sweet! I was checking twice to make sure I read it right!
    And 2:15:9 for the TT race time....phew, I'm starting to feel threatened I think I'll put off working on the other tracks again until I can nail Karbonis down with all I've got-hmm, may take awhile!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

8 ) Yes, those are my new Venom SR times.

I won't tell you what I did for the Turbo Fairy, but I can tell you this: She really, really liked it.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Oooohhhhh, now that's NAWTY! lOL groan lol!
    (I had a feeling the turbo fairy was headed east...)

Congrats on all the great times.

No, I've not forgotten about the challenge. I still want to get my Feisar times down below 46 lap and 2:20 race. Maybe I'll even try AG-S to see if I can compete with you guys. I'm sure you are not holding your breath awaiting the next time I actually do a racing session; this is good. No telling how long it will be till I do.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

Thank god! I thought you were posting times Lance when I saw the new post here. Task's 2:14 sr race time has scared the --- out of me, I'm waiting for that 2:12:8 to show up in the TT! If it's possible...

(Task, I got the lap time but that is one heck of a race time...HARHARHAR, I finally got the magic 43-45-44 second combination, albeit in SR...now off to those Rapier TTs)
    Last edited by Medusa; 8th February 2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: sweet race...

I love this game so much I had to get another version. Here`s my entry, with a real NTSC PS1 (straight from Syracuse for $20) And a long box NTSC WipEout for just $5

AG Systems, John Dekka, Lap 43.50, Race 2.13.60.

NTSC version of this game is superior, imo, because:

- there`s no "Chemical Beats", probably the most unsuitable, irritating and concentration killing piece of WipEout music ever. The loss of "Afro-Ride" is not so good as that`s a champion track, but just Cold Storage = bliss.

- NTSC version is smoother and faster than PAL

- you don`t bottom out as much. Some of the impossibly bumpy sections on Venom are much smoother on NTSC.

- the timing of the turbo start is different on NTSC, but it`s a lot easier to get.

- there`s a little "loading" graphic for all the times when things go very still and quiet on the PAL version.