Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early wipeout screens (not sure)

Question Early wipeout screens (not sure)

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I've seen a couple of screenshots from wipeout which feature a different heads up display and an unknown track and craft. Here's the link (check the first 2 images):

http://www.vidgames.com/ps/software/wipeout.html

Is it an early beta version or could this be the modded wipeout made for the movie Hackers?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

the version seen in the movie 'Hackers' was still a lot more basic than that. It wasn't even a true racing game, rather a game where you where flying and avoiding obstacles to get as far as possible on a neverending track and reach a highscore. Kinda like zone mode, actually!

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

hackers showed pieces of FMV also, and if you listen to the sounds you hear an announcer voice mention mission one...
    would be interesting to know what the original design direction was before deciding on combat racing

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think it was originally planned as an on-rails ad shooter/flying game along the lines of Panzer Dragoon.

''ad-shooter''
    [Lance displays his ignorance for all to see]: what?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

sorry, that was a weird typo. it's supposed to say '3d shooter'. (ad shooter would be a welcome addition to the coke/puma packs )

it certainly would!

maybe if i'd been more awake, i would have figured out what was meant. maybe [eyeroll] [is getting slower and dumber in his old age]

as far as I can remember, the main character of 'Hackers' wasn't even playing the game, he was just pretending to do so, while a FMV of the 'game' was displayed on the arcade screen. I don't remember exactly, but the original concept of Wipeout was that it would be a shoot'em up game (the design of crafts resembled jets, hence rockets and other weapons). I sure don't remember why it all turned out to be a racing game tho. I'd have to dig deep in the forums to check that out. And about the screens - you must have noticed the shading of the track. Look at different sides of the track, one is brither than the other one, it makes a cool effect, which was absent in Wipeout. I think it's just a matter of different textures (*same with Gran Turismo - PSX), but still, looks awesome!

Timezone
    GMT -5

Quote Originally Posted by eLhabib
    I think it was originally planned as an on-rails ad shooter/flying game
    You get bonus points for your stray rockets that take out the advertizing panels along the track?

lol we need that mode for the coke pack tracks in pure dont we?

i watched Hackers for the first time either early this year or late last year. if i recall correctly, the first time we see the game, our hero's future gf is actually playing the game, after which he shows off by playing it and beating her high score. [points for destruction by shooting]. the gamers/fans surrounding them stand in awe and admiration.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

exactly. note that he is using a control device consisting of 2 flight sticks, and moving them in such a cheesy way that I am pretty sure the actual game sequence was just a movie recorded by some of the psygnosis guys

it was just an FMV, unfortunately, but in the story, the characters are supposed to be playing an actual game. too bad they're not convincing!

Lee Carus made the FMV, IIRC. [yikes, lots of caps.]

Timezone
    GMT -5

Yeah, when you see characters playing videogames in movies and on television, their moves rarely fits the patterns that a real player would use, especially when you see them play games like DDR and the like. And don't even get me started on "The Wizard" where the kid is playing NES console games in arcades where they were never released!

ha! my bad! It's just the thing, that i remembered the FMV sequence the most. And if there was something like 'real' Wipeout in 'Hackers', then one thing that's left for me to perform is a 'HMMMMMMM.....' (with one eyebrow raised, holding my chin)

the FMV was the best thing in the movie; everything else was forgettable

that AND Angelina Jolie's ......

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I was just gonna say that

lol
    uh... see... i'm gay, so that did not even occur to me. sorry about that.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

and I take it that dade in the red latex dream sequence wasn't your thing either?

I love that movie...
    Hack the planet!!!