Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2097 vs XL on modded PAL Playstation

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Default 2097 vs XL on modded PAL Playstation

OK. I have now played through Wipeout XL on my modded PAL Playstation.
    It is definetely much easier.
    Once I completed the Piranha Challenge I took the Piranha for a spin in TT.
    The times I managed are way faster than my previous best 2097 times.
    eg
    Talons Reach TT Rapier:
    2097 1:19.5 / 19.4
    XL 1:14.4 / 17.3
    Talons Reach TT Phantom:
    2097 1:35.9 / 18.1
    XL 1:30.4 / 16.6

Can anyone explain this huge difference, I went back to 2097 to see If I could beat my times, I couldn't.
    So It wasn't that I had just gotten better.

PSN ID
    elementfortytwo

In 2097 you bounce around more so you're probably bottoming out after the bumps - that loses a great deal of speed.

XL is a faster game. ON talons, as long as you know the brake tapping technique, the times are pretty close, on sagarmatha, maybe 2 seconds difference. on the rest of the tracks, there is around a 5-8 second difference if you race both games perfectly(note:2097 is harder to race perfectly because of the brake tapping off of the pads and more pitch control issues).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Among the french wipers friends i have , all of them have beaten their previous 2097' records quite immediately.
    That was my case too.

Xl is also faster in term of thrust , i mean less time to reach highest speed that's one of the reasons why lap1 is also faster.

I suppose 340 XL kph equalls to 400 / 420 kph from 2097.
    2097 resets at 490 kph ( you go down immediately to 390) but i ve reached 466 on Vostok's cuts that could equall an hypothetic 530 kph on 2097 .

XL is really faster than 2097 but which is Weird :The speed sensation ( feeling) is less impresive in XL even if you make faster time than 2097.
    I made that test too : i have the same speed feeling with a 14.6 XL talon's laptime than a 15.0 -- 2097's one . Odd but true

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Thanks everyone.
    I was worried it was something to do with the PAL 25 frames / 50 fields vs NTSC 30 frames / 60 fields.
    I agree with Old asayyeah the sensation of speed in XL is less than it is in 2097.
    It is extremely satisfying seeing your times drop by so much, even if it is a different version of the game.
    On the other hand it is a real bummer going back to 2097 and not being able to get even close to your XL times.
    I will post some XL Phantom Piranha times up at some stage.
    (yes Lance I will leave the other classes for the Gentlemens Non Pirahna League)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

Hi jonathon
    wellcome to one of the craziest but funniest competition : " the fastest with the fastest " Yeah 'pirahna + Phantom' = the adrenaline coacktail.

You could add into your table's profile if you use a Neggie or a normal Dpad ( point your mouse onto the real names into the tables and you will see that most of us add the controller they use )

You need a sub 16.1 to enter top 10 on XL TT talon's phantom, you can do it !!
    Gooooooo :

Timezone
    GMT + 12

My full name in the tables is Jonathon Skipper.
    Some of my higher placing times are on 2097 Sagar-Matha TT.
    Been a NeGcon user for a number of years.
    That 16.1 in XL Talons Reach TT to get in to the top 10 is a good time to aim for.
    I don't know about making top 10 in 2097 Talons Reach TT,
    my 18.1 took alot of practice, and I haven't got close to it lately.
    However I have been experimenting with the brake tap technique,
    we'll see what diffference that makes.

I just happily acquired a copy of XL, and I was wondering this: are XL times considered officially legal if achieved on a modded Pal playstation? Should they be considered legal? I`m not sure we`ve ever definitively cleared this up. Not that I`m going to top any tables, but I would like to know whether there`s any point entering times.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

LOL!!

I have the original version here but as far as I know there is a couple french peeps have been using the thingy.

stevie

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I got a version of 2097 a few weeks back (for £2.97 heh) and I have to say I found it very easy to finish and clock some decent times (some TT ones entered in tables) on; if you say XL bottoms out less than 2097 it must be boring as hell, TR in 2097's a fight against pitch shifting just to add a little spice, still enjoying it tho Anyway my point here is, that if XL is that much faster than 2097, is not a faster TR lap record time possible? Bet Arnaud could clock a 13.9 given long enough, sure Al said they were close, but... :/
    Last edited by Dimension; 8th December 2005 at 12:40 PM.

grrrrrr I see I`m no longer UK record holder for TR Phantom laps.

Going to have to do something about that, but I can`t stop playing Pure atm. Glad you have finally seen the light and are playing the greatest wipeout ever (imho) with the best controller. I think you could go after some of Arnaud`s times - you can do it - do it for your country!!!!!

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

LOL, sorry Lunar, didn't mean to undermine your authoritah'

13.9 IS NOT POSSIBLE ON TALONS. The reason is that it is easy to keep piranha over 440 kph the entire track, as opposed to other tracks where you need to use brakes alot to make turns. That is why talon's is close(especially on Single race). The only reason it is not right on is because the first lap on TT it takes a while to get up to speed

PSN ID
    madwiperII

i like going on phantom in talons reach too, although i must admit that my driving skills are a little rought i still manage to go fast enough to catch up with one of my own missiles i fired! lol

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Alright Al, guess it makes sense when you put it like that, cheers anyway

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Oh man... lunar... took you up on trying to break into the faster record tyimes, spent all of last night hammering TR (and clocking an untold number of clone PBs, 15.2/.3/.4s,) and still I couldn't beat my 15.1 (which is kinda disturbing me,) so now running on 3hrs sleep, I can still feel the ache in my left hand... couldn't even do better than all out drawn for 2nd race time either *sigh* "Wonker's cramp is hell!"

It`s a great time though - congrats. Not sure how you`re doing it, obviously, but are you using brake tapping? Have you seen Arnaud`s video? It`s great to find out the best line, though building up the speed he does is another matter. When I`m practiced, I can go round and round and round TR pretty quick without hitting anything, but can never get anywhere near his speeds.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I lost all the videos I got from that french bloke's FTP when my HD crashed a few months back, shame as I could do to twok his tactic, as I'm kinda struggling to adapt to the "smooth only" style of piloting in 2097 (W3O is much more balanced in style so being particularly heavy handed can work well there.) Anyway, I'll take it as it comes, still kinda dissapointed to have not got into the sub 15s after owning/having the game for nearly 2 months.

*Edit* On the subject of videos I just took a gander at Mano's TR race with a 14.9 in it and I can tell big difference Kph wise between XL & 2097, don't think mano ever broke 400, whereas me clocking 430 round the final flip-flop (the one with the pot-hole from banking in it) has yet to get me a time that good, wierd. *smilies not working - li3k grr!*
    Last edited by Dimension; 15th December 2005 at 11:45 AM.

click here to download the race record video. The other amazing thing is how he gets up to max speed so fast. It takes me a lap and a bit to really wind the ship up.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Cheers Lunar, but I don't have the codec for that video, no probs as I cut under 15 secs now [14.8] and upped my race time half a second too, still much to be done but the quality british *BEEF* has been put in the french toast sandwich, Yum! Kitchen raiding time Now I can concentrate on making something for the fan pack ideas. Shouts to Mano for his words in the piloting tips thread, brought the penultimate turbo pad into play for me, cheers m8

*EDIT 2005/20/12* K so i saw Arnaud's video when I got the right codec, but (and i might have been imagining this,) there's something i'm puzzled about; I noticed on the first lap of the race, after the second turbo pad of the track, going uphill, Arnaud continued to accelerate beyond 344/347 and while the speed, once maxed out, at the top of the hill was no greater than for I, the extra acceleration would surely save time if the details could be kindly spilled by anyone that knows of this phenomena. Cheers, beers and sub 15.0s
    Last edited by Dimension; 20th December 2005 at 10:02 AM.