Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bring back The Designers Republic!

Default Bring back The Designers Republic!

Who else would like to see TDR do another Wipeout game? I know I would!
    Saying that I think there has been a few changes at TDR with some of their top designers setting up on their own like: - Build & Universal Everything
    Last edited by chri5; 29th October 2006 at 10:45 AM.

i think that new designers should push the design further and not stick to TDR's concepts which have been exploited way too much in design (in general). To me, TDR's designs were the crucial part of wipeout, but i got bored of it, not to say - their pretentious style, and themes which are coming back over and over again, like a bad nightmare.

Not to disrespect TDR, but i guess it's not only me who thinks that TDR's role in Wipeout universe was crucial. WAS. Time to move on. BTW, there's no way - we ordinary people can do something about Future Wipeout team's decision on which designing studio to choose. Probably they have picked designers already, since Future Wipeout is most likely in developement for some time now.

I agree about TDR style been ripped to death but when it comes from them it does seem to have a certain higher quality.

I think the 123KLAN should do more for the game to.

right on, i think they're the best choice out there (if we had any )

Please please PLEASE bring back the Designer's Republic... They made Wip3out what it is for me.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

is there a thread somewhere that specifies EXACTLY what tDR was responsible for in the wipeout games?
    like I know they are responsible for the team logos, the typefaces used, and certain (but which?) elements of the styling.
    were they responsible for the ship designs in 2097 and w3o? or just the paintjobs?
    how much did they have to do with the track decoration?

tDR did typefaces, billboards, ship logos, and, if I recall correctly, the 3-2-1 girl [Curly]. They never did game concepts, nor the ship designs nor the track designs nor the scenery. They were responsible only for the most superficial parts of the 'look'.

And the designers who worked at tDR in the days when they did work under contract for Sony aren't there anymore. So what's the point of having DR back?

This is an old subject that has already been thrashed about thoroughly in other threads. [Let's see if I can get more 't's and 'h's and 'r's and 's's in close proximity in a sentence. ]

Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    is there a thread somewhere that specifies EXACTLY what tDR was responsible for in the wipeout games?
    like I know they are responsible for the team logos, the typefaces used, and certain (but which?) elements of the styling.
    were they responsible for the ship designs in 2097 and w3o? or just the paintjobs?
    how much did they have to do with the track decoration?
    http://www.thedesignersrepublic.com/ - go on work, and go down to Wip3out. The little read arrows either side of the list scroll down, there isnt just one sub-category of wip3out, haha!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

the WipEout and 2097 sections used to be in there too, but have been retired. I guess work that was done 10+ years ago is no longer relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    And the designers who worked at tDR in the days when they did work under contract for Sony aren't there anymore.
    Which ones were they?

Although the Designer's Republic is a design agency, the overall agency's style hasnt changed that much. I still think they could do a better job than the cackhandedness of Fusion.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    blackwiggle

Quote Originally Posted by ace-of-spades
    Although the Designer's Republic is a design agency, the overall agency's style hasnt changed that much. I still think they could do a better job than the cackhandedness of Fusion.
    The Designer's Republic are GOD's and should be respected as such.

If it wasn't for THEIR Design concepts,Well I doubt the Wipeout games as such would ever have the following that it does.....Hence.

This Website might not exist.
    Last edited by blackwiggle; 30th October 2006 at 03:58 PM.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Excuse Me?? Lol!!!!!!

Edit: ooo looky 1000 posts, there must be cake
    Last edited by Rapier Racer; 30th October 2006 at 04:47 PM.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Quote Originally Posted by blackwiggle
    The Designer's Republic are GOD's and should be respected as such.

If it wasn't for THEIR Design concepts,Well I doubt the Wipeout games as such would ever have the following that it does.....Hence.

This Website might not exist.
    Read the posts i was replying to duh duh, or in fact the first post i made in this thread. I like the designers republic.

I think the series has done its Designer`s Republic phase. It was fantastic at the time and contributed strongly towards the series` identity, but we`ve been there, done that, and there`s no need to go back. While some of their efforts, like the animated logos in Wip3out, are genius, I also find their style quite sterile in places and overall I preferred the warmer and more humorous style in Pure, which, while it borrowed from DR in places, also demonstrated that Studio Liverpool has the in-house talent to do a great job. I think they should save their money and spend it elsewhere, like on licensing more great music or making sure we get an HD Next-gen Ubermall. Hell, if they give me that I`ll be quite happy if SL get their kids to do the design work (almost).

I always think of the Fat Cat as the icon of Wipeout. Did DR invent that? Maybe, but I`m not sure they did because he/she appears in Pure.

I'd like to see the logos done differently, no offence to TDR, but realistically the styling of a worlds lodos and suchforth wouldn't just stay that way for how long the WO story spans.

But yeah, imagine an Icaras logo done in 123 Klan's style or someone similar. I think we could be pleasantly suprised.

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    I always think of the Fat Cat as the icon of Wipeout. Did DR invent that? Maybe, but I`m not sure they did because he/she appears in Pure.
    Angryman is their thing, its on their website.

I think the Fat Cat is the old Psygnosis symbol. Maybe from even before Wipeout existed.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Actually it's not the same cat I think. Maybe because of TDR's license. Go on the official website to get more info, nowhere the name "Fat Cat" is mentioned. But I believe it's an allusion to the Fat Cat though.