Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wipeout Pure Information

Default New Wipeout Pure Information

Hey guys,

Gamespot has added some videos as well as a 2nd more recent developer interview for Pure...

A couple of points I noticed...

- Cold Storage is mentioned as a music credit in the interview video at the start of one of the races...!! So that confirms that one. I'm not sure if anyone was already aware of this or not and I can't be bothered to check Didn't look like anyone knew in the music related posts on this section of the forum though... (..edit - also noticed "Cosmos" as an author of a track in one of the movies posted).

- Ryan Eames says they'll be close to 2X the tracks after you've downloaded all the developer content...

... and my own opinion - this game is going to be what Fusion should have been... you can tell the physics seem spot on WOXL/2097... graphics are RIDICULOUS. I currently own a Japanese PSP and Ridge Racers, and while Ridge Racers looks great, this game has got it beat without a doubt.

Oh, and the weapons voice is a lady and she sounds hot

Peace everybody

Tye

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Wow!!! Good stuff!!! :wink: Looks so much better than Fusion, and it's on a portable system!! And yes, all Wipeout female voices sound hot!!! Thanx for the news!!! The graphics are awesome!!!

hmm, it seems that the floatiness of AG crafts is similar to w3o. I'd risk and even say, that the crafts are not floating much. watching the videos, i just couldn't escape the thought, that now, in Pure, the crafts are much heavier than before. You can tell by the video in which a craft bottoms out (or just hits the ground). It didn't bounce much. The same with the craft behaviour - crafts glide the corners as in (God forgive me...) Fusion.
    I don't know, i must examine the new trailers once again.

Edit - Take a look at Wipeout Developers Interview 2 at exactly 1:27min. Is it just me, or can i see a "new maneouvre" here? It looks like counterbacking, but, it just struck me, that the craft glides sideways!! Watch it and tell me what you think.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

You're right, it looks a little unique, but then maybe it is just a common airbrake turn, with the nose turning to the opposite direction.

What I like about the new ingame videos is the look of the snowy track and the sound your engine makes when flying over speed pads. Or has that already been in Fusion?

Ben

Those are hot, well except for the snow one I guess that one is cool I hope IGN gets some new clips as well, theirs always look better on my machine for some reason.

I'm guessing that is the slowest or one of the slower classes, 'cause it didn't have the feeling of seped I was expecting.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

the speed is rather slow because it is vector class. the ship looks like it has fusion physics when you look at the bouncing and turning, but that's because it's a quirex and they made it reeeaally heavy this time around. like the brick it's called :

the speedup pad noise is SAWEET! so are the huge explosions! damn, this game looks hotter with every new piece of video we get to see! CANT'T WAIT.

Holy moses. It's really looking good. Beautiful sound effects (especially the boost pad), and that voice is pretty sexy... and british. :wink: It seemed like she only announced certain weapons though, and announcing the shield becoming active seems weird. I'd still like to hear the old amiga voice announce incoming weapons...

That rocket looks mean as hell. :

That does look like more than airbraking - like a really harsh forced fishtailing. I hope that's the limit of the special moves. I'd hate to see something ridiculous like mid-air 360's.

I also noticed Aphex Twin listed at the start of a race. Even though I believe that was alread confirmed, now it's definite. (When the hell is the soundtrack info going to be released, anyway? It's only a month off in the US)

Anyone else notice the fat cat? Joy! And the video was a bit blurry, but I think I noticed a giant floating pig in the gameplay 5 footage.

Yeah hopefully the speed and bounciness are down to a qirex ship on slowest mode. The graphics look awesome and the news about the number of tracks is fantastic!

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Pure looks better all the time, the game looks and sounds really good and those tracks look like they could be a bit of a challenge in the upper classes, roll on April 29th 2005, or at this rate 2007

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I still doubt I'll be able to handle the PSP well enough to drive perfect laps in higher classes. Of course, that's only a personal shortcoming of mine, but I have never been good at using those small analoge sticks from modern gamepads, and as far as I can tell the PSP stick feels similar to those. Anyway, just thinking out loud, yet the way the players from the videos have control over their craft seems to confirm my worries.

Ben

Hold off your worries for a bit Ben - its not a stick for starters so it probably isnt much like anything you've used before. The surface of the analogue controller doesnt tilt at all and it has a fluidic kind of resistance. -I so canNOT wait until everyone gets a go on a PSP!

The PSP handles fine...

While it's a simple game... Ridge Racers controls excellent. The D-Pad feels completely identical to the PS1 & 2... and the buttons just take a couple hours with them to get a good feel for.

If you started your career w/Fusion... I can see where you wouldn't like this too too much.. because it's going to handle like the old games and the analogue pad, in my opinion, was never the way to go for those...

I haven't been using the pad for Ridge Racers.. I don't suspect I'll use it for any racing game the way it feels... but I can see using it in like a platformer or a GTA style game.

Actually I agree with you there TMoney - I'll probably use the d-pad too if the game flows like wo/wo2097 as I 'grew up' with that control method.

It will be interesting to try old wipeout physics on an analogue though - wasn't the negcon analogue? Never did get around to getting one of those.

I switch between d-pad and analogue for Ridge Racers and both work fine. I usually stay with the analogue but for wipeout furiousness it's good to know I can really rely on the solid D.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by yawnstretch
    It will be interesting to try old wipeout physics on an analogue though - wasn't the negcon analogue? Never did get around to getting one of those.
    That really is part of my problem. I have grown so accustomed to the neg that I find it hard to play games with either digital control or sticks. I too started playing Wipeout the "regular" way, i.e. by using D-Pad. But going back to it now gets me frustrated as it is so apparent to me how much better I could fly with a neGcon.
    I just realized maybe this post needs a disclaimer. So here it is: I am not saying "hey look, I got a neg it it's just soooo much cooler I REALLY don't know how you inferiors can still play with a double shock!" :-) Instead, the other way around is more like it: I am such a wimp I actually need a negcon to be ANY good at Wipeout at all.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    eLhabib

well, tell me about it! I think I'm the only person on earth who used to play wo2097 with a MadCatz steering wheel!!! when I tried playing it with the d-pad once I performed TERRIBLE! I was awesome with the steering wheel though...
    BUT w3o handles real well with an analogue stick, so I think it'll be just fine.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Hey, that looks sweeeeet! The speed class is slow, and yes, the bouning effect I did not really see, but all in all it looks great. I wonder why there are no videos released that features the higher classes, because this is not the best promotion

The graphics are really ccol, and I like the track with the 180° curve. It is as good as the music in this movies is [and of course the female voice!]

I hope the trailers will be available at ign.com soon as well, and in a higher quality.
    Now show me a video with the bouncing effect and I will be more happy than I allready am.

Default The "Bounce"

The bounce is there guys... trust me...

Go back and play your old Wipeout's at Venom speed and see how much bouncing you do....

When he took a turn sharp you could see him elevate.... any change in the height of the track led to some bouncing...

Trust me it isn't Fusion. Bouncing is alive and well.

I have to say this game is looking and sounding very sexy indeed. Its impossible to tell what the handling/bounce properties are like from this video, though. It could have been Fusion or 2097 in those terms. The walls seem to stop the ship effectively at certain angles and it seemed that the shield actually made the ship bounce off - or I might have been imagining that. The pilot seemed to get to the front despite some pretty average flying. I hope this isn`t possible at higher classes. It did all get me quite excited though.

Lol at all the zoners worried for the beloved bounciness!

- we're not big kids in need of a trampoline/bouncy castle I SWEAR :mrgreen:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

But the bouncing is the Wipeout essence!
    ;)

Well, seriously, didn't Colin say the flight model would be similar to pre-Fusion installments? I really don't think we have to worry about that.

Sausehuhn: The only reason I can imagine why we haven't seen faster classes yet is that Sony thinks it would frighten potential buyers to see you difficult Pure can be to play. Maybe that is why only Vector and Venom have been unlocked for preview plays.

One more not on the music. I am not yet overly impressed by what could be heard so far. Ony of the earlier videos had a more club-like tune playing, but that might as well have been from the scene where the PSP was standing. Anyway, most from yesterdays in-game movies sounds too much like trance/dance music, which I am not a huge follower of.

Ben