Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D-pad or stick?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

Well, I got Gradius Collection in a sales bin the other day and playing it non-stop. Awesome port. Gradius III and IV are a shmuper's heaven. Let alone Gaiden. Can't believe I'm typing right now instead of playing the game. Ah well, back on topic. What I wanted to say was, that the PSP's d-pad is unusable for Fighters or Shoot 'em up, so I use the nub for Gradius, which is extremely sensitive and needs precise movements. I fired up Pure for a change and without thinking raced with the nub. I guess I got accustomed because I didn't notice it for quite a while. Will give it a try, if I can crush some of my better times without trying too much, I will accept the nub's reign. ^^

Timezone
    GMT + 1

Quote Originally Posted by lunar View Post
    I think us nub-heads are definitely outnumbered, and in your case outgunned too. Looking at your latest Karbo Pure times - you are definitely the Mad, Bad, Pad Man from Amsterdam. Wow. Great job. That other famous d-padder from Le Havre ain`t going to like it though.
    Thanks for the compliment Lunar!! Actually I am from Heerhugowaard, it is nearby Amsterdam. But the funny thing is: if you pronounce Heerhugowaard with an English accent it will be The Mad, Bad, Pad Man from Hereyougoweird!!

And to bug the famous d-padder from Le Havre is my duty!!

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

Hereyougoweird
    well that explains alot

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Flashback_Jack

Quote Originally Posted by phl0w View Post
    well, i got gradius collection in a sales bin the other day and playing it non-stop. awesome port. gradius iii and iv are a shmuper's heaven.
    Hells yes. If you're particularly otaku, I also recommend Salamander Portable (otherwise known as "Life Force" in the Americas). Japanese-specific title though, but very much worth importing. Life Force and Gradius are virtually identical in their presentatio -- shoot enemy, power up, gain options, lasers, etc.

- F

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    phl0w

OT: Well, I usually prefer tate shmups. Gradius is pretty much the only hori shooter I would play.

Unfortunately, Gradius and Ridge Racer2 keep me a little occupied at the moment (both played with the nub), so I don't get to try out my new l33t nub 5k177z in Pure

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool

I got asked this in another thread...so - I use the dpad on the PSP, otherwise negcons all the way.
    (I should mention all my NTSC WO3 times were made with the analog stick as I didn't have a neggie at that time.)

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

I'm sure I will use the D-pad whenever i get my psp in the mailbox!

Mark Of Insanity is offline Pilot's License Suspended Rapier Pilot

Does anyone else feel that the surface of the nub is uncomfortable? It's like turning with a mini-speaker. Or something of that sort.

Timezone
    GMT -6

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Of Insanity View Post
    Does anyone else feel that the surface of the nub is uncomfortable?
    No.... It grips well....

PSN ID
    q_dmc12

I have to agree with the angryman, but I don't use the nub with wipeout

I use the Analog stick for Wipeout. I tried to use the D-Pad but it felt awkward and it was too slow. =/