Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Weapons and Tracks

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Maybe there could be some kind of feature wheras inversions are possible only when launching off jumps, dunno how it would work, (maybe there's a button combination required and maybe it can be used for shortcutting purposes) but it would stop the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.

I personally like the way the game's looking so far, looks like the technology of everything's starting to catch up with the AG technology;. i'm no graphics designer though so wha'do I know?

Weapons? Mines in a line, not sure about superweapons and i'd like to see the force wall make another appearance, it acted as a really good track obstruction and made you think harder and be a little more on edge while playing 2P.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimension
    the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.
    Do i sense the irony here (just asking, becouse i've always had problems with that)?
    I didn't say that loops are boring. I just don't like to feel like driving a matchbox toy car, when I know I'm flying an AG craft.

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

I hope the CPU ships use all the available weapons, it doesn’t seem fair if they only use a few it's like you have un unfair advantage, it would have been great on WO 3 if they used the force wall as you'd have to react quickly to avoid it, I agree with the statement about the rockets they should all fire at once and the mines. Also, on Fusion when the ships collided with each other they seemed really heavy, I thought it was better on the previous games when there was a funny little tink sort of sound and a lighter feel. I also want to see some decent track damage caused by stray weapons!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Maybe there could be some kind of feature wheras inversions are possible only when launching off jumps, dunno how it would work, (maybe there's a button combination required and maybe it can be used for shortcutting purposes) but it would stop the problem of being stuck to the track and the oh-so boring loops.
    I don't think this would work well in the game. Imagine you would have to press some extra buttons ever time some mid-air action is desirable... It also wouldn't stop the problem of being stuck to the track, since everyone could, in theory, gett off the track at any given time.

Ben

A London track please, with races dropping gimmickally into disused underground train tunnels.

Graphic design looks like it's going to be done by Good Technology again, if some of the cover-shots are anything to go by.

¥

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I can stomp that one out right away - Good Technology have nothing to do with it at all.

Default Too late?

We should have been making these kind of recommendations when the game as first mentioned - its probably way too late now for anyone to take notice as Im sure theyre well into development by now...

PSN ID
    Rapier_Racer -OFW-

Quote Originally Posted by infoxicated
    I can stomp that one out right away - Good Technology have nothing to do with it at all.
    Can you shed any light on who is involved instead?

PSN ID
    infoxicated

Nope, sorry.

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

Quote Originally Posted by G'Kyl
    I don't think this would work well in the game. Imagine you would have to press some extra buttons ever time some mid-air action is desirable... It also wouldn't stop the problem of being stuck to the track, since everyone could, in theory, gett off the track at any given time.

Ben
    Oh well, it was an idea I can't really see any other way to have inversions in there though, especially not loops

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I never played Fusion. What makes it so bad flying through loops?

From where I stand I don`t see the problem of having a floaty flight model on twisted tracks. With todays technical potential designers should well be able to build tracks so that shortcutting and "illegal" flight paths are impossible for any pilots on any craft. Quantum Redshift, for instance, did a good job at allowing multiple routes without giving you any chance of cutting where it shouldn't be possible. And mind you, the game hat quite its share of floatiness... :) So - getting back to the point - does all of this really obviate immersion?

Ben

PSN ID
    Galeforce43

heh, neither have I played it ops: but from what I can gather, it's exactly what made loops fairly uninteresting and pointless in F-Zero GX in that you just feel like you're flying in a straight line, adding more pointless straights effecitvely more of a problem in wipEout though because the tracks are much smaller and twistyer (is that even a word?) than in F-Zero

Also, interesting to hear that good Technology have nothing to do with Pure, from what you all say they're not up to tDR's level and since tDR and what's now SCEE seem to not be on talking terms (at least that's what I figure, having not been involved with fusion), who's gonna do all the designs? Internal job or summat

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

[...] it's exactly what made loops fairly uninteresting and pointless in F-Zero GX in that you just feel like you're flying in a straight line, adding more pointless straights effecitvely :?
    Hmm, OK, but how do you want to do loops otherwise? Having some rarely spread ones, preferably after more difficult passages, and also having no glued-to-track gravity should make loops interesting enough. :)

I can just imagine it: Getting out of a fast but tricky downhill tunnel chicane, turning into the right and, still at full speed, being instantly sucked into a small loop that goes down almost in a straight at its "back" end, then leads right back into the mountain, where you come out straight again from the final twist. Hmm, I think I will be having sweet dreams tonight. :-)

Ben

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

I've seen the screenshots of WipEout Pure in this big size and... I can't explain it... this game will be soooooooo great!!!!!

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/...reenindex.html

the ships, the explositions, the tracks, the rain! You can see the rain at the screen! The plasmabolt! The team-logos! (Of course Qirex's!!) 8O

I have to get this game!!!!

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Hey Sausehuhn! Let's get that PSP fast and meet some day... Maybe Sony will have some kind of a party here as well so we could do it like those English guys want to... :)

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Great idea!! In march we will fight against each other :

:wink:

I'd be happy with the game to be like 2097 only with updated graphics. The loops were a great idea and it was fun to play but I missed the floaty feel of the other games more.

I'm pleased there aren't too many tracks either, Fusion had too many really. It's best to just have a few and playtest them to death so it's more fun to relplay a track than simply move on to a new one.

I'd like them to go back to basics with the weapons too. Hopefully no crappy ones from Fusion like the proton and the flamethrower (god they were bad).

I'd be interested to hear what everyone prefered when it comes to the announcers warnings of weapons. By that I mean do you like the 2097/XL style of the announcer saying the weapon attacking you, or the Wip3out style of the announcer saying the weapon you pick up and simply saying 'warning' when attacked.

In many ways I wish they weren't making this game because I'm skint and I know I'll end up buying a PSP for it. Ah well

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Personally, I liked the XL way a lot better, but from a practical standpoint, having the announcer tell you what you just picked up and so save you from looking up from the track to catch the weapon symbol is better suited to keep you in the flow of the game. The only thing I had wished for was the announcer to differenciate between attacks from behind on the one hand and upcoming mines on the other.
    And just an idea that I think could bring the best from XL and 3 together: Why not have the male announcer tell you what you are being shot with while the female one tells you what you pick up? Then again, two announcers would probably meddle with the notion of one continuous style...

Ben

PSN ID
    o_fluff

or like in unreal tournament 2004 you can pick male or female and english or american or something like that - then you can pick...

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

I'd pick the Indian kid for co-piloting support, then! ;)

Ben