Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D-pad or stick?

Default D-pad or stick?

Hi guys,

Always been a fan of WipEout but never owned a console till I got a PSP last month, i have to say that this version kicks arse!

My question, Which control method do you prefer and why?

I find that the stick lets you turn harder but its more difficult to be precise, esp on barrel rolls. So i tend to use the pad, apart from citia nuova (spelling??)

Tom

PSN ID
    madwiperII

spelling: citta nova (i think)
    and i always use the little analogue stick for everything on wipeout pure. i dont know why but it is way easier than the buttons (imo)

btw: welcome to the fourums tom

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

wellcome to the forum nifton : enjoy here

After broken my nub few months ago, i use Dpad now ( btw i broke it too on last monday , lol ) without any kind of problem if i can say that without laughing as hell : i rather prefer it for doing Barrel rolls.

PSN ID
    madwiperII

what happend when you broke your little analogue stick? did you have to send it off to be repaird or something?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    kowareta-vojeet

I play Wipeout Pure for 3 days and I'm using the D-Pad.
    The stick (what was the name for?) is a little bit too slow for the Barrel rolls or something like that.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

@ username : for my broken stick or nub and then few months later with my Dpad , i get it to the game shop i purchased it and the retailer gave me a 2nd hand's one waiting for my psp been repaired or exchanged by Sony Japan ( 1 first time with the nub they gave me a brand new one , and 2ndly i don't know for the broken Dpad if they can reapair it or not ).

PSN ID
    madwiperII

a brocken d-pad sounds fixable to me, all i think that you should have to do is remove the front panel and replace the plastic button cover. but i wouldnt try it yourself

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

if just the cover is broken that's no problem. Just pull it out. Done that a few times for cleaning my PSP

PSN ID
    madwiperII

how do you do that max? i think mine could do with a nice clean. *i wonder how many pieces of fluff i can find???*

Yea, i like the sharpness of the stick but keep making silly errors, pushin forward while turning so not getting it as sharp, practice i guess.

PS Did you know that if you've got an old analouge PSX/2 controller you can modify the the thumb stick to fit on the psp? the slot it mounts on is the same, you just need to file off the 'shoulder' on the PS2 stick. alot easy to get to if you have shovell hands like mine.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

can you post a link to a guide to that? I'm curious to see it, I find the slidy nature of the psp nub makes it unusable for me, so if a tilty analogue stick can be fitted I might be able to use it

It still doesn't tilt though just makes it alot easier to handle, can actualy hold the nub and use the shoulder without danger of firing th PSP across the room. I'll try n find the guide.

edit by Lance: redundant quote eliminated. please read the guidelines

wasn't the replacement of the nub by a PS stick covered in Asayyeah's thread about his broken PSP?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

if it's clearly that , i warn people of doing such a thing . if you change the nub by a heaviest stick you wil damage for sure very quickly the weaky mecanism which move it.

Default Ap Br

Here`s a new fact Assayeah and I have discovered about the dpad or nub issue: with the dpad it`s possible to trigger a Barrel Roll while Autopilot is engaged (let`s call it AP-BR), in the normal way. With the the nub you cannot trigger a barrel roll while AP is engaged. Advantage dpad users there.

I tested this on Chenghou, Modesto and Altima. On Chenghou the nub did seem to do an AP-BR a couple of times off the big drop, just in the last moment before the ship hit the ground, after I had been waggling the nub frantically all the way down the drop, but I believe this was the AP doing this and my commands were not doing anything. The AP certainly does do BRs by itself so I think this explains it. I have tested it enough to be satisfied I`m right - with the dpad the BR is instant, with the nub it won`t work no matter what you do as far as I can tell.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

wow, now that's interesting! that would make the last hairpin on CN a LOT faster with AP!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

great find stephen, i remembered when i use the nub in the past be able to BR instantly when an AP is engaged for instance on seb climb that's all i have in memory.

El : avoiding the last chicane on CN by an AP is something which is working great with dpad yesterday i smashed my SR race with Lunar from 2.52 to 2.41.68. But there's a similar result with a turbo at the same place : BR into the air avoiding chicane and whooooshhhh you fly like wind

d pad all the way!

I prefer racing with the analog but I find I can't barrol roll as easily with it as I do with the d-pad.

Mark Of Insanity is offline Pilot's License Suspended Rapier Pilot

Nub is smoother but I'm always afraid it'll fall off like Ben's!