Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The cheating

Does anyone know if there are some anti-cheating actions going on AT ALL on wipeoutfusion.com ? cause the cheating is totally ruining a feature in my beloved fusion.. the best feature.

Those boards are getting worse... some people just don't have a conscience do they? It's very annoying. Those boards could be very exciting if they could get rid of some of them cheaters lap times. :sad:

I fear that the league tables will die as people are turning their backs on it due to the disgusting amount of cheating. Well at least Zone mode doesn't appear to be affected (though it aint my cup of tea).

do you guys ever stop to think about how damned fortunate we are? we are of a dying breed; that of which the honor system actually works. i cant remember the last time we had to deal with a cheater, just honest mistakes for the most part. thats purdy cool, if i do say so.

yes, we are lucky here; and i hope it continues.

to a degree, cheating eventually becomes self-limiting; it's like a society in which there are a lot of thieves, it can't work unless there's a core of people who do honest work to produce something to steal. if everyone is a thief, there is nothing to steal. if everyone is a cheat, there is no honour left to steal.

ive found out that actions are being taken against the cheating on wipeoutfusion.com .
    Itll just take a little time, as scee has to deal with a third hand to edit the site.

The problem is... how do we know a cheaters time from a non cheaters time? I mean yeah we do have the blatently obvious times, but what about those bordering on possible to impossible (EG: a time that is 3 seconds faster than anybody elses)?

I think that the designers should have a model fastest time for each track. So times around that area and less could be accepted, but anything blatantly faster than that (3secs+) could be considered a cheat time.

i think thats how they plan to do

But that's just an unfair position since NO RACING GAME can "decide" a *best theorical time ever*.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

And why not?

The game designers know the top speed of a craft, they know the distance around the tracks, they know how many pick-ups you can get a lap and what effect they may have.

I'm pretty sure that even with some of the above information, they can arrive at the minimum time possible to do a circuit of a track.

in their calculations, they should probably include the Sartwell Factor.

hahahaha indeed!

My God!!!

Wamdue has been brainwashed by Kaientai!!

infox: I agree that you can have some theorical good time or bad time. but the theorical _best_ time is simply unbelievable as long as shortcuts are possible (other than the respawn *bug*, of course).
    There are a lot of "official" shortcuts given by weapons, like the penetrator, which can yield of serious cutoffs.

And I totally agree with Lance :wink:

Let me think
    (Don't think! Feeeeel!)

Surely there must be a mathmatical model for lap times, something along the line of;

(Shortest distance around circuit/Average speed of fastest AG craft)-error constant

This would take into account the quickest way around the track in the shortest possible time taking into account the fact that a pilot could get multiple turbos in a lap or some other form of performance enhancer (the Sartwell factor for instance)

okay, and then you would come on the conclusion that the best theorical time is 0:00.00 ! rin:

Obviously, it is.
    I agree that if someone makes a laptime inferior than 0:00.00, then you can assume he's cheating :wink:

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Why the heck would the lowest possible lap time be zero?

Are you just being argumentative for a bit of one upmanship, Vincoof, or do you actually have a point to prove at the end of all this?

I know for a fact that the developers know the fastest lap time available around each course. The courses might be virtual, but they are built to the same rules as a regular, real life racing circuit. There is a set distance for the shortest lap. There is a maximum speed that the corners can be taken at with the fastest craft and a maximum speed they can attain along the straights.

They can factor in things like turbos and people cutting corners as much as they are physically allowed to. Then they can arrive at a time that it is not possible to beat unless you have cheated, either by a re-spawning bug, or fast ship cheat, or you have simply used Action Replay to con the game.

If someone playing an F1 game tells you they done a sub-minute lap of Monza, you know they are taking the piss. If someone tells you that the fastest possible lap time at Monza is 0:00:00 then you don't have to be Michael Schumacher to know that cant be done without cheating (and he'd know all about that!).

So - explain to me - as clearly as you can, how it is impossible to tell if someone is cheating, and how a lap time of zero is possible without it being classed as a cheat!?

I am dying to read this - really I am - it's goanna be so great to have this revelation that will change the way I see physics and the rest of the known universe! :

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: infoxicated on 2002-03-11 21:35 ]</font>

eventually this will all be straightened out when sony doesn't care about their site anymore and a fan site gets the times tables.

On 2002-03-11 15:35, Hyper Shadow wrote:
    Let me think
    (Don't think! Feeeeel!)
    lol :smile:

Vincoof, your logic is definatly flawed.

If you are thinking that the error constant is capable of being the same as the laptime, what are you thinking, or if you think the shortest lap is 0 or the fastest a craft can go is 0.
    What I was trying to say is, that a turbo would create a 'spike' in the average, thus making it higher than normal, the error constant would compensate for this. In my estimation, a well placed turbo (in TT mode) can add up to about 2 seconds (I found this during the Cubiss Float 1 challenge)