Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXQUISITE: Yawnstretch is in heaven

Default EXQUISITE: Yawnstretch is in heaven

I received Pure this morning.

Goodbye

Me too.

Floatyness is balanced perfectly... Nobody need fret.

Sound effects are incredible... Music is spot on... visual effects look crisp and beautiful...

> two of my favourite moments so far:

1) Being stuck in a disruption bolt, and having the whole screen warp and bend in a cinematic fashion.

2) The bomb ticking sound growing in loudness as you approach it, then decreasing in pitch as you pass it, just as sirens do in real life.

Damn it this machine is awesome, and wipEout is the perfect showcase for it!

You said it pseudonym.

It's a damned great game - just wish I didnt have to turn it off so I can meet my thesis deadline

Well done Colin et al

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

_commenting on US version_

agreed. the sfx are gorgeous, flawless, superb, awesome (running out of useful superlatives).

Music ranks among the worst I have ever heard! Who is responsible for letting all that breakbeat crap in there? Bad form.
    Good track from CS, though :wink:

Good day for the Irish Wipers - mine arrived too. I've been playing since I got home from work. It's beautiful. I love it. I love the tracks. I love the handling (yes, Zoolander's points about the pitch are valid in the air but this handling really works well and feels like the WO we all love).

I am very happy with this. Pure is a lovely game.

Any criticisms? Nah, not really. Not so far anyway. If I was to stretch, I would have loved a couple more tracks that are less claustrophobic with open scenery but then that's what the cloud track has going for it so it's been accounted for. Maybe a few more really tricky hairpins. But I'm really stretching. It really is a great game.

The balance with the weapons I find to be different to any of the other WO games and it really works. It has more emphasis on weapons than say the first WO but you never lose that sense of racing that occurred in Fusion when some parts became out and out fragfests. I really like this balance - it's like you have to break yourself away from the craziness at the start of each race and find your own space, your own zone.

Yep, great stuff. You Wipeout guys have outdone yourselves. You have created something new and yet took on board every criticism of Fusion (which must have been quite harsh to take at times). Great work.

Thanks!

Edit: Just as a reply to Thruster's post - I sort of agree. The reason I didn't bring it up is that music is a real tricky one. Music changes very quickly and, more than that, all of our tastes change. I didn't want to criticise the music because I wasn't sure if the world's tastes had changed or if mine had. Still, there are some fantastic music tracks here too.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

hey, at least we can switch off the rubbish ones, eh? :
    (only problem is, it leaves me with a playlist 5 or 6 long)

Yeah - I agree about the music - at first it seemed as if track after track didnt suit me then the good stuff started!

Hopefully we can hack the music downloads and put our own stuff in there - but you're right Dogg - music tastes are a fickle thing I find, and often come down to association for me (ie. if I hear the music and something nice happens - I end up liking the music!).

Damn I want to get my thesis finished so I can just enjoy this game forever!

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Dont rush your thesis. WipEout can and will be waiting for you. :wink:

ace sfx moment #2... the bomb!!!!
    "whiroooo" "whiroooo" "KA-BOOOOMIE!"
    :

There is just no beating the sfx in pure.
    Spot-on.

PSN ID
    Axellink

Can someone tell me, can the AI use all the weapons? If not, what can they only use? Thanks.

Damn! Yawnstretch, i was thinking you were dead and gone to heaven 8O ! What a topic name......

Re: AI weapons.

for once I really feel like I can detect the AI ships playing the same game as me, they get power ups, and you can hear them getting them - ACE!

Re: music

Man, the music is superb. There is something here from all the popular contemporary dance music styles. it is waaaay better than wip3out soundtrack (excluding xpander)... Even Paul Hartnoll has ditched his cheddar tunes from Orbital and made something decent again!! I have a smile from ear to ear. This game does it all... the Zone and Classic tracks are stupidly fresh. I can't fault anything... I would marry Colin Berry...

I seem to recall saying something similar about another member of the purE crew lol.

One thing I LOVE is outrunning a quake - you can FEEL the heat baby!

Oh - and will there be more zone levels? The four we have are orgasmic!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Oh look at that smoke! I don't think I've ever seen a game developer run so fast

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Yeah, I don't like some of the breakbeat tunes.

They're good standout tracks, but just not very WipEout.

However, some of the tracks are quite good.

Onyx - CoLD SToRAGE
    Cross The Line - Elite Force

Are my 2 favorites so far.

I'd list more, but my PSP is off right now.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

oh there are good tracks, just not as many as i would have liked/hoped for.
    and youre totally right there, :vl, i'm sure they are not bad songs on their own, but just dont have the right feel or agression as onyx or gold rush.

anyone thats doubting this just needs to have a single race around sebenco climb with "room 2" by jay tripwire hurting their ears.

It took me two laps before thinking of eating that umd struck me as a better idea than listening to it.

How does Photek's C-Note fit? Third Sequence and Gare D'europa went hand in hand for 2097.

fits perfectly. I despise drum and bass, and this track I wouldn't listen to outside of wipeout, but when you're psyched up to get the Gold 'this time' and this track kicks in... Likewise with all the tracks. Onyx and Cross the Line are the two most instantly likeable tracks, because they follow a popular formula, but give it time, and the rest will show themselves to be classics too.

I think they all do something good to your adrenaline in different ways. the only track I'm not fond of is the track by Aphex Twin. Sounds a bit backward, and doesn't do much for me.

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

every one bitching about the tunes > you'll love them all within a year!
    also there are no way to satisfy ALL!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

I got mine yesterday...for the most I love it but there is a few problems i've come across and I'm not too sure the original creator Nick "GOD" Burcomebe would have wanted to have seen in the game.

The sound track is awesome especiallys Tim Wright tune 'Onyx', when is the CD being released?

And zone mode is by far the best aspect of the game so far...I hate the A.I.

End of transmission...