Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Analog or d-pad?

Timezone
    GMT -8

Default Analog or d-pad?

I found that the analog stick was very difficult to use due to ergonomic constraints, so I myself use the d-pad. It seems to work pretty well, but slow turns are obviously annoying.

Is there any way this can be made into a poll? I'm really curious to see what everyone uses.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I just plain LOVE the analog nub on the PSP. It feels as if it was made for this game. It's much better than the dualshock's analog sticks, too.

we tend to disallow polls because they tend to cover questions that have already been done to death, and there tend to be too many of them and often pointless as they were on the old official Fusion board. we don't want the WZ to eVer resemble the old Fusion board. worst forums i ever saw.

I still havent fully decided but Im leaning towards Analogue because its nicer to use. The onyl problem I have with analogue is that it seems difficult to pull off the barrel-roll. This may be true of the D-pad too though...

D-Pad for LIFE.

If you were there since day one on PSOne, and you hated Fusion, you love the d-pad.

Hazaaaa.

I felt right at home with the dpad, I haven't given the nub much of a chance

i've just acquired all the old wipeouts (i know, i know) and i play them all an analog, same goes for the PSP i love the analog stick, so much sweeter than the d-pad.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

OFF TOPIC:
    What do you mean you know, you know? What, that you just got the old Wipeouts? If so, hell, I only got fusion at the moment!!! U lucky ducky!! I finished Wipeout 1 and 3, and never played 2097, xl (xl is shipping to me at the moment), or pure. One thing I would love to do is complete all in order one right after the other without playing any games in between or taking any such breaks. This is one of my goals for the future, and if that means re-complete fusion, I guess that's included. :wink: DAMN!! :
    ON TOPIC:
    I had used the D-pad, and thought that it was the king's choice, until I began using analogue for fusion (for a more realistic feel), so at the moment, I only use analogue. :wink: It's hard to switch between the two, you can't just switch around each race, it's like re-teaching yourself how to ride a bike all over again!! :x Causes stress and stiff fingers, just like first playing the first version for the first time all over again. :

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

I always used the analogue in W3SE.. the dpad just didn't feel right. Now with Pure, I started out using the dpad cause the analgoue felt a bit weird... but I've been giving the analogue some time now and I'm getting used to it.

I tihnk I'll end up preferring the analogue in the long run, but I currently still have more control with the dpad (just a time-spent-practicing issue, I'm sure).

I have noticed barrel rolls are a bit harder with the analogue, but I think that is because I'm being sloppier with my input and end up rolling through down instead of doing a clean l,r,l. I have also noticed it is a bit harder to keep straight while changing pitch using analogue, but that is for the same reason.. I'm hitting down-right or down-left instead of straight down. Again, just a practice issue..

i figured i might catch a little flak for only just being able to play the old games. but i am stoked about having them all, and all the games rock.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

Quote Originally Posted by TMoney
    D-Pad for LIFE.

If you were there since day one on PSOne, and you hated Fusion, you love the d-pad.

Hazaaaa.
    well I have been there since day one, and I have quite much hated Fusion, but YES, I still play analog :wink:

Meh.

I tried out Analog at the beginning because the slight differences in handling made me thing the d-pad was no longer 'the way'...

Then after being stuck on some flash class races... I got peeved and switched back - then BAM. The easy road to clearing the game completely.

Hey I'm not saying you guys shouldn't use analog. I'm just saying you're wrong

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Even though I don't get along with analoge sticks, I love the one from PSP. The D-Pad doesn't even come close to match the precision in control the knob gives you, so I used analog from second one.

Ben

Analog (for the moment), it seems to control a tad tighter in the corners than the d-pad. Just too bad it rather akward to use, Sony/Namco needs to release a mini-Negcon for the PSP :wink: , that would be sweet.

As for the rest of the PSP (and Pure) so far so good for only having the system for less than a day.

D-Pad all the way. I can't get my hands properly used to holding the PSP using the analogue nub - unless I limit airbraking to the right trigger. Which doesn't feel right.

Either my hands are too big, or the nub is too low. In any case, I find the D-pad to be more accurate and precise.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

D-pad for me, too.
    I have tried loads of different forms of analog, including the nub on the psp. The dpad just feels more controllable, therefore better.

And yes, playing on the PSp hurts my hands too. If they made a PSP in the shape of a PSpad, just with a huge screen in the middle, it would be a lot more ergonomic. But I bet some bright spark over in j-land already has two clip-on handles for the PSP to make it look like a pad, so I'll leave it there.

Timezone
    GMT -8

Fair enough about the no-polls thing.

In order to get the right movement on the stick (and still use the triggers), I have to cock back the first knuckle of my thumb to get the end of my thumb on it. Perhaps my hands are too big and my thumb overshoots it? I dunno. Actually I think it's because I prefer to have my thumb located directly downward from the stick, rather than off the side, which is what's required for holding it comfortably on the PSP (enter the riding a bike all over again statement I guess). Well, the dpad works fine for me now, maybe later on down the road I can teach myself the other way.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster2097
    If they made a PSP in the shape of a PSpad, just with a huge screen in the middle, it would be a lot more ergonomic. But I bet some bright spark over in j-land already has two clip-on handles for the PSP to make it look like a pad, so I'll leave it there.
    That's some really good thinkn'!! 8O They should have handle's for the PSP!! And then, just mabye, they could think up of some kind of rumble-pack technology, but your probably right, they probably already are starting on something like that. :roll:

if you think they're having battery-life problems now, just wait till you try to run a rumblepack from the battery. think beyond the first impulse. and the second.

Would be better to have an extra battery on those handles...

Rumble on handhelds, dont know if its worth it, first its not like in a console, the rumble will rumble the entire thing, screen etc, bit harder to control (and ergonomics isnt the strong point of psp) i imagine it would be a bit uncomfortable to view since the screen would be rumbling too.

Apart from the drainig more juice due to the rumble itself, it would drain even more since it has a laser reader, the movement will make it harder to for the machine to read (apart that this could cause read errors), using more error correction, skip correction/protection etc, which means more battery consumption, etc.

imo not even the handles are worth it unless you plan using them only at home, making a portable device less portable defeats one of its key features.