Thread: Challenge II experiences?

Default Challenge II experiences?

OK. So I been working on Challenge II lately. I got a little further this time: instead of passing 2 or 3 tracks, I passed 4. So I guess I beat half the 'challenge', eh? I notice this fifth track appears to be a bit easier than #4 (Venom 2?) track-wise, but by the time I got there, I wa son my last life & lost due to yet another explosion. (I must suck at this game if I haven't gotten a perfect lap in Phantom speed (or even Rapier!) after 2 years.)

Anyone want to share their Challenge I or II experiences? Plus, how is it to race with the reward for beating II: Pirhana?

you'll probably find that the hardest track to beat is Odessa Keys; if you can get past that one, the remaining tracks will be pretty easy. just practice on OK independently, outside of Challenge II; you'll start beating it consistently and then the challenge will be easy to get through.

even though i've won Piranha, i don't race with it much; it just isn't as much fun as Qirex

Yes. I heard Pirhana has no weapons but maxed-out everything else? I've used Qirex (only to crash at 90 % of turns!) and can see where you mean by the fun. Like when you fire a rocket and you pass by it at double its speed! If I want fast, I typically use Auricom in XL (NTSC: US/CA).

Quote Originally Posted by Lance
    you'll probably find that the hardest track to beat is Odessa Keys; if you can get past that one, the remaining tracks will be pretty easy. just practice on OK independently, outside of Challenge II; you'll start beating it consistently and then the challenge will be easy to get through.

even though i've won Piranha, i don't race with it much; it just isn't as much fun as Qirex
    That's #6, right? I know #7 is Vostock Island (!) and #8 is a one I forget how to spell, but begins with an 'S'.

Timezone
    GMT + 12

Check this thread in the Arena for the Challenge II track listing,
    and for an idea of what sort of times you can aim for once the Challenge is complete.
    Note: The times in this thread are done without using the Piranha.

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2390

Good luck with Odessa Keys, as Lance said, once you have beaten that track,
    the last 2 won't seem so bad.
    I would also recommend AG Systems or Auricom as suitable craft.
    Mastering Qirex is the final challenge in the game once you have done every thing else.

Default Re: Challenge II experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by adam917
    Plus, how is it to race with the reward for beating II: Pirhana?
    The greatest thing in the world. Unfortunately the AI doesn't improve the contenders against your piranha, so you may be in 1st from the beginning - but after a time of practicing, when you master this speed machine it's the pure ecstacy.
    Quirex is great too, but Piranha is the ultimate speed rush.

Default Re: Challenge II experiences?

About how fast are we talkin' on a long straight-away: 300 km/h? 400?

I don't remember, it's a time ago. but it felt MUCH FASTER than the onboard cam of F1, which is 300 +.

on Talon's Reach, it is 400+ for the guys who are really good at it. they can keep the + going for quite a while

Spiffy. I'd like to see some videos of this. (Or maybe do it myself, as I now have Pirhana from finishing Challenge II.)

I think that speedometer is under-representing the speed. Even 250 km/h doesn't feel the kind in F1 racing, as that's pretty slow for F1/Indy 500. It feels more like 400 km/h by end of Venom, 500 km/h in Rapier, and higher at Phantom (perhaps 750 km/h, as Phantom is 50 % faster than Rapier?).

Did you see that?

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/downloads.php
    => ingame video Talon's Reach

impressive!

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Adam, you're clicking on "quote" when you should be clicking on "reply". A bad habit you picked up somewhere I would imagine.

I'm not sure how many of your posts I've fixed, but I'm having trouble counting all the instances on one hand if you get my drift. 8 )

I sent you a PM about it, you can check your messages with the link between "Profile" and "Log out" on the top-right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Task
    Adam, you're clicking on "quote" when you should be clicking on "reply". A bad habit you picked up somewhere I would imagine.
    OK. This time, I'm really quoting you. The reaon I end up hitting 'Quote' most of the time is because when I reply to a thread I may click quote to reply to one person, but may end up ultimately replying to the whole thread in practise. Sorry if that is a problem on here.

i also deleted or reduced quotes in at least 3 or 4 of your posts in addition to the ones that Task did. quotation is almost completely unnecessary. almost.

the ones most to avoid are the ones which quote someone else quoting oneself quoting someone else.
    really, i've seen that sort of thing several times. agh
    paraphrasing usually works better than quoting.

but back to the topic, if you haven't watched that video of our fellow member, Mano, racing on Talon's Reach, you just haven't lived yet. great stuff. he's beaten that record more than once since the video was made. so have Arnaud and Al. yikes. wish i could do that.

I just saw the Talon's Ranch video and it's awesome! I'd like to see this done with other tracks the final four.

Reach.

And the 8th track is SPIL SKIN AN KE.

Sorry if I sound like an ass. >_>

oh, come on now, give him a bit of slack. even i, yes, i swear it's true, occasionally make a mistake. [but i always spell 'separate' correctly. ]

Timezone
    GMT -5

Just watched the Talon's Reach time trial clip. WOW. I'm seriously impressed.

Anybody should be impressed. FAST. (own...age...)