Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One up, Pure Preview.

Default One up, Pure Preview.

http://1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3137236&did=1

http://members.optusnet.com.au/starpet1/pure.jpg

There are 12 new tracks and four classic tracks (one each from the previous four games in the series) in the game. The classic tracks are Manortop (Wip3out), Karbonis (WipEout), Sagarmatha (WipEout XL) and Mandrashee (Wipeout Fusion).
    Manortop _on
    Of the five games SCEE showed at their event, Wipeout Pure showed the most promise, and with downloadable content on the way, all we need to get excited is confirmation of a U.S. release for the game. We'll be back with more soon.

Sounding really gooood!!!

:

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Besides the Tournament, Single Race, Free Race and Time Trial game modes, there's wireless multiplayer racing.
    Does anybody know what Free Race is?

BTW: image edited into a link as per the ususal low bandwidth friendly forums policy.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Maybe it's a race that you can configure the way you like playing most (number of laps, damage on/off, weapons on/off, competing ship types and the like)? Dunno for sure, though.

EDIT Almost forgot:
    [...]Sagarmatha (WipEout XL)[...]
    GOOD choice! Design-wise Sagarmartha has always been among my favourits from all WOs.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Why couldn't they have included all the tracks from previous wipeouts? There were so many good ones. Talon IV, Valpariso, Vostok Island, Gare d' Europa, P-Mar Project, Mega-Mall, Firestar......

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Most probably because it takes time. Also, it is important to come up with something that says "I'm new!" in order to make the game attractive for the majority of players. Most people want evolution, not retro. :) The latter is for freaks like us but doesn't sell as good. Plus, you want to show off with what your new engine can do - for which you need tracks that are built specifically to make use of new features. And then, at the end of the day, I - as a developer - would love to look at what I have achieved and be able to say: "Well, here's what _I_ did!" :) All in all, getting some of the older tracks is a nice and welcomed feature, but a game lives or dies from what it is as a stand-alone.

Ben

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Quote Originally Posted by Download me, Please
    the plan is to offer gamers the chance to remix some of the music at the Wipeout Pure website, and then transfer the remixes into the game.
    Cool, can't wait for that one

Yeah this is sounding awesome, would rather have had Terminal than Manor Top myself but I know Manor Top's the most popular so i'll not argue

Interesting that they're doing it all on one island in a similar way to W3O's mega city idea, sounds like a nice idea indeed :

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Pure is sounding better all the time I'm definately buying a PSP now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    Why couldn't they have included all the tracks from previous wipeouts? There were so many good ones. Talon IV, Valpariso, Vostok Island, Gare d' Europa, P-Mar Project, Mega-Mall, Firestar......
    I agree Gare d' Europa for ever!!! you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and running

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I agree Gare d' Europa for ever!!! you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and running
    Gare d'Europa is the only track I played about as often as Talon's Reach. Maybe it's the apostrophes! *cough*
    Seriously though, it was the only track availble in the PC demo and I instantly fell in love with it! God, I even played it in software mode and it didn't matter (,which, however, made me wonder why the retail version didn't have such an option. And not that my buying a 3D accelerator helped 3DFX all that much... ;) ).

Anyway, I was thinking that maybe they have the guts and technology to allow players build their own courses. I don't need mods for Wipeout (interesting thought, though...), but having an active scene making bonus material - hell, I'd even pay for that! At least a little.

Ben

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

You guys forget, they're going to have downloadable tracks.

I have a feeling we'll likely see more classic tracks there.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Quote Originally Posted by Assegai Developments
    you never know they may offer some of the older tracks for download once its all up and running
    TRUE! I didn't think of that, I'm just not used to extra content downloads with Sony games :
    It would be so cool if they offered "retro pack" downloads that give you more classic tracks and ships. That would be something I'd even pay for.

Man, between this and custom soundtracks in F1 04, I may have to opt for a 512 mem stick!

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

[quote="Sven"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Assegai Developments
    Man, between this and custom soundtracks in F1 04, I may have to opt for a 512 mem stick!
    Hell, maybe they'll have custom soundtracks in Pure too.

Just think... Body in Motion, Messij, etc.

PSN ID
    Thruster2097

A fully customisable wipeout has got to be the closest thing to spiritual nirvana. To have all of the original tracks from all of the original wipeouts sounds like a fantastic idea, but realistically it will never happen. Even the expansion packs will probably hold a further three tracks each from each game.

Just out of curiosity, did anyone else notice the Wip3out Auricom on the screenshot?

If Pure turns out to be a success which judging by the screens and footage, it obviously will be, i think the same team should seriously consider revisiting the PS2 platform. The hardware isn't too bad considering and they should't deny PS2 owners the right to have a good wipeout version on this platform... after all, there were three versions (not counting special edition) of the original series before they moved on.
    We could even see online features available... more people have broadband now more than ever (there are many private server programs you can play ps2 games on), and perhaps make use of a PS2 hard drive (not sure if this was released or yet to be or even cancelled) who knows, it could go in hand with the psp, place tracks and ships onto the bigger console version, or take tracks with you on psp........Just a thought after reading the interview of wipeout fusion in the article section....

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O

btw, would someone care to refresh my memory on which track they took from Fusion? I remember tracks, but not names...I haven't touched the game in like two years. Will Pure have any inversions like Fusion did?

Wasn't mandsharee boring as I recall. What about the track with all the tunnels and quick jumps. I don't really think sagarmatha is a good choice either(it was already in 3se). What about valparaiso? I'm not too worried about it though in that there will be downloadable content. What about Velocitar!! wo64

They really should have put Devilia in the game. That track was wasted in Fusion because you could only use it in the challenges. It would've been nice to actually race on it.

PSN ID
    Hybrid_Divide

Quote Originally Posted by ZOOLANDER
    What about Velocitar!! wo64
    Velocitar was fun, but I'd have to throw in my vote for Terafumos.

Love that track.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

I also agree that they had to concentrate mostly in new tracks and not depend too much in old ones, no matter how popular they might be.

The reason? Well, what pisses me off about Nintendo handhelds is that they always go through the same old worn off cycle: Mario, Pokémon, Zelda, etc. Doing simple remakes that sport very little innovation.

However, I will consider myself glad if I can download Phenitia Park, Valparaiso and P-Mar Project in the future.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Quote Originally Posted by Sven
    Actually, considering the state of the PS2's life cycle, I think a PS3 launch title would be more prudent 8O?
    One of the head honchos at EA said recently that they gave up on the PS1 too early - you cant abandon the machine with a massive userbase just to chase the latest technology. Considering there are 80 million PS2's out there and rising, any game would sell in good numbers if it's released on the PS2 even if it only sells to a few percent of the potential market.

Personally I'd love to see another PS2 version of Wipeout - I haven't felt the need to own a handheld since I had my Lynx and I was at college, so I probably wont be splashing out on a PSP. On the other hand, I have three PS2's, a wireless network in my home that one is connected to, and soon to be two when TS3 is released, so I have no real need for a PSP.

PSN ID
    The_Boye

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    I have no real need for a PSP.
    Aye right!