Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SDK for W''O'-2097 PC-Version?

Default SDK for W''O'-2097 PC-Version?

Hi there.

Is there a SDK available for WO2097 PCVersion?
    Because then we could incrase the max. resolution and insert a frameratelimitter.

wohaya

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

SDK?

Gimme a clue; Animal Vegetable or Mineral? :wink:

Even if I knew what/who/where an SDK was, why would you wanna up the resolution anyway? Its not like you cam magically make everything more detailled instantly, surely you have to totally redraw the textures, surely!

Timezone
    GMT + 2

SDK = software development kit?

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

SDK stands for Software Development Kit
    edit: beaten to the punch

a framerate limiter would be a godsend for that title, and increasing the res would have one benefit at least... the edges of the polygons would seem smoother.

even so I don't think an sdk is really what's needed.
    a copy of the sourcecode allowing you to make the necessary changes and build your own binary is what's needed there.
    if anyone ever gets this opportunity, combine it with the network patch while you're at it

jeah....

I´m modding 2097 now....
    I replaced the sounds and now I´m trying to change the textures.
    The problem is, that wipEout is not able to resize the textures.
    That means when I incrase the resolution of the textures, some parts won´t be visible ingame. :/

Well 1024*768 is no problem with the Wipeout XL executable.

Oh dear..... I hope Psygnosis will rise again and code a new "wipEout" for PC.
    With Full DirectX9 suport, resolutions up to 1600*1200, new soundtrack and ultra high polygonmodels! :

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

I'd be interested in seeing screengrabs of what you've managed so far.

it occurred to me a while ago that for an updated PC version it would probably be doable to build it as a mod for UT2004. obviously it wouldn't be possible to use any of the psygnosis/sce* IP, but some of the concepts could be carried over quite well

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Burton
    Oh dear..... I hope Psygnosis will rise again and code a new "wipEout" for PC.
    Slight problem with that, Psygnosis still exist, they were forced to change their name to SCEE Studio Liverpool by the ****-****s at Sony (insert whatever curses you think fit there) and they won't ever make another wipE'out" (it's 1 mark after the 'E' and 2 after the 't') for any non-Sony platform because Sony owns both Psygnosis/Studio Liverpool and the rights to wipE'out" and they don't want competition. I'm just glad they still make w'o" at all really.

If you manage to make some new CG ingame models for 2097 era craft I'd be very interested in seeing them, I'm making some basic blueprints atm and intend eventually to try and recreate the older ships physically.

the most recent reincarnation of WO2 was about 2 [?] years ago when Sony brought out a version for the Macintosh. whether there was any significant remodeling to higher graphic standards i just don't know because i've never had a Mac.

---

i don't really agree that Psygnosis still exist

Oh right, I didn't know the Mac version was so much after the other versions I thought it was done at the same time as the PC and Saturn conversions. I figured the last port was the Amiga version.

Whether or not Psygnosis still exist is fairly moot, Studio Liverpool 'inherited' the history of Psygnosis as it were. While SL exists I doubt anyone will be able to buy up the name and rights to Psygnosis and even if the name and logo were sold on the licenses would not be transfered with it so the new resurected Psygnosis wouldn't be able to make a new wipE'out", Rollcage, Shadow of the Beast or Killing Game Show or indeed any other classic Psygnosis (or Psyclapse) game. Though it would be nice to see the old logo with the surreal font and owl hanging below it.

just a little historical tidbit:
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/company.php?name=Psygnosis

and another:
    http://gameboy.mobygames.com/company/psygnosis/history

and check out section 1 on this site:
    http://www.xboxgamers.com/index.php?...page.php&id=94
    for where some of the Psyggy personnel went.

and here's a quote about the founder of two of Psygnosis' studios:

^Simon Gardner - President - Climax Action

Simon joined Climax's Solent studio in August 2003 as Managing Director.

An architect by training, Simon joined Microprose in 1993, after which he founded Psygnosis' South West studio. In 1995 he was promoted to Regional Development Director and went on to found Psygnosis' Leeds studio. In 1998 Simon was appointed Studio Director at Sony's Cambridge studio, where he continued to develop their Medievil brand and launched the BAFTA winning Medievil II. Simon joined Rage Games Ltd in late 2000 as Group Development Manager, where he ran the Bristol studio, after which he spent a brief period as an entrepreneur before joining Climax.^

Timezone
    GMT + 12
    PSN ID
    NZLion

Quote Originally Posted by Seek100
    Oh right, I didn't know the Mac version was so much after the other versions I thought it was done at the same time as the PC and Saturn conversions. I figured the last port was the Amiga version.
    bingo, as both are ppc. after they did the amiga version the same company ported it over.
    what came out a couple years ago was a patch for 2097 allowing you to play it on OSX. it was originally released for OS9 et al
    *has the patch bookmarked and waiting for his mac mini to arrive*

Quote Originally Posted by Lion
    Iit would probably be doable to build it as a mod for UT2004
    Well it would be better to make a Mod for FlatOut.
    Because the engine of Flatout is really fast!!! 8O

But I dont know how tu use MAYA to "recreate" the tracks and Models.

Does somebody know how to edit the polygonmodels of W'O''2097?
    I dont know how to manage this *.prm, *.cmp files *.wad files.

I can model in maya and max, i've done lots of wipeout ships and tracks before but my texturing skills arent vry good.. Also I think there would be serious copyright issues.

Copyright does not matter.
    You dont sell the "MOD" .

Well Texturing shouldn´t be the problem.
    I made a lot of things with Photoshop.

The problem is, how to create a Mod for Flatout.
    Because I dont know how to reconfigute the systemfiles of Flatout.
    That contains the gravity control and all the Physics......

Edit:
    This was one of my first new Textur.
    Its just a part of the full trackset.
    CLICK

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Burton
    does somebody know how to edit the polygonmodels of W'O''2097?
    I dont know how to manage this *.prm, *.cmp files *.wad files.
    those file extensions are probably how the meshes are are compressed/packed together into a format that the game engine can read. If you can find a program that will unpack them or a plugin for studio max or maya that will allow you to import them.

KK....

But there are no decompressors and/or Plugins available.
    I seeked the whole afternoon....

I just searched a website called http://filext.com/index.php for the three extensions u listed. i dont know that i recognised anything for the first two file extension but it seems a lot of games used .wad for packing files including half life and quake. and it also provided a link to a program called dragon unpacker.

go to that site and do a search for those extensions and see if you recognise anything. and see if dragon unpacker will allow you to see whats in the .WAD files.[/url]

Thanx 4 the link!

Dragon isn´t able to open the WAD files and the other 2 extensions are not listened.

grr

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

I used to have a texture editor for quake.
    It opened *.wad files.
    It was called wally.

Dont know if its still on the net, but all it gave you was pretty pictures, nothing a dotcommoner like me could work with.

MercÃ* for the tip!
    I´ll search it tmorrow. ^^

Have to go to work soon......