Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Downloadable content

Default Downloadable content

Theres alot of chat about handling, floatiness etc.

Wouldn't it be great if Studio Liverpool released some downloads of the existing tracks with the physics constants modified!

I've read the discussion on poly count restrictions etc, but with downloadable content things like this can be over looked!

I can't wait till someone get their hands on a wipeout pure track download and mods it out! That is going to be a sweet moment, guys ever any chance of seeing a track editor?

polygon count restrictions are based on what the processors can handle, not on the capacity of the UMD. you can't download a more powerful graphics chip.

i do wonder, though, if someday, one could use plug-in replacements for processors, so the same case and display screen could continue to be used. better yet, how about modular everything?

The problem with that is that there would be no consistency in terms of who had what hardware. That would lead to bugs, crashes, constant upgrading, the need for patching etc. That's what having a PC is all about but the great thing about consoles is that they are fixed. There are no variables that can be missed by developers.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Cell chips are modular. Cell powered PSP2, maybe!?

DT, very true. good point

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Didn't the SNES/SuperFamicon get some games that came with a special FX chip on the cartridge? Plus, there is some sort of graphic enhancer add-on for the N64, though I'm not entirely sure where you'd have to plug this. ;) So in theory it is something you can do, even though Dogg Thang got a point. But then this sort of enhancement capability wouldn't even remotely mimic the variance among "the" modern-day PC.

Ben

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Wasn't that an expandable memory chip for game saves and stuff? They had a similar contraption for the sega genesis / mega drive games.

At least with only one set of PSP hardware parameters, it makes making the games a whole lot more easier.

Default Re: Downloadable content

Quote Originally Posted by yuriksan
    Wouldn't it be great if Studio Liverpool released some downloads of the existing tracks with the physics constants modified!
    I've actually said for a long time that with all the stupid little hidden cheats in games, the most fun (at least with racing games) would be ones that tweak the physics in different ways. Seems like it would be a pretty simple thing to do, especially compared to BIG HEAD MODE!

PSN ID
    The_Boye

Is there anyway a future download could incorporate the option to have your own soundtrack to play along to? Pure does have some choice choonz but there are a few that aren't really wipEout. Just think if you could have all the previous classics available as a custom playlist.

Well if they are planning to release extra tunes for download in the coming months, then they are going to have to have a music folder on the psp's memory card. it should just be a simple case of dropping your own mp3/ATRAC tunes into this folder for playing. If the devs can add custom music to the game, then we definitely will be able to.

Well it could be encoded in such a way that the average user won't be able to access it.

Tru, it could be encoded audio of somekind.

Default Polygon count,

Sorry, I should have clarified.

I read in another topic that the developers had to tweak the handling to prevent players flying off the track, and seeing areas they shouldn't, areas with no content.
    The ability to ride up the walls was also restricted by polygon count...

Now the games been released we could see some more "rough" tracks, hey would we complain about the odd glitch in a track to have back the shortcut fun of 2097/XL!

I'm not suggesting that they would be able to somehow improve the game enigine or anything, just provide us with some physics tweaks.

The idea of a track editor, oh man...

PSN ID
    AG-Spike

Taken form Gamesradar.com:

Wipeout download details

[04/04/05 09:38]
    Studio Liverpool's futuristic racer leads the way for downloadable PSP content

After a recent visit to Sony's Studio Liverpool we can exclusively reveal solid details regarding the downloadable content of its PSP game, Wipeout Pure.

The studio's communications manager Nino Ceraolo confirmed that the additional materials will be available in downloadable packs and will initially provide players with 12 extra tracks and four ships, as well as new team and front-end skins.

Emphasising the benefits to players, Ceraolo points to the fact that, "When the packs are downloaded, they'll integrate into the game to make new tournaments" - something that should ensure players are engaged long after the twists and turns of the principle courses have been tamed.

Of the 12 new tracks, four will be full environments that were possible contenders for the main game, but were eventually earmarked for download. Another four will be tracks taken from the previous games and given a Pure makeover, while the remaining courses will be a mixture of more minimal, abstract affairs.

All downloadable content will be available from the game's website, and the process of shifting it on to your PSP should be simple enough, using either a USB cable or by connecting to a wireless LAN (local area network) from the in-game browser.

The website will also provide more incidental content for download, such as extra music tracks and billboard designs.

A music mixer will also be featured on the site and will grant players the opportunity to remix all of the in-game music tracks. Once players are happy with their tweaking and twiddling, they will be able to download their efforts.

While most of the downloadable content is finished, Sony is currently in the process of figuring out the best way of releasing it, because, as Ceraolo explains, "We want to make sure all downloadable content isn't already out in Japan and America before the European launch."

When we raise the subject of a 'contents for cash' price structure, Ceraolo is, at least with regards to the short-term strategy, assured in his response. "We want to get people to use the extra content, so for the first six months I can't see there being any paid-for content - it's not something we want to do."

And, yes, downloading all the initial packs will definitely fill up the 32MB memory stick provided with PSP, so you'll either have to store downloadable content on your PC or splash out for a bigger memory stick, which, for most PSP owners, will be unavoidable anyway given the meagre space provided by the default stick.

However, this niggle shouldn't divert attention away from the fact that Studio Liverpool is truly trailblazing when it comes to downloadable content - an area of PSP that is, at present, massively neglected.

Stay in touch with gamesradar.com for a full report on our visit to Studio Liverpool soon.

Wipeout Pure will be released as a PSP launch game

Sounds fantastic! 12 tracks? Wow. But I hope they don't keep us waiting until the EU release some time in 2007...

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Graham
    while the remaining courses will be a mixture of more minimal, abstract affairs.
    Does anyone else think this sounds like Prototype tracks... ?
    Sounds like some considerable effort was put into the extra content, which is great to see.

PSN ID
    Axellink

wow, yeah it does sound like prototype tracks to me as well. I'm liking the fact that they could add more to the game after the 6 month period which means continuous support for the game upto a year? Even though we might have to pay after the 6 month period or something.

Yeah - I'd totally pay for downloads after these initial 12 tracks and the first 6 months. Im not too worried about waiting either - its good to have something to look forward to as well as allowing me to concentrate on the great tracks we already have.

I thought all the tracks would be 'tron'style - great to hear we're getting more 'real' tracks too.

This music mixer thing sounds fascinating too... :idea:

Yep, but from the sound of that it seems unlikely we'll get an option to be able to use our own music tracks. Not to worry.

I had also convinced myself that they'd all be 'virtual' tracks so the idea of some more fully realised tracks is fantastic news. You're right about the wait - there is plenty here to master as it is. Of course knowing they exist still makes me want to have a go! I like the idea of more skins too just to liven the interface up. Actually I would imagine they'll start with things like that before giving us tracks or craft.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Accordong to the official PS mag, you can listen to music while playing games, custom soundtracks, it's reason number 13 of 31 why you'd be an idiot not to buy a PSP