Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't take it anymore...

Default I can't take it anymore...

Hiya everyone,

I'm just looking for some help here as i live in ireland and just can't stand waiting any longer...

I'm thinking bout importing a US PSP and just need to know a few things:
    1) Is it a good idea?

2) Is PSP region specific (will euro games work US PSP)?

3) Where should i buy from?

4)How about charger (adapters???)?

5) Anything else i should know?

cheers guys

Yeah its a great idea, as long as you dont want to watch euro movies or play games with your euro mates. (The psp is region specific on those two issues i believe)
    The psp canplay games from us, euro and japan. but, you cant play multiplayer between regions

If you do want to import one, get it from videogamesplus.ca (I think thats the name??)

BTW Welcome to the community mate

Like the name

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Hi ODST! welcome to the forums!

The games a region free. But the US code for movies is 1, the one for Europe 2. So you can play games, but not watch movies.
    The japan PSP has also code 2, so if you would import a japan PSP you could also watch european movies [if I'm right, not 100% sure]
    I'm not a fan of import. But when you think you should do it, you should do. It's your choice (reminds me on "choice" by Orbital)

I imported a japanese PSP and I have a US copy of Wipeout ordered. I paid over the odds for the PSP but now that things have settled down I would imagine you could get one for as cheap if not cheaper than waiting for the local release.

I do have questions on the whole multiplayer aspect though - it has been stated for Wipeout (and other games) that multiplay between regions is not possible. I'm curious as to what the specifics are here and why this is the case? Is it dictated by the region of the PSP or the region of the games? And why, if the games themselves are not region coded, is there a multiplayer issue at all? I'm assuming that there must be a good reason as the DS also has the same issue but I don't know what it is. I can't imagine that games would be developed region free and then have multiplay between regions deliberately locked out. Is it some sort of wi-fi frequency standards or something?

Dogg.

It is to do with network coding issues and the PSPs network libraries.

I know that isnt very helpful but that is all I can remember

I can try and get a fuller answer on Monday

1) Is it a good idea? It depends. You'll be able to play the likes of Wipeout Pure early on a region-free game-playing device, but UMD access is stil region-locked. In my opinion, I'm more interested in the PSP's gaming capacity so there's little difference for me in ordering a US PSP to a Euro PSP.

However:
    The problems with the UMD lockout is hard to gauge right now, until we know whether the medium takes off and more film companies support it. In any case, I'd imagine someone will invent a UMD region-x disc so movies of all regions can be played (similar to region-free DVD playing discs you can buy for PS2 to use different region discs).

I am not quite sure on the multiplayer front. The PSP uses wifi but if you have a US version of a game and your friends have a European version of a game, then there may be problems. Theoretically, there shouldn't be considering games are supposed to be region free though. We'll just have to see what the reports are like between compatibility between Japan and US PSPs.

2) The PSP isn't currently region-specific for games (it would otherwise contradict the 'portable' notion of the device and travelling with it to buy games).

3) VG+ are very good, fast and reliable, although supply demand for the PSP means they're currently unavailable from there right now. This will probably be echoed across other sites for a few weeks. NCSX and Tronix are also reputable websites to order from.

4) The charger you'll need (if you want to run the machine through the mains) is a step-down converter (220-240V to 110-120V), which you plug your PSP into.

5) It depends on if you're patient or not. You could wait until Sony finalise the European release date for the PSP and the system price, but I have a feeling it's not going to be pleasurable reading. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry
    It is to do with network coding issues and the PSPs network libraries.

I know that isnt very helpful but that is all I can remember

I can try and get a fuller answer on Monday
    Cheers. I think those of us who are thinking of importing PSPs now aren't really looking to disrespect the work Sony Liverpool have put into Pure. We're just eager to play it as soon as possible.

my advice is wait for the european version, I know its a pain as there is no date but it is so much fun in multiplayer you dont want to miss out on that.

There you go straight from the horses mouth
    I knew the Euro one would be worth waiting for Theres more to this me thinks.

Mmm. Or I could pick up a second copy of Pure.

Or another PSP.

Guilty secret: I've never played Wipeout in multiplayer with anyone.

Actually Concept, you don't need a step-down converter at all. The unit that comes with the PSP can take different voltages so you just need a plain old plug converter or an 8-pin lead which you can rob from your PS2 or XBox or whatever.

Also, despite the US PSP packs being scarce, the Japanese model is readily available at places like play-asia.com and lik-sang.com for just over $300 for the value pack and I think about $250-260 for the standard pack. As someone who bought the value pack I can't say I'd recommend it as I have already replaced the headphones and the memory stick and will be getting a better case as soon as I find one. The Japanese model runs US games fine so far.

As far as I know though, region coding is down to the discretion of the developer (well, probably the publisher?) so that may not be the case for all games in the future. Am I right about that?

As for whether you should import, well I was impatient. If I thought the Euro release would be any time soon I would recommend waiting at this point, exactly for the reason already stated here - multiplayer. But it doesn't look like there will be a release for quite some time so I would say go ahead and import if you really want to play Wipeout now. If you're like me though, you'll probably also end up getting the Euro version for the multiplayer. But, hey, if you're going to get a game twice it may as well be Wipeout!

Thanks for the answer on the multiplayer, Colin. I'm curious to hear why that is.

Dogg.

If your feeling flush, then why not
    Wish my coffers were as stuffed as yours lol

Haha... I wish.

Unfortunately, credit card debt and I have been friends once or twice before.

Wow - i started this topic, went out to play soccer, came back and couldn't believe the amount of replies!

Cheers guys!

Would just like to clear up a few things tho:

If i bought a US PSP - that would mean i could not watch movies or multiplay euro games right? What if i bought a copy of WipEout Pure when it was released in europe. could i then multiplay?

Sorry if i'm not picking up on what was already posted...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogg Thang
    Actually Concept, you don't need a step-down converter at all. The unit that comes with the PSP can take different voltages so you just need a plain old plug converter or an 8-pin lead which you can rob from your PS2 or XBox or whatever.
    Excellent. I already have a step-down converter for my PS2, but to find you don't even need a converter for the PSP to plug into the mains is going to make it even more tempting for the impatient.

Also, despite the US PSP packs being scarce, the Japanese model is readily available at places like play-asia.com and lik-sang.com for just over $300 for the value pack and I think about $250-260 for the standard pack. As someone who bought the value pack I can't say I'd recommend it as I have already replaced the headphones and the memory stick and will be getting a better case as soon as I find one. The Japanese model runs US games fine so far.
    The reason I'm intent on picking up a US model over a Japanese one is due to the English menus, although I'm aware it may be possible to change the language index on the Japanese PSP. True or not?

As far as I know though, region coding is down to the discretion of the developer (well, probably the publisher?) so that may not be the case for all games in the future. Am I right about that?
    Sony have set it up like the Xbox I think, in that yes, it's down to developer discretion. But it really wouldn't serve their interests to region limit games on a handheld. It isn't like the console market, where the technology is (usually) pinned down to the spot. People will be taking their PSPs everywhere. To maximise potential profit and revenue, it'd probably make more sense to keep things region free for publishers, although I do realise it may possibly interfere with revenue sourced to regional sections.

As for whether you should import, well I was impatient. If I thought the Euro release would be any time soon I would recommend waiting at this point, exactly for the reason already stated here - multiplayer. But it doesn't look like there will be a release for quite some time so I would say go ahead and import if you really want to play Wipeout now. If you're like me though, you'll probably also end up getting the Euro version for the multiplayer. But, hey, if you're going to get a game twice it may as well be Wipeout!
    I've never played Wipeout over multiplayer. I'm certainly interested, but for me personally, the core strength of the series' lifespan has always been in time trails.

Quote Originally Posted by ODST
    If i bought a US PSP - that would mean i could not watch movies or multiplay euro games right? What if i bought a copy of WipEout Pure when it was released in europe. could i then multiplay?
    That's what I'm interested/slightly confused about.

Colin said it was something to do with different network libraries being used for region-specific (i.e. US/Euro/Japanese) PSPs, so the problem may be hardware-based instead of software.

PSN ID
    Hellfire_WZ

I remember him saying something about the actual coding in the various versions of the game not being compatible, so a Wi-fi network would see them as two completely different games.

If that's true, then picking up a second copy of the game (European), as opposed to another PSP should sort the multiplayer compatibility problem out.

Hopefully.

The videos I've seen of Pure and the feedback I've read really aren't making me any less anxious to play it.

no no no..

euro game can link with euro game no matter what machines they are on

ie euro game on jap machine and euro game on us machine and euro game on euro machine can all play together (I think... I'm pretty sure on this)

U.S. game on us machine and euro game on U.S. machine, cant link - this is definite

so...
    you can get a U.S machine and UK game and it will be fine to link with friends who have uk machine and uk game.

does that make sense ?
    The network libraries that conflict are in the 'base' code of each game.... its something to do with netwrok ID tags or something.

essentially games from different regions wont link,
    machines from different regions playing games from same region will

see... told you to wait for the euro version... its simple then

I get you. I was just being my usual dopey self.

I'ill be picking up the European version for the multiplayer support and possible tweaks that may happen.

In the meantime, I can see myself picking up a PSP and a US version to placate my hunger for the game whilst I wait though.

As long as the European versions can link together then I'll be buying two copies of the game (and possibly the Japanese version if my collector's instinct takes over).

Thanks for clearing the situation up.