Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone Mode - Why is the camera so different?

Default Zone Mode - Why is the camera so different?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this - the camera in Zone Mode seems to work quite differently to the camera in the other modes. It is closer for a start but, more than that, it seems rooted more to the ship. Am I right about that?

I'm curious - anyone have any guesses as to why a different camera would be used in Zone?

PRESS SELECT!!!

Heh, I know I can change the view with select! The behaviour of the camera is still different. Compare them yourself and see what you think,

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

Tighter, do you mean? I've only seen the IGN video of Zone mode and I think I know what you mean. The camera doesn't seem as loose as a normal race.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I have noticed this, too. The camera seems to be more fixed in zone mode. I'm sure this is on purpose, because in zone mode you can get on speeds way faster than in the other modes, so it probably caused some problems with a looser camera, clipping through walls on tight corners or whatever.

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

I dunno how you guys can even use chase-cam
    I haven't noticed any difference in the cockpit camera in zone mode...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I know the real pros fly on cockpit view, but I adore the ships so much that I stick to chase-cam where I can see them

i think Al and Mano use external view, though Arnaud uses internal

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

anyone use the far chase-cam on purE? I wouldn't think so...

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I do.

Or at least I've been using it since I've been using Auricom, as the far chase cam makes the ship appear narrower and it's easier for me to judge the turn in. Don't know why, I imagine it's more an optical illusion than anything.

I couldn't use anything else BUT the chase cam, close or far, how folk use the internal cam is beyond me

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Yeah, the chase cam is more stable and gives you a view of what's around you. I've been using it since Wipeout 1, and can't change now.

yeah I've used chase cam since the beginning - mostly because of the distortion you seemed to get in the early games when the entire screen rotates.

Pure doesnt have that problem but I still mostly use chase. I find myself using internal-view for the slower classes though. In my opinion it's harder to play internally and I used to respect my older brother's decision to use it in spite of his inferior piloting.

I wonder if he's reading this :
    Hurry up and buy your PSP maggot!

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

The only thing I use is the internal view. It makes me feel closer to the game, and as if I were really a pilot. :wink: It also gives me more of a rush, it was a need in fusion. Otherwise I would of broke it out of hate.

If they had kept cockpit view in Pure I would've used it. That was pretty cool. They shoulda done a virtual cockpit, with the tach/speedometer built into the dash or something.

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I get motion sick using "bumpercam" in the w'o" games. have to use chasecam, but all other driving games I prefer to either use bumpercam or have only the bonnet in front of me

Quote Originally Posted by djlucite
    If they had kept cockpit view in Pure I would've used it. That was pretty cool. They shoulda done a virtual cockpit, with the tach/speedometer built into the dash or something.
    Karl and I worked on the idea --- but time is the enemy with a launch game.

Wouldn't that have decimated the frame rate in racing mode with the extra detail needed to sustain it?

Mmm . . . polygon-wise, it wouldn't have been a bigger hit than the ship model itself. Remember, in WO3, you only saw the cockpit interior, not the "prongs" or the nose-cone.

However, large polygons which take up a lot of screenspace can be a ba-a-a-d thing.

The camera's totally different in pure than in the previous wipeouts as well...I kinda miss the oldschool chase cam. It allowed the ship to move around the screen a lot more than it does now...it seems fixed in the center position, and the camera's fixed to the ship, or something, whereas WOXL felt a lot more fluid and freeform. Example: When your ship gets closer to the left edge of the track, it also moves towards the left edge of your screen. It felt floatier than the Pure's camera.