Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wipeout Fusion - Is it REALLY worth buying?

Default Wipeout Fusion - Is it REALLY worth buying?

I ask you this as a Wipeout saga fan. I started to wonder if I should buy this game for the sake of it (or at least for the Zone Mode), or spend the money on something else...
    I know WF is a state of art when it comes to bugs, bad ship design and all these things that have been mentioned on "10 things I hate about Wipeout Fusion" topic. ...... But it's still wipeout.
    As a fan, a huge fan of the series I stand in front of a tough decision:
    - To buy WF, play some time....leave it (but be happy to own a complete collection of Wipeouts)
    - To buy a better game....(but not to own every Wipeout released on Playstation (1 & 2)...being not so satisfied with it..)

I'm confused, so any help will be appreciated. I wouldn't be even bothered by this problem if I had a steady income, but since I don't...

PSN ID
    infoxicated

I would say no if it were the last ever Wipeout, as it would forever tarnish your impression of what the series was originally about.

But since Wipeout Pure will be infinitely better I say you should pick it up, armed with the knowledge that the series will return to its roots at some point.

For me, the game is worth playing for a few reasons:

~ Reverse quakes - looking back and firing one away at the pack is cool.
    ~ Mandrashee 2 or 3 with a fully upgraded ship... faster than anything else.
    ~ Zone mode - I'm not a big fan myself, but it is good fun to see how fast you can go.
    ~ The jump at the end of Florion Heights 3 - it has the whole weeeeeee! thing about it.
    ~ The inverse loop drop on the moon track - your heart will skip a beat first time you do it, and probably the next few times too.

You'll probably be able to get it dirt cheap now, too, so go on - complete your collection.

its an alright game for £15 (purchased at hmv)
    if you get bored of it you can always cheat on zone and try and chase a quake : (you need infinte health and weapons) upgraded ships and super weapons add extra variety and more skill,

So it's for WF then. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll aim at the latest Gran Turismo as well, but Wipeout will always come first. No matter how ruined, and spoiled WF is, it's still Wipeout....

you do have a point i bought fusion twice now just becouse its wipeour and it was £15

If you can find it super dirty cheap, go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, rent it.

you could buy it for at about £16 max new and about a fiver for second hand do a kelkoo search thats good for finding games i bought my first fusion at £15 then again in april for a tener so if you have money to waste then go and buy it but dont expect any thing special mind you

Hi to All!

I always had WO from the first edition, and for me WO Fusion is not so bad like many people here on the zone says... Yes, is different and you can like it or not, but I think that every chapter of this game, has more or less something different from the others. The point for me is: it's always wipeout. And, in my opinion, is even more amazing. The personality of the pilots and the teams are more defined, the super-weapons that you can only get with challenges in many specialities, the AG-leagues, that give you the opportunity of earning money and upgrade the ships, and the zone mode... But yes, the driving feel it's slightly different... :wink:
    So for me: go and take it.

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    GKyl

Welcome to the forums.

Hmmm, lately I had the amazing idea of renting a PS2 and Fusion from a blockbuster to at least get an idea of what the game is about. Anyway, R3rr0, aren't the feel and mechanics of the flight engine what Wipeout mostly is about...? ;) There are many other racing games out there and they all, more or less, try to recapture some of what became popular with the initial installment, none however have so far been able to recreate the feel of the WO series. Which is why I already feel bad about Fusion without ever having played it ;) - they should always stick, for the larger part, to what WO is about, but after what I heard seem to have failed in that.

Ben

Well, I say it's slightly different, not that is like playn' World Rally Championship or F1 sim! But doesn't matter, try it and judge by yourself, for me remain a good game, hope that will be another soon (but not for PSP! I don't want to buy it! )!

PSN ID
    DaMiGiSan, DaMiGiX

I fully agree with you on that one,I probably won't be dropping even a nickel towards a PSP,hopefully,they'll have sense enough to bring a new Wipeout to the PS 2 or even the PS 3 :wink:

Sorry to drag up an old topic again but Toys R Us do Wipeout Fusion for £4.99

Timezone
    GMT + 1
    PSN ID
    sausehuhn

Buy it!

You have a PS2, like the WipEout series and want the complete collection of WipEout and a very good racing game, too? Then buy WipEout Fusion. This is not a promotion for this game, it's my opinion (yes, really!!)

You have many things in this game, and I would say it's the best WipEout ever. The flying style is differnet to the others, but it's not worse. Some people at the zone here say it's not a WipEout game, but I can't confirm that.
    The modes, the ships, the weapons (at this point many wiper stand up and will say "There are too many weapons!!") and the whole game is a thing you should have. And it's cheap.
    In zone mode you can fly the fastest ship ever (woohoo, get zone 67 on florion height 3), the multiplayer mode is the best of all games. You can change the laps, oponents, weapons, energy and a lot more there.
    And not just in this mode. The game has so many good, new things. For examlpe the grafics.

So, buy that game. And if you really say "Argh?! What's that?!" you can sell it in Ebay.

At least I will quote myself:

>>The game is too easy, that's the only thing that makes the game worse...<<

Default Is it worth buying?

I got it for £4.99 from Gamestation. As a long term Wipeout nut having read the reviews I avoided this first time around on PS2. Not the best but I've had my £4.99 worth.

Looking forward to PS3 on-line version......>

This is the worst Wipeout EVER, and shouldn't even be called Wipeout.

Bad front-end
    Bad controls
    Bad design
    Not fun

Should you pick it up? No.

Default Wipeouts fusion is......

Really not that bad.

I am not really a fan of the wipeout serie. I first played it as demo on psone and was not amused. I finally rented it at gamecrazy and I must say it was fun.I have played other racing games before like gt3 and other rally games but this ones diffrent.First of all the music is awesome(I turn up my V3 powered spekers and subwofer at the start of the game) and the enviroments are great.
    I looked on the boards expecting it to have recieved a high rating but was suprised that everybody hated it.From my findings it was because it was not what they had come to expect in the wipeout series and also because some of the originasl production team was absent.From my opinion I don't think that's how to rate a game.I think wipeout fusion is a great game for all it's worth and I think video game players showed stop playing games expecting to get the same experience all over again(that's why it's called wipeout fusion and not wipeout 3). and I don't think wipeout pure is gonna look like wipeout fusion either. thank you.

PSN ID
    infoxicated

There was much more wrong with Wipeout Fusion than just the handling being different from the earlier games in the series. Nobody was expecting the same experience all over again, we were expecting a better one on the new generation of console, but instead it turned out to be a flawed title and a poor relation to its predecessors.

PSN ID
    o_fluff

Don't get me wrong. If this was a wipeout clone it would've probably be the best. (I havent played quantum redshift so i couldn't talk about that)

But as it is from the heritage of wipeout it was as shambles compared. It was very ambitious - i seriously loved the inverted circuits there were but because of that the physics engine was scrapped. I loved the mass of weapons and the firework displays yu endured while playing untill i realised that i never went any faster than 60mph. I am proud of what was achieved. The huge environments and the brillians effects were amazing to me. It came up with a lot of ideas but even though most of them weren't successful. It does mean there wont be a chance of that happeneing again.

I have had about 75 hrs of playtime on fusion - on major reason was i didn't realise that turning of the console while it save swipes you memory card - twice A few months ago i picked up a copy of 3:se and never looked back since.

My verdict: buy it cheap - but don't expect miracles.

PSN ID
    VHX1138: PSP, PS3, PS4, PS5, Steam

I thought the expectations for this game were just way too large. The look of the graphics, it's official site (or at least that only effected me), and the game comming out in the new PS2! What could be better!! It's gotta have wonderful flight and huge speed right?! Wrong! It had slower speeds and was hard to fly! And when reaching the higher speed classes, um, where is the competition. I could overlap the other racers twice in a race!! Where's the speed and competition mixture?!! I love competition at high speeds, not at slow speeds. It's just incredibly boring to me. I need competition at high speeds, and the tracks shouldn't be so large!! If it would be that large, there needs to be more competition, so I only like races where the craft race closer together. WF feels way too much like a cross country race, not for Wipeout!! Their's more where that came from, but I'm done. Allrighty?!! Welcome to the Zone!! :wink:

Timezone
    GMT + 10
    PSN ID
    rejj

If you can find Fusion for (very) cheap, buy it and play until you unlock Zone mode... then just play that. It's the best bit of Fusion by far.