Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incorrect Weapon Designation

PSN ID
    spinstartshere

Default Incorrect Weapon Designation

I don't know if this is just my dodgy hearing, but sometimes I could swear I hear the weapon that I pick up named incorrectly. Has anyone else experienced this, or am I hearing things?

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

A few of the weapon pronunciations do sound similar; I don't SR much, but when I do, i often get confused between Mines and another weap that is pronounced similarly (I forget which one.) Might be that it's just an SE thing, but i've never noticed it in all my days with W30.

Can you specify which weapons are being said wrong? Would help solve the mystery... maybe

BTW, welcome to the board

PSN ID
    spinstartshere

lol thanks. It's not really any weapons in particular, it's just sometimes, very rarely, it sounds to me as though a weapon different to the one I have picked up is named. Although it is just a possibility that I'm hearing things wrong, it just doesn't seem right to mishear something like that. I can't see anything that sounds similar to anything else myself; what sounds similar to you?

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Reflector and Plasma I think it was, then i could swear there's something sounds similar to Mines when spoken in-game. Doesn't bother me anyway, I tend to not bother and just launch anything I get anyway, providing it's not the accursed one... Auto-wuss.

PSN ID
    spinstartshere

Yeah, Mines is one that I've heard wrong a few times. I think I heard Rocket a few times, even though they sound nothing alike. And Autopilot isn't that bad I don't think - it's Wipeout Fusion's Autopilot I never use. Once it very literally drove me off the track - it did a 180 and went right off the track.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Lets see if I can help clear this up.

Go to the Downloads area of WipeoutZone

There I've added a zip file containing all of the sound effects used in Wipeout 3 Special Edition. Among my favourites "warning" and "engaged" you'll also find unused ones like "napalm".

Yes, I know it's almost six years since the game came out but we have to kind of ration this stuff or, well, we might just run out of content one day.

PSN ID
    spinstartshere

Wow how did u get them off the disc? I thought there were loads more sounds than that used for the game. But with all due respect, I don't understand how that clears anything up. Unless maybe it's all the game sounds on top of the voice that makes it sound like something else to me. Maybe they did help.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I figured you could listen to them individually and figure out which ones were similar to you. Or don't - I'm not the boss of you.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Thank you very much Rob .
    I can now associate W30 sounds to many of pc sounds ( if i can figure out that )
    My Fav loop would be to first hear the sound of ' plasma ' and then the voice of ' contender eliminated'

fantastic Rob, many thanks for this treat. We have Curly too. My PC will never be the same again.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

O.o this is GREAT! now I'll hear Curly every time I start up my pc at work!

edit: after thoroughly listening to all the WAVs, I have noticed something I never noticed while playing: the announcer, is she spanish? listen to 'contender eliminated' or 'energy drain' for example - that definitely sounds like a spanish accent to me!
    Last edited by eLhabib; 10th May 2006 at 05:54 PM.

PSN ID
    spinstartshere

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    I figured you could listen to them individually and figure out which ones were similar to you. Or don't - I'm not the boss of you.
    Oh, well in that case it really helped. When I listen to them without the other noises of the game they all sound very different. It's only when I hear them in the game that they sound different. I picked up Mines earlier today, it sounded like Plasma to me. It probably is just me.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib
    the announcer, is she spanish? listen to 'contender eliminated' or 'energy drain' for example - that definitely sounds like a spanish accent to me!
    I always figured that regardless of where she was from, the way she spoke was deliberately slightly unnatural to help mask where she was from... like the G-Man in halflife

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by lunar
    fantastic Rob, many thanks for this treat. We have Curly too. My PC will never be the same again.
    No worries - I've had them on my PC for a couple of years now. That wall slam for a critical error got old after a while, though - caused me to jump out of my skin!

yes I`m sure it must have! I fear that sound, and it will not be popping up on my PC ever. It`s the worst, most soul-destroying sound in the world, and is something no wipeout player should ever want to hear.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Woo! Nice one Foxxy, cheers.

Moral of the story: Ask lots of questions and Foxxy will share hidden junk with the community!

For what it's worth, the announcer's accent sounds Russian to me.

Default sounds

yeah she sounds russian to me too, also ive never heard the words "flame trail" before!! what is that?? is it a weapon that was never used? or have i just never noticed it for some reason?

PSN ID
    madwiperII

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    Lets see if I can help clear this up.

Go to the Downloads area of WipeoutZone

There I've added a zip file containing all of the sound effects used in Wipeout 3 Special Edition. Among my favourites "warning" and "engaged" you'll also find unused ones like "napalm".

Yes, I know it's almost six years since the game came out but we have to kind of ration this stuff or, well, we might just run out of content one day.
    wow! ive always wanted these thanks!!!!!

Talking ...bad weapon announce?!

...well its true, I've played that game almost 'bout 2000 times now...and I realy hate to say it cuz after all I'm a great W'O'' FAN...
    ...but why did they put a chicky whicky as an weapon announcer...why not the AMIGA guy of wipe'out2097?!

She's spellin' almost everythin' wrong and sometimes I can't understand what she's talkin 'bout....

its not like, that I don't like the other gender in games...but please take her out...
    specialy out of wipe'out!...

....CONTENDER ELIMINATED!

Have to say i don`t agree, but each to his own. I think the Wipeout3 announcer is very classy and stylish in keeping with the whole feel of that game.

Really such heresy...... if Drak was still here he`d be posting about villagers with pitchforks and stuff like that.