Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A quick start?

Karbonis 5! yes, that was it. thanks, Frankie Lee.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Was Karbonis the Arizona one? If someone has the game or the manuel or something, could they please direct us with name and location? That would be very kind. I just plainly forgot!! ops:

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

look for the link in my last post on this page!! duh! 8O
    read all posts!

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

PSN ID

Oh, that link didn't work for me last time I clicked it. Sorry for the waste of time and space. ops:

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

That's perfectly alright iI expect Chill, this is a forum after all: they're meant to be full of crap :wink:

PSN ID

I read that any posts with no reason what-so-ever will be deleted. Isn't that right?

it depends on which moderators see it and how they are feeling about life in general at the time. we are not absolutely uniformly strict in applying rules, but like the monks of Lost Horizon's Shangri-La, are moderate even in our moderation

PSN ID

All zone moderators, is this your job, or do you just have all the time. If it is, from what and how do you get paid, if you do, that is?

Edit: ops: Sorry if this question sounded that way. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful, I was just wondering for ever now. :wink:

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

they don't get payed and they do it on their own free time >> respect!

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

no we don't get paid. and come to think of it, i didn't even volunteer! however, i chose to accept the position.

now if we could wander eventually back to the topic?

Ok Lance, just over two years later I`ll get this back on topic.

I`ll explain my method of turbo starts which seems to be very effective compared to any other method I`ve tried. I could never get any regular success with feathering the thrust button, so I searched for another way to do it. This is not really "my" method, but Zargz and Piranha Wiper had it right on page one of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by piranha wiper View Post
    1. wait until the anouncer says "1" and then hit the X button and it should get to the right place, but this is hard
    there`s a way to make this not so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by zargz View Post
    when the yellow light turns on the 'guy' does say One but it's harder to explane on what part of 'one' you have to press
    My way of finding on "which part of one" you have to press is quite effective for me, and this method should work with any controller and any buttons. You are aiming to press thrust shortly after the yellow/orange/amber light comes on. If I try to do this visually it doesn`t work regularly enough, because it`s very hard to get the timing right this way. The key is to do this not with your eyes, but with your ears. It`s hard to explain..... when you hear the announcer say "three" begin a little countdown in your head, and also physically nod your head in time to the rhythm you will be making. (This is very amusing for people watching you. ) Count like this: "three.... and.... two..... and ..... one(press thrust)... and.... GO!" Nod your head on the beats of the numbers and the offbeats (meaning the "ands") that you are counting. After a few tries you will start to identify a rhythm to the countdown, and find the point in that rhythm at which you should press thrust, which is at some point in the word "one". It`s not really on a beat, but by repeating it over and over again you can burn the timing into your brain. Counting the rhythm, and nodding your head if necessary, enables you to find the right part of "one" more easily. With this method you don`t even need to look at the screen to get the turbo start. Not looking at the screen can also help you get the difficult timing right.

I hope this makes some sort of sense, if not .... . With this method I can get consistent turbo starts on the NTSC version, if I`m "in the zone". Someone with better timing skills could get 100%. On PAL it`s quite a lot harder, but the same method holds. Just on NTSC the point at which you press thrust is slightly later, which I think is because the countdown is slower. Also on NTSC there seems to be a wider margin of error. Even on PAL it`s possible to get Turbo starts consistently though.

If you realise you have pressed x too soon, you can always just release it for a millisecond, and sometimes you will still get the turbo start because you delayed the bar slightly.

This might not be the best for everyone, but for TTs I can`t say I get frustrated any more with trying to get turbo starts. I still miss them, and it still requires concentration, but WipEout has got a lot easier with this method.

here is a diagram of it, which I think is about right. X marks the spot.

three.....(and).....two.....(and).....one.....(and ).....GO

____________________________x______________
    Last edited by lunar; 15th May 2007 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added illustration :)

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    WZ_Task

Fantastic! Just the kind of thing I've been looking for!
    I have, on occassion, gotten into "da zone" and managed consistent turbostarts, but I keep falling out again. Mostly because I didn't really know what I was doing, it was just working. Reading this, I think I can get it repeatable.

Well described!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Great tutorial, lunar! I can imagine the new announcer in coming WipEout games... "And-get ready one, and-set your finger two, and-hit it! three" *g* And yes, that's the way I do starts as well.

Ben

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Interesting theory!, that means, I will have to turn the volume up a bit so I can here their voice cos I`m deaf and I will concentrate harder!

Ok, I will try later this afternoon or tomorrow.

stevie

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    blinky77

Me and my right thumb thank you for all your hard work.

Timezone
    GMT -6
    PSN ID
    kiTTun

Cool A little simpler but not much...

I tell you what, I am a visual person and cannot count and play wipeout simultaneously. With the "feathering thrust in third bar from right" method, I had about a 70-75% success rate I would guess. Thanks to Lunar bringing this thread up, I tried the counting method... too hard for me, I was getting it less than with the feathering.

So now I ignore the 3-2-1 count altogether and am having about a 95% or higher turbo start success rate 100% except when I am seriously tired (flippin' Karbonis...).

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE 3-2-1 at ALL for this to work. Instead watch the red light, with your thumb already on the thrust button (not pressed yet!) IMMEDIATELY after the yellow light comes on, hold down the thrust and you will find you get the turbo start every time (almost). Do not press thrust at the same time as the yellow comes on - wait until you ACTUALLY see it "glow" and then hammer down thrust. WHOOSH, away you go.

So you see Stin, your ears may not matter quite so much as you think more likely the eye-thumbtip coordination.

So far I've had best success with analogue throttle button, and hold the end of the thrust bar hovering at the right spot. When my mind wanders, though, the thrust bar wanders too. Inability to sustain concentration is always my weak point. No, I don't think I have ADD.

PSN ID
    stin_wz

Ok, I will try that way, cheers!

stevie

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    Asayyeah -OFW-

I am at 15% success using B button ( visual technique & ear technique ). Lunar's one is too hard for me for the reasons Isadora explained. I will certainly change for the I button and do what Lance mentionned.
    The margin of perfect start on pal version is extremely hard to find

Medusa - I couldn`t do the "wait for the orange light" method at all, which is how my "feel the rhythm" method happened. I used to play the piano, a bit, badly, but perhaps this helps. Arnaud, I think you`ll find the timing the more you play. Everyone has to find their own way perhaps, and all the possibilities are in this thread, I think.