Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WipEout Pure Developer interview on IGN!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

Looking at those pics, it is true that the track borders are a bit too vertical for my taste.
    All wipeouts have had something in the 60º-70º range while the screenshots seem to be closer to 80º (data is subjective, your degrees may vary).

Exclusive preview content for WipeoutZone would kick ass. Not that I'm extremely confident of getting any. Game review sites and mags seem a bit tyrannic with development studios in this sense (exclusive content, being first to release some info and that kind of stuff).

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Which brings me to the question of how the walls worked in Fusion. I never played it, but from comparing Fusion and Pure screenshots I was thinking that Pure might be using a similar collision/scraping model. So what DID happen in the PS2 incarnation when riding into a wall?

Ben

PSN ID
    infoxicated

In Fusion the walls were almost magnetic - it was difficult to get off of a wall once you'd hit it, but they didn't really decrease your speed much. Al found out that it was quicker to scrape around the outside of the corners than it was to turn through them. Fortunately, Pure is similar to Wipeout 3 in the wall scraping department.

Which is nice.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    xEik

If my memory serves me well, Mr Startwell is a detractor of WO3 turboscraping.
    IMNSHO the best scraping is found in 2097: almost no slow down at all, almost no shield damaging and with great effects: that is plenty of sparkles and a high pitched sound of metal surfaces doing the old rubbing.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    In Fusion the walls were almost magnetic - it was difficult to get off of a wall once you'd hit it, but they didn't really decrease your speed much. Al found out that it was quicker to scrape around the outside of the corners than it was to turn through them.
    Gnaawww - one of the biggest design mistakes being done over and over again. :-(

Fortunately, Pure is similar to Wipeout 3 in the wall scraping department.

Which is nice.
    Which it is!!! Thank god! :-) Although I don't like turboscraping most...

Quote Originally Posted by xEik
    IMNSHO the best scraping is found in 2097: almost no slow down at all, almost no shield damaging and with great effects: that is plenty of sparkles and a high pitched sound of metal surfaces doing the old rubbing. :P
    "Yes!", "absolutely right" and "dito"! :) Scraping in XL had that excellent feel of real scraping metal to it. That, combined with the sense of speed that didn't get lost while scratching the rust off the wall, still is one of the things that makes XL my favourite game of all time.
    Scraping WOULD slow you down, but not to the effect that it become a burden during normal races. Having to prevent scraping in TT and SR record runs is OK though. So the bottom line is that the "mixture" in XL was perfect and has since been unsurpassed.

Ben

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

off-topic noob question: What exactly turbo scraping?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

In previous versions of the game, if you scraped a wing against the wall, you got a boost on certain parts of certain tracks.

Fortunately it's a thing of the past - it made no sense and I'm glad we wont be seeing it in Pure.

Timezone
    GMT -5
    PSN ID
    Sven-RIT

Oh, I thought it had something to do with hyperthrusting while scraping the end of a corner or some such thing.

I think I've experienced this "turboscraping" phenomenon before, but I didn't think anything of it, and I also don't see how I could use it to help my laps. My brain has enough trouble trying to process Phantom class in just a straight line, lol!

Argh, why does this have to be so far away...

turboscraping pretty much happens only in WO3

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

I'm going off turboscraping as time goes by, repeated crashes magnified by multiple times thanks to turbo scraping boosts are really wearing on me