Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: New Wipeout Pure Information

I knew about the 460 MB thing because of working with mass storage devices in the past. Stoarge dvice companies tend to rate things with two misleading factors:

1.) They often use 1000 bytes as a MB instead of the 1024 used by computer operating systems. Ofcourse this only leads to a 2.5% overhead.

2.) They report unformatted space. When the OS formats any piece of media it has to create a table so that it knows where to store and retrieve information. The actual overhead percentage shrinks as the size goes up but the difference becomes so apparent as you go up in size that it has only recently become a public issue.

For instance, a reported 256 MS Duo actually only holds around 220 (for a little under 15% overhead); whereas, a 512 MS Duo actually only holds around 460 (for a little over 10% overhead). On a 1 GB stick it becomes even more apparent because once again a gig in common terms is 1024 MB where to the manufacturer it is 1000 MB so the overhead percentage shoots up again. So I would expect to get between 930 - 940 MB on a 1 GB stick (although I haven't seen technical numbers on it).

Hopefully manufacturers will soon realize that consumers aren't IT workers and they should standardize their terms so people don't feel misled.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the movie thing. I have an eight hour flight down to BVI coming up this summer so that's the only time I can forsee needing/wanting to watch a full movie on my PSP.

-DD

[EDIT]

Just found a place that confirmed 1GB Sticks actually have 940MB worth of room.

[/EDIT]

Sorry to post twice in a row but I thought this might be worth it:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...ductCode=82531

According to the site this is a 1GB MS Duo specifically designed for the PSP (in other words it has a translucent yellow case) but most importantly it is listed for only $67

Now this has to be a misprint because they've got the 512 sticks for the same price, but just in case they are willing to honor a misprinted price I thought I'd post it. Also notice that the site says it is on back-order but in actuality these haven't even shipped yet so they should be on pre-order not back order. Lastly, the product is listed as next day shipping absolutely free. Anyway, let's hope that we can take advantage of a typo.

-DD

Thruster2097, you want to make sure the stick you get is either a Memory Stick Duo or a Memory Stick Pro Duo , nothing else will work. The Duo sized cards are ~1/2 half the size of the non-Duo cards.

I have a 512MB card but I am lusting after a 1GB. 512MB is actually pretty decent if you are not going to try to store a ton of movies and music, but with a 1GB card costing less than 2 512s, I'd recommend getting one of those to start with.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

Didnt realise they had different sizes. Saved me a lot of money! thanks.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Hmm Amzon UK want £129.99 for a Sony 1 GB memory stick pro duo, they also want £211.06 for a 512mb one, someone care to explain?

By the way whats the cheapest price you have found these memory cards at? I've found a 1 gig one for £92.04, I don't know if thats good or bad.

I just went through one of the Gamespot videos with that 180 degree turn and you an rest assured that when that Quirex hits the wall, there are sparks everywhere, and the only bugs, at least on that particular section of that particular track, are the ones in the windshield.

O, ye of little faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt|Ultra
    Quote Originally Posted by Sausehuhn
    That double curly track in the sky looks super sweet. What is that in the lower left? A data screen for a track?
    That track design came about after a dream about scissors

PSN ID
    infoxicated

*ahem* yeah - the Scissor Sisters, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by The Boye

Now, don't get me wrong, if there is a chance of getting more for my money I'm always a happy bunny, but I'd hate to think that in this case we are being drip fed what we initially forked out for. As with Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox live, the downloadable content was actually on the disk and all that was downloaded was a file that unlocked what you already had sitting there since you bought it.

If this info turns out true we could be looking at a minimum of 64meg needed for all the downloadable tracks alone, the average mp3 file would also come in at 4meg (unless hidden on the UMD). That'll easily make purchasing a 128meg memory card a must have for the true WipEout PurE experience.
    None of the downloadable content is on the UMD, this has been mentioned on some website reports but it is utter bullshit written by people without a clue

Some reports seem to think that small ship dload sizes mean the info is on the disk, which is nonsense, they obviously werent around in the days when you could get a whole game on a floppy. And they obviously have no concept of compression techniques.

Wiseman once said, Leaked info often contains half truths.

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    *ahem* yeah - the Scissor Sisters, no doubt.
    Can you believe Its my week off, and I have such an exciting life that already I am spending my Monday evening catching up on here (no offence people !)

Catch you later in the week for a pint no doubt chief :

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry
    Catch you later in the week for a pint no doubt chief :
    *shniff* I knew you wouldn't forget about your old pal Foxy.

Hey, I was planning on going back to the gym this week, you know - you'd better get me back down the pub before I have too many of those wild notions!

hehe I just saw your 'I miss you' post in the other thread too I am getting all emotional now.
    So far I've spent my days off in bed - my back is knackered and I have to go to the doctors later in the week cos I think I might have a hernia, which is just fkin tremendous.

I hope you are keeping everyone in check, let me know which day is a good pub day for you and the others and I'll hobble along.

edit by Lance: unnecessary quote of immediately previous post was removed

PSN ID
    infoxicated

****... that is grim - how did you manage that? Reaching for a pint? Stretching from the chair to the floor to pick up your laptop?

Not entirely sure about the others, but any night is good for me - text me and I'll be there.

I felt something 'go' at the end of january after playing football (which is when I hurt my back) however I forgot about it and it went. But the pain has come back two fold and I think the back pain and groin pain are connected. I checked some thing son the web and it could be anyone of several things, but a mild hernia is probably the most appealing.

I was supposed to go to the doctors today, but I spent the day in bed playing yu-gi-oh and pure, which is kind of sad really.

(I know its off topic but.... )

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

....spent the day in bed playing pure.

What you call bad days are my dreams! (well, minus the hernia, and the yugioh, and the bed..)
    Damnit just give me pure!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

In a slightly unrelated topic, here's hoping you get well real quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Berry
    That track design came about after a dream about scissors
    Heh, I can really see that. Inspiration can be found in the strangest places.