Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New WipEout game... Flash to the past?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Northern_Raven

Default New WipEout game... Flash to the past?

So far, every new version of WipEout has taken us farther into the future. What if the new game would take us the early days of AG racing? Maybe it would be unsanctioned and more dangerous? If this is a repost, just delete the post. If not, I'd love to hear what others think.

Smile

unsanctioned and more dangerous?

Very interesting idea bro - how exactly do you mean?

I would love to see a hi-def version of 'pre-Wipeout 2097' racing, it would rock bells I am sure I am very interested in how Studio Liverpool could improve on Wipeout Pure - all I want is a Wipeout PS-3 Killer App....Online Racing.....Online Time Trial.....Online Ghost laps.....it would be the best video game ever made Respect bro

OH MY GOD....

Can you imagine a high definition, WipEout era game, new versions of all the original tracks, remixed music to fit the mood, heavy industrial themes for the tracks like Terramax and some of the small refinements we know and love from newer race seasons!

I think I need to sit down!!!

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Northern_Raven

In case you’re wondering, here’s the premise of my idea.

How about having the next WipEout game flash back to the premature era of AG-racing?

Surely, AG craft weren’t initially developed for racing. I’m sure that before racers most AG craft were for commercial or military use.

What if some of the developers of AG transport systems working for Pierre Belmondo tinkered with some of their projects at home, on the weekends?

What if some of them made a few modifications of their own, making their AG craft lighter, faster, more aerodynamic... more dangerous?

What if they met on the weekends (or on holiday) in secrets spots around the world to test their craft and race against each other?

This is before a sanctioning body existed or any rules regarding AG “racing” were established. This AG racing isn’t “pure” at all. This AG racing is as raw as it gets, with no restrictions on speed, power or design.

Can you imagine the visceral thirst for speed?

Can you imagine racing these craft on early tracks, some of which were constructed to test the mettle and nerve of the racers? So lovely and dangerous.

Can you imagine the rush of racing these primitive AG-racing craft?

Strap me up.

I quite like this idea. It sounds like it could have a much higher sense of danger - not from weapons fire, but from the enviroments. In a similar vein to the pod-race scene from Star Wars Episode I - the thing that's most likely to reduce your veichle into a smouldering wreck (unless you're trying to overtake Sebulba ) is the landscape you're racing across. It's this kind of wildness that's quite missing from previous WipEouts - most eliminations are the result of one rocket too many rather than failing to react to a corner in time.

I think this would be really cool. Perhaps you could have things like breakdowns, mechanical instability, if there was good way to do that. Maybe over hyper-thrusting could cause a breakdown.

Kind of like speed testing on Bonneville flats and stuff, using natural material as tracks etc.

Although that said, in the original Wipeout i think the league is set up as a showcase for AG technology, supposing that it predates weapons use etc. I think it would be quite cool if it was an amateur thing. Perhaps there could be a young Pierre Belmondo just making a name for himself. The whole thing makes me think of the danger of the early Manx TTs, etc. Perhaps we could have racing on city streets etc. Also, there could be emerging new technologies like shields, reflectors etc. similar to the use of fairings and later dustbin fairings, twins etc. on early racing motorcycles.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Northern_Raven

There you go... you guys are getting the idea!

Maybe racing inside sewer tunnels or in subways!

even across open terrain of sorts, with maybe a few river crossings ( think boats and stuff whizzing past with AG's thunderng between them and you get the idea )

The sewer tunnels one is a good idea, as is the subways, makes me think of the abandoned stations on the London underground.

It makes me think of Fusion I think that sort of open terrain or street racing thing could work well maybe for a small, limited part of the game, like the Omegas work well as an entertaining side-portion of Pure, but the main game stays as racing on purpose-built new tracks with walls on both sides. I really don`t want them to take any chances on the next game - just give us what we have with all the improvements we ever wanted and all the next-gen benefits, as Ringo Spoon says above.

Well, maybe PS3 WipEout shall take every strong point of all the previous WipEouts and bring them all together into a perfect speed ballad (along with one or two new additions - next-gen visuals, online play out-of-the-box, custom soundtracks, much longer tracks, etc); and IF there's a second WipEout game for PSP, that could take a look at the events which preceeded the F3600. It could be an awesome retrospective, I reckon.

Yeah, i think that is the best way to go about it. Handhelds are good for trying out all the unusual ideas.
    Last edited by Task; 5th November 2006 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote of immediately preceding post remove

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Noooooo PS3 Wipeout can't go backwards! It must move forwards. I want to race the decent teams we have in the game just now not to be flying an unstable ugly floating thing created during someone’s free time at the weekend that could stop mid-race because I thrashed out the engine! If we’re talking pre Wipeout then there would be no eliminations that would take a whole lot of fun out of any online multiplayer mode there might be and removes the survival element altogether, I’m assuming there would be no weapons pads in these sewers?

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Quote Originally Posted by RingoSpoon
    unsanctioned and more dangerous?

Very interesting idea bro - how exactly do you mean?

I would love to see a hi-def version of 'pre-Wipeout 2097' racing, it would rock bells I am sure I am very interested in how Studio Liverpool could improve on Wipeout Pure - all I want is a Wipeout PS-3 Killer App....Online Racing.....Online Time Trial.....Online Ghost laps.....it would be the best video game ever made Respect bro
    lol, yeah! WipEout 2087

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    Northern_Raven

maybe the game could be called WipEout: Generations

Have PS3 versions of all the previous games but with PS3 grafx, then a version that does all the stuff from the early days of WO..

Racing in the subways and sewers sounds awesome...

I also like the sound of racing up or down the face of a mountain - in a similar vein to Sebenco Climb, except there would be no barriers on the outer edge of the track. Drift too far wide near the top of the mountain . . . man, you'd better hope for a soft landing!

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Man, just do both the games for both the consolles , the forward-into-the-future Wipeout and Wipeout Year Zero. Just scale the polygon count down for the PSP.

Racing in the sewers sounds like a nasty version of Wipeout Dungeons and Dragons. Spending all your time in a dark hole. Thank you for the offer, but no.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by q_dmc12
    lol, yeah! WipEout 2087
    Sounds good mate Oh, and on the ghost front - Not only do I want to be able to download / select them directly for a race online - I would like to be able to play multiple ghosts at the same time

I can remember San Francisco Rush 2049 on the Dreamcast had multiple ghosts, and it *rocked*

Hello everyone,

I've always loved the art design of the original two games, especially their CG intros, so I attempted to create an ingame next-gen stretch of track based on the F3600 / F5000 idea. It all proved abit too taxing and was (for the time being) abandoned, but I hope you like this salvaged render.

Steve

Last edited by infoxicated; 8th February 2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Image too big - please read the guidelines.