Thread: Piloting tips for Wipeout Pure

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Default Piloting tips for Wipeout Pure

The Official unofficial piloting guide to WOPure on the PSP!
    Please post only your tips here, do not post questions or comments on this thread (tips will get so spread out it'll be hard to find them amongst the discussion).
    There is a separate thread for discussion: http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6944
    Hopefully, finding the tip in here and the separate discussion that spawned it will be easy. *crossed fingers*
    Last edited by Task; 23rd October 2009 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Added link to discussion thread

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Seven months and no tips? Guess I'll bite.

Watch those track markings; they tell you precisely where your ship should be to ensure the fastest times possible. Avoid the striped sections unless you wish to pick up a weapon -- weapons are generally found on the least desirable sections of the track from a speed/trajectory standpoint, while speedpads are often found within the optimal racing line.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 12

If you have a bomb, try to place it down the middle of a set of S-bends so they can't avoid it. Mines, try to lay diagonally so they cover a bigger area, thus increasing your chance of hitting something.

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

only use boost on Citta on Phantom on the straight-a-ways, never use it on curves (unless you know you're that good)

also, AP on phantom on Citty should be used sparingly

PSN ID
    alteregorr

Hi q_dmc12, hi all.

....mmmh....there is a trick/tip about this track....and about the use of Turbo on it....

When you are with a turbo (SR or TT is equal) in the last tunnel, with nose of the ship straight to exit of the tunnel, fire the turbo and fly over the next chicane....BR....sideshift left and land in front of the two Bps after the chicane....if you have good nerves and control of the ship you gain from 1 to 2 seconds on a lap with this tip.....

Read You Soon
    CdRom

ps this tip is useful in every class, from Vector to Phantom, but it's more difficult to make it in very low velocity of vector and in high velocity of phantom....obviously...
    Last edited by Lance; 11th July 2007 at 06:34 PM. Reason: unnecessary quote removed.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Fast/Super Fast starts are not highly recommended at Blue Ridge, especially at higher speed classes, with 5/5 thrust craft.

Classic tracks usually offer more barrel roll opportunities since the tracks were originally meant for slower, less floatier machines. Hence the ridiculous airtime you will likely have.

The better your reaction time to the GO!, the better start you will get. You can rocket to the front off the grid if you time it just right (this is one Asayyeah taught me and there really is a difference between a "regular" fast start and this "super" fast start.)

There's all I have for now..
    Last edited by RJ O'Connell; 12th July 2007 at 05:36 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Default Fastest lap in free play and tactics for TT!

I will start with 123Klan.

In every fastest lap start your speedboost in your previous lap, exactly on the second starting grid, for optimal speed in your fastest lap.

Obvious tip: hit every speedpad, but when possible sideshift on the speedpads when it's good for optimizing your racingline. Sideshifting on speedpads will give your ship extra speed.

Okay, when you are doing this then your racingline should be as close as possible to the inside of the track. Hit your turbo when you are almost at the top of the small jump in the opensection. This will give you just the right height to BarrelRoll, try to stay as low as possible. Cut the opensection all the way over to the next curve to the left. Sideshifting hard here is a must. Now the trick is coming, your racingline must be absolutely perfect to sideshift left on the last speedpad before the monkeyhill to gain enough speed and height to be able to BR and turn left in the tunnel and land between the speedpads and off to the finishline.

To get a really fast TT racing time you'll have to repeat this the amount of laps the speedclass is asking for. The reason why I am saying this is because not every track is having the same turbo location for fastest lap and race too. This will be made clear in other descriptions of tracks.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Cardcity Run

A very nice and tricky track. For your fastest lap take the tips from the previous post. So with the turbo from the previous lap you will have to land precisely between the two speedpads after the first left curve. Take the spiral up on the inside of the curve. Use your turbo boost when you are at the top of the spiral, boost straight down to the little jump before the spiral down Barrel Roll and take a hard right with sideshifts and BR again into the spiral down. Yihaa, here we go down fast, take all the speedpads and make a really hard turn in the hairpin left, be sure to hit the speedpads here to give you the right amount of height and speed to make a BR and immediatly another BR and the the last BR of the lap. Good luck!!!

In the TT race you will have to use the turbo at the end of each lap and only in the last lap you will have to use the turbo at the same location as in your fastest lap.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Paris Hair

Paris Hair should have been the previous one! But anyway here we go with our turbo from the previous lap into the first right curve. The two 90 degrees turns left should be taken very sharp and with a lot of sideshifting. After this you have to try and keep your line in the middle of the track when you go up into the next right turn down. Try to keep your height as low as possible, if you are not able to stay low then try to make a BR. Both ways are almost the same. Sometimes staying low here is faster but sometimes a BR is faster too. Then you will have to take the next two left 90 degrees turns on the inside with a lot of sideshifting again. Of course try to hit every speedpad while you can. In the long right curve stay on the left side so you can sideshift to the right in the chicane to be able to hit the speedpad there. Now take the sharp left with sideshift a keep your line straight BR and press nose down. Before you land let go of nose down to land smoothly. In the long turn right, hit the first speedpad with one sideshift right and keep pressing to the right, you will stay in this way on the exact goodracingline to hit the next speedpad and sideshift again one timeto the right while pressing right on d-pad. Hit your turboboost when you can to be in line for going up on the right side of the split bridge and on your way to the finish.

Turbo location for TT race is the same to get the fastest racetime.

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Burgertown

My personal favourite of the omega league. Once you are able to find or feel the rhythm of this track, you will feel happiness.

Boosting your way into the fastest lap and coming from the right side of the track, hit the boostpad and sideshift to the left at the same time. Try to find a straight line through the chicane. Press hard left and sideshift on the speedpads through the two 90 degrees turns to the left. Press hard right and sideshift to the right to come down to hit the speedpads. Try to stay in the middle left side of the track to be able to sideshift to the right on the speedpads in the long curve to the right. Make sure you hit both of them while sideshifting at the same time. This will make sure you will gain enough height while sideshifting left and pressing left on the last speedpad before the narrow section. While you gained the right height BR and land exactly in the middle of the narrow section. Hit the turbo and BR, find a straight line to the next narrow section. Sideshift once to the left and softly tap to the left on the d-pad to get the perfect line for hitting the speedpad, sideshift left again to hit the next speedpad before last the turn to the left before going to the finish. Hit the speedpad before the jump and take the right side next to the jump to hit the last speedpads before the finishline.

It got RHYTHM!!!

Turbo location for TT race is the same to get the fastest racetime, but be sure to hit the ramp and BR in all laps but the last. See vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMnrRFam7vg
    Last edited by Mad-Ice; 14th October 2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: New strategy and vid!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Khara Descent TT is the most difficult one to get gold on in Pure. The times set for gold are somehow made very low on this track. I think Flash speed was the most difficult one, if I remember well.

For speedlap: Hit the boost from previous lap just before the startingline. Going with highspeed through the chicanes, then hit your turbo just when you come out of the right turn before the splitsection. Don't hit speedpads while using the turbo, it slows you down instead of giving you more speed. This turbo will give you enough speed to do three BRs on the descent down, take the left side. Furthermore it is a matter of hitting all the other speedpads and taking the cleanest lines. Oh yeah, almost forgot, when you are able to sideshift on a speedpad it will give you just a little extra speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad-Ice View Post
    Khara Descent TT is the most difficult one to get gold on in Pure. The times set for gold are somehow made very low on this track. I think Flash speed was the most difficult one, if I remember well.

For speedlap: Hit the boost from previous lap just before the startingline. Going with highspeed through the chicanes, then hit your turbo just when you come out of the right turn before the splitsection. Don't hit speedpads while using the turbo, it slows you down instead of giving you more speed. This turbo will give you enough speed to do three BRs on the descent down, take the left side. Furthermore it is a matter of hitting all the other speedpads and taking the cleanest lines. Oh yeah, almost forgot, when you are able to sideshift on a speedpad it will give you just a little extra speed.
    i've been having a nightmare with this track, on flash. venom was difficult but i got it eventually. enjoying the challenge of it though, even though i was quite busy cruising through the game otherwise. the TTs on some of the other downloadable content tracks like vohl square and anulpha pass are also pretty challenging. they teach you the importance of a good racing line, using the speed pads effectively and consistency. actually, koltiwa was also pretty gruelling until you figured when to use the turbo powerup most effectively. anyway, i'll try your advice out, cheers

Good luck, Khara really demands you to barrel roll like crazy on the "steps". I think you can succeed to the left or right, but I am not going to argue with Mad Ice about which is fastest! Learning to do these BRs and keep straight is good training Work out how many barrel rolls your ship can do in the race, then divide them out between the laps to maintain the best overall average speed. Also on Khara you absolutely must sideshift when coming out of corners I think to regain your line, balance and momentum. It`s a good track for learning Pure skills!

PSN ID
    alteregorr

Hi All

I subscribe Khara / flash is the hardest TT gold in all Pure.

only another tip/completation on the explanation of mad ice.

when you use the turbo before the split test if you reach to make 3 br in line on the steps in every lap.
    totally you'll have 4 laps with 3 br a lap = 12 br for the gold!

You obviously must use a energy full ship like goteki or triakis (best if you master it).
    at the end....very carefull to choose the right line in the last left bend before the start line.
    You must hit every single boost pad in the open part and the last before the arrive after the bend.

good luck!

read you soon
    cdrom

ah, thank you! i have not got a clue about firmware, so i'll just smile and nod. i have a tip for exostra park - when approaching the long straight in the second half of the track, use the boost powerup then and barrel roll. make sure you head slightly to the right before boosting onto the straight, however, i've bounced right off the track a few times when not lining up properly

I'm sorry it's a question, but what are the top Speeds of every speed class in Pure?

PSN ID
    VacuusVocis

So I've gone through the speed classes for Van-Uber (I know, DLC team, but I like the look of it.)
    With a little bit of approximation and rounding up:

Vector is a slow crawl at 370km/h
    Venom averages a nice leisurely 450km/h
    Flash jumps that up to around 530km/h
    Rapier is something like 650km/h
    Phantom is around 790km/h

Obviously it's hard to pin it down due to the speed loss while turning and airbraking, and the sudden gain while using boost pads, barrel rolls and turbo's.
    Also, obviously, teams with Speed 5 will average higher speeds, while teams with Speed 2 average slightly lower speeds.
    And while the difference is never much more than 10-15 km/h between a S2 and S5 ship, it makes quite a difference on straights where the faster teams will slowly squeeze past the slower ones.