Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Ideas

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

Default Wipeout Ideas

- -
    If anyone has any cool or unique ideas for a Wipeout game, feel free to share. Any track, craft, weapon, technology, music, or anything ralated to Wipeout of an idea, don't be intimidated to share. All ideas can be used by game developers to possibly come up with the first and mabye best community-developed Wipeout ever produced. Also see "Concepts and more concepts". :wink:

Thought somebody might ask this question sooner or later.

I think the one thing that has stifled wipeout is the fact that I don't think that it is 'Epic' enough. By epic I mean Lord of the Rings was 'Epic'. You know - big beyond imagination, majestic and really, really involving.

PSN ID

Well, how would you feel if you bought a Wipeout game that featured Harry Potter, Final Fantasy caracters, Lord of the Rings caracters, or other fantastic worlds. Along with flying along with magical crafts like a broom or a gummi ship (featured on Kingdom Hearts). Some things can't be. It has a totally different feeling to it than anything extremely fantastic. "Yes, I got the sword!" The sword would constanly club in front of the craft. "Yes, I cut off his dragon's tale!!"
    --
    Other than me being too mean (I'm super sorry, but that's what I believe ops: ), what about Wipeout could make it Epic?

PSN ID
    Judus

I have loads of wipeout concepts with plenty of detail but unfortunately i do not have webspace to put them on, but if anyone would not mind these images sitting in their space and can post the link on this forum, ill be more than happy to send them.

This is like that Simpsons' episode where some children are asked about what would they change about Itchy and Scratchy!
    "would you like them to deal with magic and fantasy worlds?" "yes!"
    "would you like them to cope with every day problems?" "yes!"

C'mon, the beauty of wipeout IS it's "dismal" atmosphere, at least for me... how could it ever be epic? Do you want battlefields where thousands of crafts face each other in a battle against evil? Naaah... :wink:

_dave_

PSN ID

I agree with you UncleZeiv, but one way possibly to make it epic is for you to design you're character and craft before even being able to see the others racing you. You design your character, craft, and team. You have some kind of thing pushing you to race, like "your dad died doing it and you'd like to carry on the tradition" or "it's your fate, do it or die" kinda thing. I suppose you could pull it off, but a story line would have to come with. :wink:

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Nah, I couldn't stand a version of wipEout like that, there are so many god awful japanese games working on the principle of an ultimate battle against evil and all that josh, it's cheesy and none too impressive after you've seen it done once. Besides, wipEout's a racing game, as in... about racing, not saving the world, not killing off the ultimate evil, but brain achingly fast, tight cornered, sweat laden controller making, driving bass laden breakbeat powered, near impossible chance of perfect racing, fascinating, single minded madness. Looky here at these dictionary descriptions:

epic: 1. long poem or story teling of achievements of hero or heroes

That sound like Wipeout?

epic: 2. film etc. about heroic deeds

That sound like Wipeout?

epic: 3. impressive, grand

That sound like wipeout?

I'd say wipEout's impressive and grand, it's 50+ years into the future, the greatest sporting event on the planet with technology greater than anything we'll even possibly have for a long, long time and the world of the future is fascinated with it... Yup, that sounds impressive and grand to me, don't pin the jappy epic cliché onto it, far too many great games and such have fallen by the wayside from efforts to fill that one, let's not have that happen to WO, eh? :wink:

PSN ID

But it would be an alright idea to create your own pilot, craft, team, and mabye team history right? Mabye for the PS3? With more knowledge of Wipeout would mean more creativity. It would then be able to go online, and possibly be able to construct a track, ya? :wink:

PSN ID
    o_fluff

have u heard how powerful the ps3 will be?

4ghz processor clock
    and the gpu made by nVidia

expect wipeout ps3 to beh heuge! But lets hope that pure brings back the glory days tho eh?

Timezone
    GMT -8
    PSN ID
    zargz

Quote Originally Posted by judus
    I have loads of wipeout concepts with plenty of detail but unfortunately i do not have webspace to put them on, but if anyone would not mind these images sitting in their space and can post the link on this forum, ill be more than happy to send them.
    Get a free account at http://geocities.yahoo.com/
    15 Meg should be enough, right?

Preaterea censeo autopilotum esse delandam

read the Terms Of Service contract before getting ''free' webspace accounts. to compress it a bit, if you use one of those accounts, they have the right to use anything you put on there for any purpose they want. while this is intended primarily to give them the right to put adverts on your pages, to use your content as a lure to get people to see their advertising, the wording of the contract essentially gives them ownership of whatever you put on their servers. they can do anything with it, even sell the use of your drawings to someone else. whether they would ever bother to actually do such a thing is highly doubtful [and highly immoral], but legal as long as you give your implied consent by actually putting something on the server. your signature or explicit 'yes' is not necessary.

it did not stop me from having webpages on Angelfire, but it's still something you need to know and consider

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by Chill
    But it would be an alright idea to create your own pilot, craft, team, and mabye team history right?
    I don't think any of this fits an arcade racer like Wipeout. First of all, its perfect simplicity is what makes Wipeout what it is. And secondly, having any sort of character development in the game would distract from the racing part, and I wouldn't want that. I don't want to go through creating my own character before I can even start to fly. Let epic games be epic, they are good at it, but let Wipeout be Wipeout.

Ben

PSN ID

I agree, I was just testing you, gease!! :
    Ya, Wipeout wouldn't be any good with a bunch of clowned out characters and odd-ball crafts. It's about who can fly the same craft better. Not only that, but there would probably be experts making perfect crafts. But I still think the idea of building a track in your own name is AWESOME!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chill
    Well, how would you feel if you bought a Wipeout game that featured Harry Potter, Final Fantasy caracters, Lord of the Rings caracters, or other fantastic worlds. Along with flying along with magical crafts like a broom or a gummi ship (featured on Kingdom Hearts). Some things can't be. It has a totally different feeling to it than anything extremely fantastic. "Yes, I got the sword!" The sword would constanly club in front of the craft. "Yes, I cut off his dragon's tale!!"
    --
    Other than me being too mean (I'm super sorry, but that's what I believe ops: ), what about Wipeout could make it Epic?
    That's not what I meant fcol! lol. What I was on about is that by Epic I mean like Gran Turismo epic not only epic in graphics standards, playability etc. - but epic in 'character' as well - the sort of game that sets a standard. (being fair that game was huge when it was released and is still a good play even now)

I've got a few images I've been working on recently but no working scanner I'll upload them when I have got one.(or a friends...)

PSN ID

The word "Epic" means some kind of power or other form of something making somebody more powerful in some way. Look at all the Epic games, in most of them Magic is the epic's cause. This word was used in much Midieval Literature and in a lot of literature in the English Renaissance era. Just so you know (if you already know, don't worry about what I said). I really don't understand what you mean by epic characters in a racing game though. :?

that is not my understanding of the word 'epic'. it is usually used to describe events on a huge scale, space or time, involving either large or small numbers of people, but making a significant and long-lasting change in history. think in terms of an epic battle [such as the fictional Battle of Pellenor Fields in the Lord of the Rings, or the real Battle of the Bulge in World War II] or an epic quest, such as the Quest for the Holy Grail in Arthurian legend. sometimes a small event of far more than average intensity and of high interest to a limited segment of the population is described as 'epic'. examples would be an especially difficult football championship, or an automobile race such as the 1927 24 hours of Le Mans. such small 'epics' do not truly have longterm significance to history, but in a small space and time to fans, they can seem epic even though they are not. but we love them and feel them to be a major part of our own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by 2SU
    What I was on about is that by Epic I mean like Gran Turismo epic not only epic in graphics standards, playability etc. - but epic in 'character' as well
    Eeek. Gran Turismo has two massive things going for it:

1) Number of vehicles available for it, many of which are actually quite different (although there are insane numbers of near-identical Evos and Imprezas in the game)

2) Quality of the handling - the simulation of this is better than anything outside the PC.

One thing it definitely doesn't have, though, is character. It's mind-numbingly soulless; your opposition AI doesn't react to your driving well, their nameless cars are semi-randomly chosen from race to race, car models look like they've just rolled off the production line with personalisation largely limited to performance improvements you can make to your own car.

Wipeout is about racing. Every second spent not racing is a second wasted. So I don't want to watch cutscenes explaining some poorly-written plot, I don't want 18 different levels of menus to plug through in order to adjust my damper springs, and I don't want to spend an hour managing my team's finances in order to be able to purchase repairs.

Wipeout is already packed to the gills with character, but that character is in the way the AI moves, the look of the tracks, the soundtrack. When some Qirex bloke mines the hairpin's racing line, you want to smack him with a rocket for his trouble, not just nudge it into a spin and spend the rest of an overlong race like it's a timetrial.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by mid
    that character is in the way the AI moves
    I find I agree with everything you said, except the above. :) The thing is, I always thought the AI was the weakest part of the WO games, since AI ships more or less take their predetermined course around the track. WO3/SE, you may say, is something of an exception here, but then a little catch-up doesn't make up for the lack of being competitive.

Ben

They might in practice, but it doesn't feel that way as obviously when playing (to me, anyway). Watching the procession of 5 AI cars in Gran Turismo, all glued to the racing line with about 2 feet between their bumpers, doesn't give anything like the illusion of a race.

PSN ID

A.I. in Wipeout Fusion has a certain piloting style (a good example would be Tigron raming ingo things), so I think this is important. Not only does it provide a good idea on how to use a craft to it's full potential, but also it gives the game a more of a realistic approach.
    --
    Since good ol' Lance cleared epic up for me, I thought that races should be huge and expansive (like on a race track around space) with many contenders. Just take a visit to Fusion's site and imagine, it's awesome!! But I don't think it should make a big defference in the future, because their would be a huge population exesting then. Would they all be drawn to Wipeout? I don't think so, they'd probably have plenty of other things to worry about. And into the fusure, so many races would have taken place, that it would become more like horse races on TV-not very popular. But I believe very much in the large expansion... :wink: