Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: XLink Kai

AZN means Asian. And in case you're also not too keen on the gaming ability of the common Asian, it's off the charts.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Is anyone using a PCI wireless network card to connect their PSP to Kai? I'm looking into getting one in the next week or so and I need to find one that works.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

there's a list of supported cards on the xlink forums
    http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11469

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Hmm... looks like the only one I can find anywhere is the Netgear one, and I've heard they're problematic. Okay, thanks for that.

Don't know if the extra confirmation helps anyone, but I'm using pretty much the same setup as Defor (Mac Mini, Powerbook, and Kai), and the steps he describes work perfectly for me. It's been allowing me to play Ridge Racers and Tony Hawk's Underground 2 as well as Pure...

If anyone comes across a player called poprock on there, that's me.

If all you have is a Linksys router, then you are in LUCK!

Here's what you do:

1. Download XLink and get everything installed.

2.Download the firmware for your router (remember, this only works on Linksys and Buffalo routers.)

3. Enable boot_wait mode on your router.
    3a. Go to http://192.168.1.1/
    3b. In the message box that pops up, enter "admin" as the password. The username can be anything, but to be safe, also make it "admin".
    3c. Once the page pops up, click on Administration.
    3d. Then click on Diagnostics.
    3e. Then click on Ping (or just go to http://192.168.1.1/Ping.asp ).
    3f. Enter each of these lines into the "IP address or domain name" text box, and hit "ping" after each entry:

;cp${IFS}*/*/nvram${IFS}/tmp/n
    ;*/n${IFS}set${IFS}boot_wait=on
    ;*/n${IFS}commit
    ;*/n${IFS}show>tmp/ping.log

After the last command, a long list of configuration parameters is shown, and it should include:

boot_wait=on

4. Install the firmware.
    4a. Return to the http://192.168.1.1/ page.
    4b. Click on Adminisration.
    4c. Click on Firmware Upgrade.
    4d. Find the file that you downloaded in step 3, and let it go.

5. Restart your router and log back into it (192.168.1.1).

6. Disable the Xlink Kai engine on Windows.
    6a. Go to the programs folder in your computer.
    6b. Open the Xlink Kai folder.
    6c. Double click the Kai Config tool.
    6d. Uncheck the box that says "Start Engine".

7. Configure your router for your game consoles.
    7a. Return to http://192.168.1.1/
    7b. Click on Administration.
    7c. Enter your XLink username and password in the appropriate text boxes so that it automatically logs you in whenver you start Kai.
    7d. For the "Interface" text box:
    If your router is a Linksys WRT54G v1.0 & v1.1:
    i. Enter "br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
    ii. Enter "eth2" if you only have a PSP
    If your router is a Linksys WRT54G v2.0 & v2.2:
    i. Enter " br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
    ii. Enter "eth1" if you only have a PSP
    If your router is a Buffalo WBR-G54:
    i. Enter " br0" if you have an Xbox & a PSP
    ii. Enter "eth2" if you only have a PSP

8. Make sure your PSP's ad hoc channel is set to "Ch 1".

9. Go to http://192.168.1.1 -> Administration -> Kaid. Bookmark the page.

OK. That's all of the stuff you only need to do once. Now here's how you actually get in a game:

1. Go to the Kaid page.
    2. Click "Start Kaid". The Kaid Status should change from "STOPPED" to "RUNNING".
    3. Start the XLink Kai UI (It's in the XLink programs folder. It'd be best to make a shortcut for your desktop.) It should automatically log you in.
    4. Find the Wipeout Pure room (or whatever game you're trying to play).
    5. Start Wipeout Pure on your PSP, go to Multiplayer mode, and enter your initials. Now the green WiFi light on the left side of your PSP should be on.
    6. On the Kaid page, click "Scan PSP". This should change the Wireless Mode from "AP" to "PSP", then change your Current SSID from "linksys" (or whatever your network name is) to "PSP_92H09832", or something like that. If it says "PSP_NOT_FOUND", you screwed up.
    7. If one or more people are in the Pure room with you, decide who is going to host the race/tournament. If you're hosting, select Create Single Race or Create Tournament on your PSP, set all of the settings (track, speed, number of players, etc.) until you get to a screen that only has your initials and ship on the left, and a picture of the track/tournament on the right. At this point, whoever wants to join the race should do so by selceting Join Game from the Multiplayer menu. If successful, whoever got into your race will have their initials and ship appear directly underneath yours. Hit X once everyone is ready. Wait for the PSPs to finish synchronizing, then the race will start loading as normal.
    8. When you're ready to exit XLink, go to the Kaid page and click "AP Mode" and "Stop Kaid". Clicking "AP Mode" is important so that your other wireless devices can acess the internet.

That should do it. Email me at warhawk256@charter.net if you have any problems.

Very helpful post - I hope someone finds it useful.

I`m thinking of going down the usb adaptor route for Kai, and I found this guide:

http://www.pspcrazy.com/wifihack.htm

An adaptor is cheaper than a router, and I can also send it back if I come a cropper due to my ignorance of these sort of things, or if I can`t get past the network that provides my internet access. Wish me luck: I`m going to need a generous amount of it, I think. 8O

WiFi card setups are a great deal more complicated, actually. They look a little something like this:

Though that's the only solution for people without Linksys routers.

They have this exact same tutorial at XLink in a bit more simpler terms.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Lunar: Great link, I'll have to remember that. I'm going to be using a physical net connection and a PCI wireless adapter to connect the PSP, so the same steps should be applicable.

yay - I finally got it working on the PC and played online!!

I`m going to say how I did it because it was a bit of a minefield and it might help someone. I was on the verge of giving up when it worked. If at first you don`t succeed etc

first of all I used a dwl 122 to connect the psp to the pc and then to my internet connection. I followed the KAI PSP guide exactly and got it to pass all the diagnostics and see the PSP. I still couldn`t see any games though, and my signal strength on the usb adapter was low, and connection speed only 2mps, so this is where the "fun" started.
    A lot of fiddling around ensued, but the possibly crucial points are:

I unchecked "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" so that I could use the utilities of the usb adapter, and then connected the PSP to the PC and Kai with the dwl 122 utilities instead. Kai could still see my PSP, and this got my USB - PSP signal strength up to about 80% and speed to 11 mps.

Always put your psp on adhoc channel 1.

And it works.

I would reccomend anyone stick to KAI instructions exactly though - and make absolutely sure its not working with those - before tinkering around. Remember if you can`t connect to a game the problem could be the other person not you. Try to find someone who you are sure is experienced and has played on kai a lot in the past.

btw they were excellent close races, but I got lucky with weapons, and now have a won 7 lost 1 online record - expect this win/loss record is going to get a lot more even though eventually, or sooner. :roll:
    Last edited by lunar; 7th April 2006 at 07:37 PM. Reason: misleading information corrected

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

thank you very much for this post! I was thinking about which wireless device to get, and dwl 122 was one of my choices (and the cheapest one). Now, that you reported it to work, I am gonna get that one today. See you on Kai!

see you there :wink:

if you think you might need any advice let me know - but I`m still a bit of a "bodger" when it comes to this sort of thing. the instructions in the dwl122 manual are very useful for getting the wireless network going on that.

one word of warning - I couldn`t install the dwl 122 on one of the PCs I have access to. This might have been because I plugged it into the usb before installing the drivers, and this screwed things up - or it might be an old/faulty usb port. I successfully and easily installed it on a couple of other computers when following the instructions though. ( Lesson: RTFM). You`ll probably be okay - good luck.

another thing - the IP settings you put into windows network connections need to be put into dwl utilities also if you connect through that. Make sure it is set to ad hoc. I left "profile IP settings" on disable.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

got it installed properly (with manual ) and had the same problem you mentioned when having it configured through windows - weak connection. But when I use the firmware program to connect, Kai can't find it... need to fiddle with that.

whaddaya mean with that dwl stuff?
    are you gonna be on Kai this evening?

You need to select "computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only" in the DWL program too, and tick "automatically connect to non-preferred networks." I can`t get onto it right now (at work), but if I remember right you go to "site survey" on the DWL program, select your connection to the PSP, then "configure." Make sure its on adhoc and not encrypted. Then click OK. Then you select the connection in the next panel below and use properties or advanced to tick the right boxes. But maybe you did all that anyway..... See pages 6 and 7 of the dwl 122 manual.

That might not help much..... I`ll get on my own computer later and load the program so I can see what my settings are and go on Kai. I`m at work now so can`t really go on, unless I can come up with a justification for why doing that could be called "work." :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I think that helps, thanks!

If you could be online with Kai somewhere between 19:30 and 24:00 GMT this evening, that would be great. and maybe we can even get some race action going.

cheers

yeah I`ll come onto kai somewhere in that time. best thing might be to make a new private arena in Wipeout Pure and work on your connection in there with chat, so I can tell you my settings easily, if you aren`t already in business by then. Hopefully we`ll get a race going..... though I feel like a turkey voting for christmas saying that :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

would be cool if you post a time when you are gonna be there tonight, I don't wanna check Kai all evening long.

9.30 GMT. My X-Tag is TerminalVelocity (you`ll see why if we get a game going.) :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

sure

I'll be there.

Timezone
    GMT -5

First off, here's a link to the setup pic eLhabib created:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...forDWL-122.jpg

Second, here's something I figured which made my connection horribly unstable until I fixed it:

When my DWL-122 tries to scan for available connections, it finds TWO ad hoc connections from my PSP

PSP_AUCUS98612_L_ (unencrypted)
    and
    PSP_AUCU98612_L_ (WEP encrypted)

by default, my adapter always tried to connect to the ENCRYPTED one, thus ensuring my connection would be unreliable all the time. I had to scan the unencrypted network and manually configure it, then REMOVE the encrypted network from the list of preferred networks.

It's been running like a dream since!!!