Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgotten memory.... an early wipeout screen shot

Default forgotten memory.... an early wipeout screen shot

when I was just in secondary school around 14 years old or something, and the playstation was the must have item, I remember a friend brining in a magazine with early shots of psx games including a pre render of wipeout 1...it looked really good, even though the game didn't match the render quality.
    After a few years I thought I had imagined the screen shot render but i found this article

http://freespace.virgin.net/ben.talbot/wipeout64.html

and that middle screenshot is the one...

does anybody recognise it or know where i can get that picture?Does anyone remember that screenshot?
    I would love to have a copy the first wipeout screen that got me into this glorious game

PSN ID
    Axellink

hmmm I don't remember that picture, but that report is damming as hell!! I thought the music for WO64 was fantastic!!! Stupid reviewer.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Shoudnt this be in the WipEout64 area?

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

believe it or not, but I've seen exactly this article a few days ago while searching for WipEout pics on google.
    I tought it was to old to show it and everybody whould know it... funny thing

Thrusty, he's looking for what he thinks is an early rendering of WO1

that pic has been posted here in color quite a while ago, a magazine scan iirc, i think it was Nick Burcombe who posted it along with another one .. im not sure though

the original image is by Lee Carus before WO1 was published. might even be from a video, but not sure. didn't he publish 3 images in that post? maybe? it was a long time ago

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I remember that color screenshot.

It looked like the track from the WipEout Intro.

Something I'd love to play!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

If the link would still work, you could see the picture here (the post by wiseman) :

>> http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/vi...r=asc&start=75

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

damn pesky web hosting services...
    unreliable at best.

sorry rometheus and :axel, thanks :lance

ah man, thanks Sausehuhn. I clicked the forum link and found the post, but none of the links in it work
    so close... did anyone get copy these pictures before they were taken down? I gotta admit, it's pretty cool to hear other people recognise the screen shot. I thought I had imagined the whole thing.. now I really am determined to get this picture

if anyone has a copy they can upload or link to..

Hey I was just looking through some old magazines and found this wip3out news article which contains the pictures of the original wipEout I think you were talking about.

I've uploaded it here:

Full Article

Just the screenshots (larger size):

this is awesome - that's exacly how i imagined Wipeout to be in its primal concept.

Yes, those screenshots are the reason i got interested in Wipeout and i think they were out before playstation´s launch.

Althought at first i was dissapointed that the game wasnt like that graphically, i discovered that the controls+music+speed+etc, the whole game in itself more than made up for it, and besides the graphics still were great (for that time)

Spiral Motion, thank you.
    This is exactly the image I remember...in fact I think this is the exact magazine! the layout is just so familiar... I have been hoping for years this would be available on the net... you've really made my day...again many thanks!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Mano
    Yes, those screenshots are the reason i got interested in Wipeout and i think they were out before playstation´s launch.
    Mano, I'm rather certain they weren't. ;-) The article is sort of a prelude to Wipeout 3.

Ben

Ben: Ahh theres more to it than the words you read on the article, the trick is to not assume that since the pics were there, they were made around the WO3 era , i think they brought them up again for that WO3 article, that doesnt mean they were made to showcase wo3, but the article author/s aimed to make the article interesting portraying a possibility for the new wipeout using old pics of those mock ups.

And im sure i saw renders like that before or around PS lauch. my graphic memory rarely betrays me.

heres the link, look at Nick´s post about Edge magazine, those renders or at least renders like that were in there:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/vi...r=asc&start=25

also look at Wiseman´s post:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forums/vi...r=asc&start=75

Also read all the posts in this topic...

those renders were made as conceptual art to try to show how they thought Wipeout (original) would come out, read the entire topic, contains interesting information about the creation of Wipeout and related stuff, and from one of the Wipeout creators

I think someone already mentioned wisemans jpg links, they don't work anymore. they are the same screen shots right?

;off topic;
    Well Mano....

You got me convinced to read ALL the topics in these forums. It is awesomely awesome ( ) what kind of things you can find here. A LOT about Wipeout history
    ;off topic;

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Mano: Thanks for clearing me up. :) I just never saw the pics before and so assumed they had to be there in accordance to the article.

Ben