Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modojo review of WOP

Default Modojo review of WOP

Yeah I've never heard of them either but here it is:
    http://www.modojo.com/articles/revie.../wipeout_pure/
    Sounds cool even if the reviewer has his tongue right up Nintendo's backside

It's nice, but it's a bad idea to compare games in reviews through oppinions. There's nothing to compare between F-Zero and Wipeout. Two completely different games. I'd say a lot but I don't want to get negatory about reviews in general.

A fraction of Modojo´s review:
    ...To its credit, there isn't really anything negative to say about Wipeout Pure other than it's nowhere near as thrilling as F-Zero GX. The speed level is a bit subdued, and it's actually a bummer because I often feel like I'm not moving fast enough. Fans of the series will argue that Wipeout was never about blinding speed, to which I say they're right, but this is also 2005, and there are other games out there...well who am I kidding? It's all about F-Zero GX...
    the author is really really wrong... wipeout never being about speed?!?!, I guess he never played Phantom, btw i played FZGX demo at the mall once and i still think XL in Phantom is quicker, or at the very least you need more reflexes and anticipation to play it.. but maybe someone who has played FZGX more can confirm this?; not as thrilling as FZGX??? come on...

are you sure this isnt nintendo power magazine in disguise?

GX is absolutely blinding btw. But then like someone said WO was never really about speed and I have always thought it to be a better game through out their repective series'.

So yeah i would say that GX is really fast and maybe this reviewer is right when he says its faster than Pure but i can't tell that for sure as i havent played Pure yet.

WO3 is better than GX still

PSN ID
    Axellink

Thats a tough one, but yeah GX is way faster than wipeout. But then Wipeout has other things that make it stand out to make it it's own winner. I love both games TBH, and can't choose which one is better.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I never played GX, but I have to agree, that WipEout is not as fast as it could be. Okay, when you play Phantom the first time, you will say: wooohooo, that's incredible fast!
    But when you know a track very well and flew it a few thousend times you feel slow sometimes.
    For example: Auricom in Wip3out is not slow in Phantom, okay, it's not the fastest, but I do not want to fly with Icaras all the time, it's faster, but the handling is not as good as Auricom's. Would like to have a speed class that is higher than Phantom sometimes, but all in all it's fast enough.

Oh man, I'm saying bad things about WipEout! About my favourite game!

Shut up Max!

Using piranha in phantom class is absolutely faster than fzerogx. As far as the twitch control needed to navigate a course without hitting, it is not even close. This guy I doubt played the whole game(since it is not out yet!), and the game is about blinding speed AND great controls

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

FZGX is fast, but the tracks are huge, very wide and the corners and barely challenging, the only challenge in the game comes from the other ships because the scale of the levels make it easy as pie to manoeuvre your micro machi-err anti gravity micro machine. Speed isn't everything and that reviewer's seeing it in a very 2 dimensional way, speed does not make a game more challenging or sweat inducing, if you scaled down f-zero's tracks to be as challenging as wipEout tracks, you'd be looking at W3O rapier auricom at the very best. Oh well, if even that guy can put aside the nin-fanboy stuff to see the good in an SCEE game, it must be good

Quote Originally Posted by Mano
    the author is really really wrong... wipeout never being about speed?!?!, ?
    Wipeout = speed = fun.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I have played F-Zero GX A LOT and I can surely say that it's NOT faster than Wipeout! There may be parts of tracks that FEEL faster, but actually it is not. Also, as Dimension said, the challenge doesn't come from the tracks, but from the massive amount of rival ships, which is a great sight at first to have the screen full of enemies, but it really loses attractiveness after some time. I could not imagine a TT race at F-Zero, that would just be lame...
    As far as Pure's speed is concerned, my guess is that this amateur reviewer only played Vector class and didn't even know there are faster speed classes, for he is clearly a Nintendo fanboy and F-Zero player and, as such, doesn't know that things like speed classes even exist in futuristic racing games (F-Zero doesn't feature speed classes, it starts of as fast as it gets.
    Pure is gonna be as fast as previous Wipeouts, or even faster, I'm sure about that, and that's really all I need.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

I always compare F-Zero to WipEout just like I compare NASCAR to F-1.

NASCAR might have the overall speed on straights and smoothe courses. But get them into something really technical and F-1 will win every time!

The only good F-Zero games to feature GOOD technical courses are the old SNES and GBA versions. Some really tight corners and such on those. But the 3D ones are god awful.

And let's not even get started on realism via storylines.
    (F-Zero is rather cheezy with its Spandex clad heroes.) :

Does this make sense to anybody else out there?

F-Zero may have always been cheesy in storyline terms, but Fusion approached that level with some of the backstories, especially things like the EG.r pilots and spanish teenagers being executed under a repressive law to protect tourists, even worse the founder of Icaras dying by eating a baloon, some of it looked like the scrawlings of a 12 year old, or one of the 'whacky' episodes of the Simpsons where the writers tried to immitate Family Guy's surrealism.

I'm hoping purE's backstories are much more maturely written like those of w'o" 1-3

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

I don't care about any backstories, I just want SHIPS that FLOAT at HIGH SPEED. that's all.

PSN ID
    Axellink

I know this is a wipeout board but please lets not be biased SOOO much lol. Come on, if you make the fastest craft possible in the custom craft section, the speed definately out does the speed fo wipeout seriously.

F1 machines certainly ought to be able to outdo NASCAR machines in the tricky bits for two reasons: 1- they cost several times as much as NASCAR racers, and 2- they're designed to handle tricky bits.

Wipeout ships have a similar relationship to F-Zero machines. except maybe for the 'cost several times as much' part.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

yeah, FZGX outdoes wipEout in speed, i'll grant you that much, F-Zero looks pretty and there's a ship to suit everyone's tastes, but outside of single races against an entire field, it doesn't have any challenge and even then there are better games you could play for the sake of beating up the AI. I enjoyed FZGX, i'm not bashing it for the sake of being a fan boy, but the fact remains that true wipEouts are eternal, we'll (or at least I'll) be playing them for a long time to come, I sold FZGX two weeks ago, you see my point? Nintendo's massive characters, "epic" storylines, ubah speed and cheese will, while keeping their fanboys interested, never constitute a game that you should claim better than wipeout, it's like the gimmicks of FZ vs. the style of wipeout.
    Fanboys like the gimmicks ---> gimmicks sell ---> Nintendo likes the gimmicks :wink:

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

" Fans of the series will argue that Wipeout was never about blinding speed".......WE INVENTED PHANTOM CLASS, JACKASS!

Modojo, this is what you get for screwing around with true wipeout fans.
    Now wipe the tears from your eyes and run home to mummy.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

LOL, way to go thrusty, you tell 'em

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster2097
    .....WE INVENTED PHANTOM CLASS, JACKASS!
    We ??!

Praeterea censeo autopilotum esse delendam

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

We (as in wipeout) invented the velocity overload that is Phantom.
    We, (as in WipEoutZone) lent our name to Zone mode, which is the mother of all speed!

Whichever way you look at it, we do have this loser beaten.
    Speed, and lots of it, is essential to WipEout.

No if
    No but
    No maybe.